Preparing for Tre White to never be the same post-injury

Einstein

It's certainly a concern and the odds do point to considerable risks and Tre never returning to be the same player that he used to be.  There are some people who have great genetics and advances in medicine/therapy/treatments continue to improve.  We also know that Tre will outwork just about anyone for his rehab so if there was anyone who could return to near his level pre injury, Tre would be the person.

I'm hopeful but also somewhat mentally prepared to see a physically lesser Tre.

would like to see another vet brought in. I don’t want White rushed back.  It looks like Bills planning on Elam and Jackson as starting CB’s barring vet competition.  

Another thought: what if Elam or Jackson gets hurt while White is out?   Really need that Vet.  Waiting for camp cuts is my guess.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Magox said:

It's certainly a concern and the odds do point to considerable risks and Tre never returning to be the same player that he used to be.  There are some people who have great genetics and advances in medicine/therapy/treatments continue to improve.  We also know that Tre will outwork just about anyone for his rehab so if there was anyone who could return to near his level pre injury, Tre would be the person.

I'm hopeful but also somewhat mentally prepared to see a physically lesser Tre.

The title implies that it is inevitable that Tre will be physically lesser in the end. It’s a slight possibility that he drops off a bit this year and moving forward. It’s FAR from a certainty. We know initially it will be a slow start, but we have to wait to see how quickly he gets back to form. 

I agree, nobody will work harder than Tre to come back and be as good, or better, than ever. It’s OK to prepare for the possibility that Tre is never 100% physically, but I doubt I can tell the difference between that and 98% from here on my couch. It’s also possible that as he refines his craft, the more veteran Tre will be better overall at 98% health but with a few more tricks in his bag. 

Time will tell, no need to panic now. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Good enough to win the division, yes. I’m talking about being Championship Caliber

Good enough to win the division, yes. I’m talking about being Championship Caliber

No offense to Tre but I don't think we need him to win a Super Bowl. As  long as Von is as good as advertised the increased pass rush / pressure put on the qb will make the corners jobs a lot easier as they will have to cover way less time. 

No offense to Tre but I don't think we need him to win a Super Bowl. As  long as Von is as good as advertised the increased pass rush / pressure put on the qb will make the corners jobs a lot easier as they will have to cover way less time. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

would like to see another vet brought in. I don’t want White rushed back.  It looks like Bills planning on Elam and Jackson as starting CB’s barring vet competition.  

Another thought: what if Elam or Jackson gets hurt while White is out?   Really need that Vet.  Waiting for camp cuts is my guess.  

We might see one brought in but I think the Bills are expecting Tre White to be ready towards the end of camp and ready to start week 1. Until we hear about a setback we should all expect the same.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

The title implies that it is inevitable that Tre will be physically lesser in the end. It’s a slight possibility that he drops off a bit this year and moving forward. It’s FAR from a certainty. We know initially it will be a slow start, but we have to wait to see how quickly he gets back to form. 

I agree, nobody will work harder than Tre to come back and be as good, or better, than ever. It’s OK to prepare for the possibility that Tre is never 100% physically, but I doubt I can tell the difference between that and 98% from here on my couch. It’s also possible that as he refines his craft, the more veteran Tre will be better overall at 98% health but with a few more tricks in his bag. 

Time will tell, no need to panic now. 

Yes no one knows what paths their lives will take.  If Tre can work through the injury that is wonderful.  I'm glad he did get his second contract prior to getting injured as he certainly earned his payday.  The fact Tre always had an edge because he studied film on opponents.  That gives him a buffer as he regains his physical abilities.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We might see one brought in but I think the Bills are expecting Tre White to be ready towards the end of camp and ready to start week 1. Until we hear about a setback we should all expect the same.

that would be quite something.  I hope this is it.  If not, post TC pickup of a vet likely.  

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It’s days old now but 

He’s looking gooood 👍🏻  😊 

Date under it says it's from 2020.  So this isn't a clip from OTAs.  Time will tell when White is back to his old self if he does regain his form.  Von Miller may have some rehabbing advice for Tre as well since he's recovered from his very nicely.  

On 5/24/2022 at 6:33 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pretty sobering.

my only response would be to hope that these stats reflect more of the “average” NFL player. A lot of the NFL “elite” tore their ACL’s and went onto have productive careers. Von Miller and Darrell Revis both come to mind. 

Cooper Kupp

AP

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dje85 said:

Don't forget, you can get a lot of pressure on the QB from improved DB coverage, too!

IMO, that is a more effective way of generating pressure.

It all fits together and it's not this vs. that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, Einstein said:

This post may draw some knee-jerk reactions of anger, but please know that it wasn't written to make anyone upset. Unfortunately, the topic is naturally upsetting - We all love Tre White and want him to return to his typical dominant play. To that end, I've done some research on ACL injuries in NFL players. The common refrain from NFL fans is that ACL injuries are no longer the career-ender they once were, and I wanted to see if that was true. Unfortunately, research on players returning post ACL surgery is not optimistic, even in the modern era.

One study, Return to Play and Decreased Performance After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Defensive Players published in the The American Journal of Sports Medicine (2017), shows that:

• After the season of surgery, athletes in the ACLR group who returned to play decreased to 57% games started and 2.38 ± 1.24 solo tackles per game, while their matched controls suffered no significant decreases. (link)

And the result of the study indicated rather succinctly:

• Players who successfully returned were above-average NFL players before their injury but comparatively average after their return.

Another study, this one published in 2022, titled Return to Play and Performance After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Players shows similar results. Published in the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, the results stated:

• Of the eligible players, only 28.5% (n = 59/207) remained in the league 3 years postinjury. Within the first 3 years postinjury, players played in fewer games (8.7 vs 13.7; P < .0001), started in fewer games (3.0 vs 8.3; P < .0001), had lower AVs (1.5 vs 4.3; P < .0001), and had decreased snap counts (259.0 vs 619.0; P < .0001) compared with preinjury. (link)

The conclusion of the study is no better:

• The study findings indicated that NFL players are severely affected by ACL injury, with only 28.5% still active in the league 3 years after the injury. Running backs, defensive linemen, and linebackers performed the worst after injury. v

Lastly, a 2019 study that examined ACL tears in Wide Receivers (I used this study because the WR position requires similar impact on the ACL). This study is titled 

Decreased Performance and Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Wide Receivers. Published in The Arthroscopy Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation issue, the study found that:

• When we compared the tear group with the matched control cohort, players with ACL tears ended their careers on an average of 1.9 seasons earlier (2.2 vs 4.1 seasons, P < .001) and also played less than half the number of games (25.5 vs 56.6 games, P = .001), respectively. Those that RTP also saw decreased performance statistics in targets (353.6 vs 125.2 P < .001), receptions (208.0 vs 74.4, P = .001), receiving yards (2691.0 vs 987.9, P = .001), and touchdowns (17.4 vs 6.2, P = .002). (link)
  • One potential good tidibt: "no significant differences were present between preinjury and postinjury in-game in all in-game statistics for the wide receiver"

Overall Conclusion? Concern.

There is a legitimate chance that Tre never returns to the level of play he showed in 2021 and prior, and there is a potential that his career will be shorter than we once thought.

This is why I would still like the Bills to add a veteran CB

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, SlimShady&#x27;sSpaceForce said:

It’s days old now but 

He’s looking gooood 👍🏻  😊 

Is this from last week?! ? No red jersey? Pads, helmet and actually covering deep routes??? Nah. This must be from last season.

I think if we were talking about a player that relies completely on athletic ability we should be concerned.  But Tre is a cerebral player, my hope is Elam gets up to speed quickly…if he can, White can take on WR2 when he returns. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.