Tua impressing in Miami

FilthyBeast

On 6/2/2022 at 1:17 PM, Mat68 said:

Tua a is passenger.  Imo Tua can play on a winning team and be a tough out for Buffalo. Tua wont beat Buffalo.  The Dolphins will be the Bills.  Buffalo has an ace up its sleeve every week.  Josh Allen can just be the best player on the field and unless you have a guy to match your losing.  They may not keep him because he wont meet the expectations of being drafted ahead of Herbert.  Overall, during the drought years Tua would have been better than just about all of the guys between Kelly and Allen.  

Sorry but I’ll take Drew Bledsoe  , Flutie and Fitzpatrick just the few of the top of my head over Tua 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The idea that the Dolphins have more talent than the Bills except QB.... errrr no they don't. 

Wide Receiver - Advantage Miami, sure. Hill and Diggs kinda cancel one another out but Waddle's explosiveness gives him the edge over Gabe. Both teams have solid guys in the slot and I'd give the Dolphins the advantage in depth outside but the Bills the advantage in slot depth. 

Tight End - A wash. Yes Gesicki is a weapon but he should really be considered with the receivers. He played at the actual tight end spot on fewer than a 100 snaps in 2021. Knox has vastly improved in both blocking and receiving. I think you could also argue Howard gives the Bills the depth edge.

Offensive line - A wash. I am a critic of the Bills oline but the Dolphins isn't that different. Both have a very good left tackle. Armstead probably slightly better than Dawkins ability wise but reliability is a major question. In 9 seasons in the league he has never played 16 games and has played 14 or more only three times. So Dawkins availability makes that a wash. Both have talented 2nd year players at right tackle who need to step up on their rookie showings and both have question marks inside. 

Running Back - Advantage Dolphins - just from a depth perspective they have guys in Edmunds, Michel, Mostart and Gaskin. But neither team is super impressive there.

Defensive Line - Advantage Bills - Von Miller and Ed Oliver are studs that the Dolphins can't match, as much as Ogbah and Wilkins are not bad players. Both have second year edge rushers out of Miami who had promising rookie years and will want to take the next step. The Bills have superior depth too. 

Linebacker - Slam Dunk Advantage Bills. Edmunds and Milano vs Jerome Baker and Elandon Roberts? Really? No contest. 

Defensive Backs - A wash. The Bills are better at safety though Jevon Holland was good as a rookie and looks promising. Right now I think you would have to give the Dolphins the edge at corner. I think a healthy Tre White is the best of the group but Xavien Howard is not far behind and is healthy. Byron Jones is one of the best #2 corners in the league and was a serviceable #1 corner in Dallas. Kaiir Elam is as yet an unknown quantity. Bills have the edge at Nickel with Taron Johnson one of the best in the business. 

Looks like the rosters are pretty similar to me. The only area where I would give Miami a clear advantage is in terms of receiving options with Hill, Waddle, Wilson, Williams and Gesicki (as essentially a "big slot"). If someone wants to make the argument that if you swapped the Quarterbacks Miami would be AFCE favourites then of course I'd agree with that. But even with Tua at QB the Bills roster is a playoff roster IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

When a team has to make a huge deal out of their QB making a 50 yard throw in practice you know they are really insecure and not confident in his ability to actually do it in a game.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The idea that the Dolphins have more talent than the Bills except QB.... errrr no they don't. 

Wide Receiver - Advantage Miami, sure. Hill and Diggs kinda cancel one another out but Waddle's explosiveness gives him the edge over Gabe. Both teams have solid guys in the slot and I'd give the Dolphins the advantage in depth outside but the Bills the advantage in slot depth. 

Tight End - A wash. Yes Gesicki is a weapon but he should really be considered with the receivers. He played at the actual tight end spot on fewer than a 100 snaps in 2021. Knox has vastly improved in both blocking and receiving. I think you could also argue Howard gives the Bills the depth edge.

Offensive line - A wash. I am a critic of the Bills oline but the Dolphins isn't that different. Both have a very good left tackle. Armstead probably slightly better than Dawkins ability wise but reliability is a major question. In 9 seasons in the league he has never played 16 games and has played 14 or more only three times. So Dawkins availability makes that a wash. Both have talented 2nd year players at right tackle who need to step up on their rookie showings and both have question marks inside. 

Running Back - Advantage Dolphins - just from a depth perspective they have guys in Edmunds, Michel, Mostart and Gaskin. But neither team is super impressive there.

Defensive Line - Advantage Bills - Von Miller and Ed Oliver are studs that the Dolphins can't match, as much as Ogbah and Wilkins are not bad players. Both have second year edge rushers out of Miami who had promising rookie years and will want to take the next step. The Bills have superior depth too. 

Linebacker - Slam Dunk Advantage Bills. Edmunds and Milano vs Jerome Baker and Elandon Roberts? Really? No contest. 

Defensive Backs - A wash. The Bills are better at safety though Jevon Holland was good as a rookie and looks promising. Right now I think you would have to give the Dolphins the edge at corner. I think a healthy Tre White is the best of the group but Xavien Howard is not far behind and is healthy. Byron Jones is one of the best #2 corners in the league and was a serviceable #1 corner in Dallas. Kaiir Elam is as yet an unknown quantity. Bills have the edge at Nickel with Taron Johnson one of the best in the business. 

Looks like the rosters are pretty similar to me. The only area where I would give Miami a clear advantage is in terms of receiving options with Hill, Waddle, Wilson, Williams and Gesicki (as essentially a "big slot"). If someone wants to make the argument that if you swapped the Quarterbacks Miami would be AFCE favourites then of course I'd agree with that. But even with Tua at QB the Bills roster is a playoff roster IMO. 

The problem is with the words "outside of QB". The QB difference is worth at least 2-3 extra wins for the Bills regardless of anything else.

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh oh. Looks like the Dolphins might have finally found their franchise QB...

Haha. On a serious note though I think Skylar has a shot at sticking around as a journeyman backup type. Might be PS initially but he could have a career.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, FilthyBeast said:

A lot of experts insist Tua would have been the #1 overall pick in 2020 if not for the injury he suffered in college. He definitely was elite in Alabama playing on a powerhouse program and was still a top 5 pick regardless.

Whether or not he truly takes the next step in the NFL remains to be seen but I think he's been a lot better than people have given him credit for these last few years and all young QB's take time to develop as we are all aware with JA17's trajectory thus far.

This is the 3rd straight year now that someone is trying to make a case that THIS IS THE YEAR the dolphins are for real , and yet we keep mopping the floor with them 

I’ll see it when I believe it  !!! 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Putin said:

Sorry but I’ll take Drew Bledsoe  , Flutie and Fitzpatrick just the few of the top of my head over Tua 

I would too.  We had many waaaayyyy worse.  He is an average Qb.  Passing on Herbert will get everyone fired twice over.  Tua is what he is.  In the right situation you will win more than you lose.  They will be scrappy but never a threat imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

I wouldn't take any, better off trying to get a draft pick.

You said Tua is a better QB then anything we had since Jim Kelly correct ? Well  I just gave you few names Bledsoe, Fitz , Flutie !!! All of them (IMO) are BETTER then Tua  !!!! 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Putin said:

You said Tua is a better QB then anything we had since Jim Kelly correct ? Well  I just gave you few names Bledsoe, Fitz , Flutie !!! All of them (IMO) are BETTER then Tua  !!!! 

No, I didn't say it... but those QBs are no different than Tua b.c they will never get you anything but bad draft picks.

Edited by TBBills

Tua sucks and Tyreek Hill will have sub-1200 yards and will be upset about playing second fiddle to Waddle. Waddle is a target hog that has a connection with what we've seen to be a tentative, singular target-focused QB. Tua will not impress of course, but I guarantee that Hill will have his worst year. He may not speak out, but he will be unhappy by about Week 9.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.