Tua impressing in Miami

FilthyBeast

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I agree,  Ravens defense was terrible last year,  not much better this year. 

But Miami is dangerous,  big weapons on offense. 

Yes, but what we saw against Baltimore, all man. Try playing us man. Teams just stopped last year and it created a lot of issues for us until we showed we could threaten with the rush as well. Which Josh contributes a heck of a lot with. Tua is not a statue, but they have not established a running game and they will see two high safeties all game against Buffalo. Is Tua patient enough to get 5-8 yards a play? Is he good enough to avoid mistakes when doing so? I don't think that is the case. It doesn't mean Miami isn't a threat. The WR's they have are the best tandem in the NFL, one is a generational talent, and the speed they bring is stunning. That said, we run a defense specifically designed to defend what they do best.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, klos63 said:

I agree,  Ravens defense was terrible last year,  not much better this year. 

But Miami is dangerous,  big weapons on offense. 

For 3 quarters, the Ravens did perfectly fine.  They held Tua and the offense to 14 points.

Then they inexplicably stopped being able to execute even basic coverages, allowed WRs to run free through the secondary, blew coverage after coverage and generally looked like it was their first time ever playing football.  I have never seen worse DB play in a quarter than I did that game.  It was historically bad. That should NEVER happen in an NFL game. Never. Inexcusable and it had nothing to do with their receivers or anything else.  It was 100% epic failure on the Ravens.

Honestly it reminded me a lot of the Houston Oilers DB play in the Greatest Comeback game in the 2nd half, except they condensed that to a single quarter.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, KzooMike said:

Yes, but what we saw against Baltimore, all man. Try playing us man. Teams just stopped last year and it created a lot of issues for us until we showed we could threaten with the rush as well. Which Josh contributes a heck of a lot with. Tua is not a statue, but they have not established a running game and they will see two high safeties all game against Buffalo. Is Tua patient enough to get 5-8 yards a play? Is he good enough to avoid mistakes when doing so? I don't think that is the case. It doesn't mean Miami isn't a threat. The WR's they have are the best tandem in the NFL, one is a generational talent, and the speed they bring is stunning. That said, we run a defense specifically designed to defend what they do best.  

Miami has tried playing man and using Cover 0 blitzes many times and Allen has decimated them on it. Get ready to see a lot of deep over routes if they play the same way again. Allen is both one of the best QBs in the NFL against man coverage and the blitz.  Good luck if they think that is a way to win.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/19/2022 at 9:55 AM, DCOrange said:

I think Buffalo still wins next week (assuming we get through tonight relatively unscathed), but I think we can all agree it would be nice if we didn't have to deal with Hill/Waddle before White comes back.

On paper, Baltimore's defense might be better than ours; they obviously fell apart in the 2nd half with some strategic mistakes as well as just some blown coverages, but people are acting like their secondary is a joke. They have one of the best corner duos in the NFL and a good group of safeties (not Hyde/Poyer level, but still very good). There's a reason people believed Baltimore would be a top 5 defense this year and possibly #1. They have a lot of talent on that side of the ball even with the injuries they've had.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if Buffalo makes the same mistakes Baltimore made yesterday and I don't think it's a hot take to say Tua probably won't throw for 400+ and 6 TDs again next week. I think our defense will make things much harder for Tua than Baltimore did. Hill, Waddle, and to an extent, Gesicki, are good enough that they might still be successful against us but obviously we're rightfully confident our offense will put up points too.

Long story short: Buffalo remains the better team, but Miami should have a good chance at making the playoffs IMO and I think both Tua and their defense are better than a lot of Bills fans give them credit for. I'd be disappointed and a little surprised if we lose next week, but Miami is a good team; they're probably going to beat some good teams like they did yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

On what paper?  Baltimore had a miserable pass D last year and they're picking up where they left off.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:55 AM, DCOrange said:

I think Buffalo still wins next week (assuming we get through tonight relatively unscathed), but I think we can all agree it would be nice if we didn't have to deal with Hill/Waddle before White comes back.

On paper, Baltimore's defense might be better than ours; they obviously fell apart in the 2nd half with some strategic mistakes as well as just some blown coverages, but people are acting like their secondary is a joke. They have one of the best corner duos in the NFL and a good group of safeties (not Hyde/Poyer level, but still very good). There's a reason people believed Baltimore would be a top 5 defense this year and possibly #1. They have a lot of talent on that side of the ball even with the injuries they've had.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if Buffalo makes the same mistakes Baltimore made yesterday and I don't think it's a hot take to say Tua probably won't throw for 400+ and 6 TDs again next week. I think our defense will make things much harder for Tua than Baltimore did. Hill, Waddle, and to an extent, Gesicki, are good enough that they might still be successful against us but obviously we're rightfully confident our offense will put up points too.

Long story short: Buffalo remains the better team, but Miami should have a good chance at making the playoffs IMO and I think both Tua and their defense are better than a lot of Bills fans give them credit for. I'd be disappointed and a little surprised if we lose next week, but Miami is a good team; they're probably going to beat some good teams like they did yesterday.

Hmm, having a hard time with this. On paper vs actual play, the latter wins out and it's not even close. That defense has played 2 garbage offenses despite what Tua did. If they don't understand it takes playing 4 quarters of football and executing, neither on paper or actual play matters, they'll lose. They played not to lose and got hung for it. Not sure how anyone could remotely even think Baltimore's defense might be better than ours let alone actually say it

• Like (+1) 3

Listening to WGR this morning and they had the Fins beat reporter on who said Tua is the most accurate and efficient short passer in the last two seasons...fair enough. Then said his softening of the Ravens defense is what allowed them to take big shots in the 4th quarter. So being below mediocre in the 1st half allowed them to succeed in the 2nd... got it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

For 3 quarters, the Ravens did perfectly fine.  They held Tua and the offense to 14 points.

Then they inexplicably stopped being able to execute even basic coverages, allowed WRs to run free through the secondary, blew coverage after coverage and generally looked like it was their first time ever playing football.  I have never seen worse DB play in a quarter than I did that game.  It was historically bad. That should NEVER happen in an NFL game. Never. Inexcusable and it had nothing to do with their receivers or anything else.  It was 100% epic failure on the Ravens.

Honestly it reminded me a lot of the Houston Oilers DB play in the Greatest Comeback game in the 2nd half, except they condensed that to a single quarter.

Miami has tried playing man and using Cover 0 blitzes many times and Allen has decimated them on it. Get ready to see a lot of deep over routes if they play the same way again. Allen is both one of the best QBs in the NFL against man coverage and the blitz.  Good luck if they think that is a way to win.

The lengths some will go to just to not give any credit to someone they love to trash, because can't back away from the narrative that Tua blows.  So, if this reminds you of the Oiler's game, are you not giving Reich any credit for the comeback? You would be consistent to do that. It has nothing to do with our receivers or anything else, right?

The Dolphins have not played a good team yet.  NE is awful, and Baltimore is not much better.  At least they have a QB who can make plays with his legs. The Ravens Defense is more than suspect.  Anything can happen obviously, but the Bills, even with a handful of backups in the game, is a far superior team to the Dolphins with superior coaching.  Quality will out.  Tua will have hard time completing passes to waddle and hill from his backside.  

27 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The lengths some will go to just to not give any credit to someone they love to trash, because can't back away from the narrative that Tua blows.  So, if this reminds you of the Oiler's game, are you not giving Reich any credit for the comeback? You would be consistent to do that. It has nothing to do with our receivers or anything else, right?

What lengths?   Miami didn't play well for most of the game, and Baltimore played terribly on both sides of the ball in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter, allowing Miami to come back to win the game.   Tua was good enough to take advantage of poor DB play in the second half which gave him spectacular stats but he didn't play particularly well for the entire game.   That doesn't prove he'll be a great QB.  It does suggest that he's probably at least a decent or better QB.   He needs a bigger sample size.

Frank Reich played a great half of football in the Comeback Game, but he never regularly put on that kind of performance even when he was a starter.   I don't know that he ever had a similar performance in his entire career.  

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

What lengths?   Miami didn't play well for most of the game, and Baltimore played terribly on both sides of the ball in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter, allowing Miami to come back to win the game.   Tua was good enough to take advantage of poor DB play in the second half which gave him spectacular stats but he didn't play particularly well for the entire game.   That doesn't prove he'll be a great QB.  It does suggest that he's probably at least a decent or better QB.   He needs a bigger sample size.

Frank Reich played a great half of football in the Comeback Game, but he never regularly put on that kind of performance even when he was a starter.   I don't know that he ever had a similar performance in his entire career.  

I guess if you want to look fair minded, wait for a bad game to try to diminish his accomplishments, not a game with 470 yards passing, 6 TD's with 4 in the 4th after trailing by 21 points, on the road. 

10 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Listening to WGR this morning and they had the Fins beat reporter on who said Tua is the most accurate and efficient short passer in the last two seasons...fair enough. Then said his softening of the Ravens defense is what allowed them to take big shots in the 4th quarter. So being below mediocre in the 1st half allowed them to succeed in the 2nd... got it. 

Yeah Marcel is a pretty big Dolphin homer

On 9/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, DCOrange said:

Based on what exactly? Their pass defense is 100 yards worse per game than last year when it was 32nd in the NFL. I'm not sure how you could begin to think that. Their defense ranked 25th total last year, this year it is dead last.  I'm not sure what paper you are looking at but I think you might not know how to read it.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I guess if you want to look fair minded, wait for a bad game to try to diminish his accomplishments, not a game with 470 yards passing, 6 TD's with 4 in the 4th after trailing by 21 points, on the road. 

I’m not going to diminish him. He played great and took advantage of the plays that were available to him. 6 TDs is seriously impressive and he deserves serious accolades for it. It was also an incredible breakdown by Baltimore. Both can be true 

My question is can he doing again? Not 6 TDs, can he be that effective again? In 2 years he hasn’t shown he can be that guy consistently and until he does, he’s going to be questioned. Hell a week ago he put up a one TD game against a Pretty bad team at home

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Tua is honestly the worst looking QB I've ever seen, he looks like he's throwing a shot put out there. But is it just because he's a lefty? Because WTF he actually looks decent when the tape is switched around.

Still looks like he under threw Hill to me and got away with it. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m not going to diminish him. He played great and took advantage of the plays that were available to him. 6 TDs is seriously impressive and he deserves serious accolades for it. It was also an incredible breakdown by Baltimore. Both can be true 

My question is can he doing again? Not 6 TDs, can he be that effective again? In 2 years he hasn’t shown he can be that guy consistently and until he does, he’s going to be questioned. Hell a week ago he put up a one TD game against a Pretty bad team at home

Yeah, he can be questioned until he performs at a high level consistently, it's just so comical on how Bills fans pick a 6TD game to double down on the criticism of Tua.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.