Tua impressing in Miami

FilthyBeast

On 6/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, FilthyBeast said:

People keep saying this but big difference between a 5th round QB that was never expected to amount to much and was a complete dumpster fire in the handful of NFL games he started vs a top 5 overall pick who has actually shown flashes his first few years and is now entering a pivotal 3rd season with the best compliment of players he's had around him.

At the end of the day though nothing is guaranteed and Tua could still crash and burn this year.

Tua is made of gas

Tua starred down that receiver and put all his might into that toss. It's so sad, his arm isn't even 50% what Allens is. Zach Wilson is the only one I'm worried about in our division as of this moment, he actually looks good just has some bad decision making. 

Edited by Awwufelloff

On 5/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Lot of hype coming out of Miami these days....if Tua does in fact take off this year like JA17 did in year 3 the dolphins are going to be a big problem.

JA17 was good year 1, raw but good. He was never as bad as Tua has been. Tua will have to become a completely different player to be in the same time zone as JA17.

The most likely ending to this story is "...and then the season started."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

JA17 was good year 1, raw but good. He was never as bad as Tua has been. Tua will have to become a completely different player to be in the same time zone as JA17.

The most likely ending to this story is "...and then the season started."

MIA's roster is impressive.  Tua doesn't need to be Allen to have success, just average.  But, I tend to believe "where there's smoke there's fire" with how the Dolphins have handled Tua and what they seem to think of him.

41 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My eyesight gets worse as I age :(

GLASS

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking you were cleverly creating the visual of Tua doused in accelerant to facilitate his crashing and burning... it's disappointing to find out that you're just blind and as dull as the rest of us. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

Here is my 2 cents…

Anyone writing off Tua already or mocking the possibility he could take a step forward is being premature.  The reality is he is still very young in his career and has limited games in that brief career due to injuries and a veteran QB in Fitz part of the time.  

Second, he is loaded with weapons.  A mediocre QB in Alex Smith had a career year throwing to a prime Tyreek Hill.  Tua doesn’t have to be the next great QB for that offense to be legit and dangerous, it might be the overall fastest collection of skill players in the league.  

Now…on the other hand, anyone reading too much into the Tua looks good at this point in the season is also premature.  Like others have posted, we have heard that about guys like Peterman and even EJ Manuel at this time of the year.  It doesn’t really mean anything if he is looking good in light practices without the real pressures of being in game where defenses are playing full speed and you must make snap decisions and be accurate.  

So for me, I’m taking a wait and see approach here and not overlooking the Dolphins.  I do feel their last coach got them to over achieve (he was a good coach IMHO), so who knows how the new coaching staff does.  But they have enough weapons to make them a team to still keep an eye on.  And if Tua does take a step forward, that team will field a potentially dangerous offense.

Lastly…I keep seeing people talk about Tua as if he isn’t and can’t be Josh Allen.  That’s a bit outrageous given Allen has a case as the best QB and certainly is established as a top 5 QB in the NFL right now.  To use that high of a barometer to judge whether Tua can be a good starter is a bit silly.  You don’t have to be the next Josh Allen or the best QB in the NFL to win games, reach the playoffs or even win a super bowl.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is my 2 cents…

Anyone writing off Tua already or mocking the possibility he could take a step forward is being premature.  The reality is he is still very young in his career and has limited games in that brief career due to injuries and a veteran QB in Fitz part of the time.  

Second, he is loaded with weapons.  A mediocre QB in Alex Smith had a career year throwing to a prime Tyreek Hill.  Tua doesn’t have to be the next great QB for that offense to be legit and dangerous, it might be the overall fastest collection of skill players in the league.  

Now…on the other hand, anyone reading too much into the Tua looks good at this point in the season is also premature.  Like others have posted, we have heard that about guys like Peterman and even EJ Manuel at this time of the year.  It doesn’t really mean anything if he is looking good in light practices without the real pressures of being in game where defenses are playing full speed and you must make snap decisions and be accurate.  

So for me, I’m taking a wait and see approach here and not overlooking the Dolphins.  I do feel their last coach got them to over achieve (he was a good coach IMHO), so who knows how the new coaching staff does.  But they have enough weapons to make them a team to still keep an eye on.  And if Tua does take a step forward, that team will field a potentially dangerous offense.

Lastly…I keep seeing people talk about Tua as if he isn’t and can’t be Josh Allen.  That’s a bit outrageous given Allen has a case as the best QB and certainly is established as a top 5 QB in the NFL right now.  To use that high of a barometer to judge whether Tua can be a good starter is a bit silly.  You don’t have to be the next Josh Allen or the best QB in the NFL to win games, reach the playoffs or even win a super bowl.  

Agreed - but that doesn't mean I think Tua will become a top 10 QB.  No, but I think he will be ok and some weeks vs awful teams (very few in the AFC) you'll see 24-34 for 275 and 3 TD stat lines then vs good teams you'll see 24-34 for 175 1 TD and 3 INTs.

He started with a defensive head coach that was terrible; and who's team looked like it spent 90% of its time working on defense - except on Bills week.  

McDaniel feels to me like their front office said we need the best offensive mind we can find.  

That doesn't necessarily mean great head coach.  But who knows.  

I love how the narrative for the Dolphins this year is Tua being the biggest question mark. McDaniel has very limited experience as a coordinator and from what I've been hearing, he's never really called plays up in SF with Shannahan running the show. Then there's all the talent they added on offense. If Tyreek Hill had to tell the brutally honest truth, he'd say he signed with Miami specifically for the money. If he really thinks that team is on the cusp, then he'll realize in a hurry that McDaniel is no Andy Reid nor is Tua anywhere close to Mahomes. I didn't know who Tyreek Hill was when Alex Smith was still in KC. If Tua's OL doesn't play lights out, the only speed that will matter is how fast he can run, which isn't very fast at all

19 hours ago, SWATeam said:

MIA's roster is impressive.  Tua doesn't need to be Allen to have success, just average.  But, I tend to believe "where there's smoke there's fire" with how the Dolphins have handled Tua and what they seem to think of him.

His 2021 year has some concerning Tua trends.  Very RPO dependent, very short throw dependent, and the YAC numbers weren't very good for an offense of that style.

New coach, new offensive style, better weapons across the board.  I think he'll do alright this year - but the problem is he's now getting to extension territory so do they dismantle what they have to give Tua 40M a year?  

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

His 2021 year has some concerning Tua trends.  Very RPO dependent, very short throw dependent, and the YAC numbers weren't very good for an offense of that style.

New coach, new offensive style, better weapons across the board.  I think he'll do alright this year - but the problem is he's now getting to extension territory so do they dismantle what they have to give Tua 40M a year?  

Me if the Dolphins give Tua anything close to 40M a year.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Agree with all that though I don't put the bolded really on Tua so much as I put it on bad offensive design and Waddle apart a lack of real twitchy, explosive guys. I think the plan is for McDaniels with his experience under Shanahan and the addition of Tyreek to help solve that YAC issue. But their offense will remain limited by the first two points. They are RPO, and by extension play action, and short game dependant. When they get behind they really struggle to generate those chunk plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.