Tua impressing in Miami

FilthyBeast

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haha— context matters.

Before praising Tua for throwing one of the “prettiest balls” Hill has seen, Hill made it clear that he came to Miami with low expectations.

“At first, I thought it was going to be something crazy, the ball going all over the place,” Hill said, “but Tua actually has probably one of the prettiest balls I’ve ever caught in my life. It’s very catchable. I don’t want to continue because the more I talk, the more it sounds weird. Tua is a very accurate quarterback. That’s all I’m going to say.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/25/tyreek-hill-admittedly-had-low-expectations-for-tua-tagovailoa/

“I mean, the ball Tua throws is oblong and has really fine laces. It’s a great ball if you ask me, but now I’m sounding weird so I’ll stop”

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

It will be interesting to see how Wilson develops. I hope he fails obviously but the Jets are doing for him what the Bills did for Allen. 

Yeah, Joe Douglas appears to be trying to copy the Beane playbook with the big advantage that they didn't need to give up any additional assets to get a QB.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Patriots fans never thought their reign would end either.

Yes the Bills have enjoyed a current stretch of dominance over the Dolphins but they've been on the brink the last few years both in terms of winning the division/making the playoffs and beating the Bills a few times.

I've been a vocal critic of McD but he is 12-1 in division games the last few years including the playoffs (only loss was that weird wind game last year when the Bills were in a funk). But still think it's a bit misleading because the Pats didn't have Brady, Jets were terrible and aforementioned Dolphins were in transition rebuilding. Things could come full circle this year in terms of the division being a much more difficult task to win which is why it will be a real accomplishment to win a 3rd straight division title.

I don’t think winning the division would be a real accomplishment  , not winning the division would be a HUGE HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

OTA and camp is all about hype. But don’t be shocked if Tua had a breakout season. 

What is a breakout season  from  the last place to the middle of the pack ?

Tyreek lie like a fly wit a booger in his eye. 

Noodlearm Tuna can chuck it 90 yards upside down underwater, I don't care. Josh Allen is gonna slap Tua's books out of his hands, take his lunch money, yank his tighty whiteys right up over his dumb head and shove him in a locker. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Patriots fans never thought their reign would end either.

Yes the Bills have enjoyed a current stretch of dominance over the Dolphins but they've been on the brink the last few years both in terms of winning the division/making the playoffs and beating the Bills a few times.

I've been a vocal critic of McD but he is 12-1 in division games the last few years including the playoffs (only loss was that weird wind game last year when the Bills were in a funk). But still think it's a bit misleading because the Pats didn't have Brady, Jets were terrible and aforementioned Dolphins were in transition rebuilding. Things could come full circle this year in terms of the division being a much more difficult task to win which is why it will be a real accomplishment to win a 3rd straight division title.

So long as Josh is healthy, the Bills will win the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not surprised to see McDaniel and Hill hyping up Tua.

The GM fired a successful head coach in order to hire an inexperienced yes man from a offensive system designed to make mediocre QBs successful. Then traded 5 picks for a WR and made him the highest paid receiver in history to help his struggling QB.

Both McDaniel and Hill are being paid to rescue Tua. 😂

Hill's hype job sounded more like someone being forced to read a statement at gunpoint than an actual hype job.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hill's hype job sounded more like someone being forced to read a statement at gunpoint than an actual hype job.

We were literally right in the same boat when players like Beasley, Brown, and Diggs came to Buffalo. The jokes were strong. All 3 WRs were better in Buffalo with Allen even though the perception around the league was poor when those players arrived.

I know the Dolphins are a rival and Tua is no where near as talented physically as Allen, but Tua can improve. Tua needs to be quicker mentally than everyone on the field. His accuracy and timing need to be top notch. The mental part and the timing part are things that typically take QBs the longest to develop. 

5 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Nathan Peterman looked like a Pro Bowl caliber QB in the summer of 2018 too.

Not sure this is a valid comparison because Tua has actually looked more than serviceable at times and started a good chunk of games the last few years where Peterman looked like a trainwreck in most of his in game action as a rookie (i.e. the chargers game) before his 'summer of hype' in 2018 before being named the starter for the Ravens opener which was another ugly outing and pretty much made him one and done as the starter in Buffalo that year.

I don't necessarily agree with the comparisons, but I think a lot of Miami fans and other media are looking at Tua's first 2 seasons and comparing them to JA17's first 2 years and believe a similar jump is going to happen, especially sinces Tua's first two years were actually better than JA17.

At the end of the day though JA17 is truly an exception to the norm and most folks would be lying if they said they saw his breakout year coming. I don't think Tua needs to break out so to speak as much has he needs to make marginal improvement across the board for him to be viewed as a viable franchise QB and long term option in Miami.

• Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

most folks would be lying if they said they saw his breakout year coming. 

Look back on this forum. Nearly everyone who watched the games saw it coming. The people who only watched highlights or looked at stats were the ones who still say he sucked for his first two years. It was pretty obvious by the end of year two (at least) that he was going to be great

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Look back on this forum. Nearly everyone who watched the games saw it coming. The people who only watched highlights or looked at stats were the ones who still say he sucked for his first two years. It was pretty obvious by the end of year two (at least) that he was going to be great

Correct.

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yup. After year 2 I thought if he could get a consistent deep ball and hit checkdowns more often, he was very close to being a superstar. You heard guys complimenting him after every game. Players knew

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Tua, :lol::lol::lol:

At least he’ll always have Alabama, great college QB, can’t take that away from him.

If he was that good of a QB Saban would have told his buddy Cheats to sign him because he would have developed into a winner.

Coaches always talk well about their players but would talk flaws about players with friends.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haha— context matters.

Before praising Tua for throwing one of the “prettiest balls” Hill has seen, Hill made it clear that he came to Miami with low expectations.

“At first, I thought it was going to be something crazy, the ball going all over the place,” Hill said, “but Tua actually has probably one of the prettiest balls I’ve ever caught in my life. It’s very catchable. I don’t want to continue because the more I talk, the more it sounds weird. Tua is a very accurate quarterback. That’s all I’m going to say.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/25/tyreek-hill-admittedly-had-low-expectations-for-tua-tagovailoa/

So, this basically says he knew absolutely nothing about Tua before joining the team then, like accuracy was the one thing he was positively known for.

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm not sure I was quite at great by the end of year 2 but I was sure he was going to be a franchise QB. To be honest even after what was a very uneven first year I was pretty sure the Bills had chosen wisely and I hated the pick when it was made as is well established. 

I think the other difference is in development. Our consistency at OC and HC in Josh's early years has been remarked upon but the thing that coaching did well was expose him to everything. They never babied Josh. They said make your mistakes we will live with them. There was just one little spell in the middle of year 2 after the New England game where he got a bit tentative and maybe in his own head for a few weeks until that Cleveland game. After that game he and McDermott sat down and McDermott told Josh to play fearless and to be honest there has barely been a single bump in the road since. 

On the contrary with the Dolphins they have babied Tua... as if they are scared of finding out they got the pick wrong. They took him out in crunch situations as a rookie rather than letting him face them and fail and learn. They have not given him any control at the line they have simplified playbooks.... I just don't think it is the way to develop Quarterbacks in 2022. Expose them. If they fail you find out more quickly and can move on. If they are going succeed it will set them up well for situations down the road. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.