Mass shooting in Uvalde Texas...

Special K

The husband of a teacher killed in this horrific attack has died of a heart attack.  They were married for 24 years and had four children.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/26/uvalde-elementary-school-shooting-teacher-husband-dead-heart-attack-dies/

Irma Garcia was one of two teachers killed in Tuesday's mass shooting, and now her family has announced her husband of 24 years, Joe Garcia, is dead too.

Local reporter, Ernie Zuniga, says Garcia suffered a fatal heart attack ... and that the two had 4 children together. A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family.

😢

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Microstamping, insurance requirements, additional licensing fees, etc. will do nothing to solve crime or keep guns out of the hands of criminals

This line of thinking has never made sense to me. Any restriction on acquiring assault weapons will make it harder for potential mass murderers to acquire them. I highly doubt the 18 year old could have just found an AR-15 on the street. He was however able to walk into a store the day after his 18th birthday and walk out with a murder weapon, with zero hassle. I think that's insane.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The husband of a teacher killed in this horrific attack has died of a heart attack.  They were married for 24 years and had four children.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/26/uvalde-elementary-school-shooting-teacher-husband-dead-heart-attack-dies/

Irma Garcia was one of two teachers killed in Tuesday's mass shooting, and now her family has announced her husband of 24 years, Joe Garcia, is dead too.

Local reporter, Ernie Zuniga, says Garcia suffered a fatal heart attack ... and that the two had 4 children together. A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family.

😢

Here's the Go Fund Me for the family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ygcdaa-for-garcia-family?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I find it beyond ironic that Abbott is gonna speak at the NRA convention in Houston and NO GUNS ARE ALLOWED. You’d think the governor, so proud of his no license, open carry law, including semi-automatic assault rifles, would insist on celebrating his gun laws by asking everyone to openly carry their weapons at the convention. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This line of thinking has never made sense to me. Any restriction on acquiring assault weapons will make it harder for potential mass murderers to acquire them. I highly doubt the 18 year old could have just found an AR-15 on the street. He was however able to walk into a store the day after his 18th birthday and walk out with a murder weapon, with zero hassle. I think that's insane.

That moment when you realize trying to straddle the fence on this issue doesn’t work

21 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I have no hope and zero faith that anything will get done to help solve this issue.

Why would anyone think otherwise?

It's not just one broken system that needs to be fixed, it's many, including the general culture in America.   

Things are going backwards,  instead of forward, and no one seems to want to work together.

Like Winston Churchill once said:

“America always does the right thing......after it exhausts all other possible options.”

Unfortunately, we are still in the exhausting all other options phase.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Being moderate is tough. Everybody hates you. But I believe there is a middle ground to this issue.

It’s not hate, it’s a lack of respect for pretending to straddle some undefined middle ground when anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the last 20 years knows it doesn’t exist.

The gun rights guys I can at least understand. They have some skin in the game. So it makes sense to me logically that they oppose any further regulation on philosophical ground even as the bodies keep piling up. Folks like you, though…no idea.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think it should be a lot harder to acquire them. I don't think it should be impossible. If we started treating gun licenses like driver's licenses I would be on board with that. Anyone who thinks they need a gun right now this very second kind of terrifies me.

Really? It's pretty easy to get a drivers license than a pistol permit, or purchase a gun, here in NY. 

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Being moderate is tough. Everybody hates you. But I believe there is a middle ground to this issue.

Of course there is a middle ground. But when one side of the argument is against giving up even an inch of ground, the middle cannot be reached. 

13 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Really? It's pretty easy to get a drivers license than a pistol permit, or purchase a gun, here in NY. 

And in places like Texas, the exact opposite is the case. That’s why federal statutes need to be part of any common sense legislation.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s not hate, it’s a lack of respect for pretending to straddle some undefined middle ground when anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the last 20 years knows it doesn’t exist.

Everything has a middle ground. We can protect people's freedoms without putting the public in danger. Our free society has always been a balancing act between the two. I love being able to go out and get drinks with friends and family, even though I know alcohol kills tens of thousands of people per year. I like walking around freely without being stopped even though there are crimes that could be avoided if the police randomly searched anyone they wanted to. Some people collect assault rifles. It's not my thing but we can let them have their hobby and still keep the public safe. Nothing is black and white even though that's where these discussions always end up.

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Of course there is a middle ground. But when one side of the argument is against giving up even an inch of ground, the middle cannot be reached. 

I think the large majority of people would agree on a middle ground. The issue isn't the people, it's the politicians taking million dollar donations from the NRA to reject any type of restriction whatsoever.

Edited by HappyDays

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Everything has a middle ground. We can protect people's freedoms without putting the public in danger. Our free society has always been a balancing act between the two. I love being able to go out and get drinks with friends and family, even though I know alcohol kills tens of thousands of people per year. I like walking around freely without being stopped even though there are crimes that could be avoided if the police randomly searched anyone they wanted to. Some people collect assault rifles. It's not my thing but we can let them have their hobby and still keep the public safe. Nothing is black and white even though that's where these discussions always end up.

I think the large majority of people would agree on a middle ground. The issue isn't the people, it's the politicians taking million dollar donations from the NRA to reject any type of restriction whatsoever.

No. You really can’t. The results are in.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No. You really can’t. The results are in.

You don't think there's any middle ground between a total ban and an 18 year old being able to immediately purchase an assault rifle without hassle? That's ridiculous on the face of it.

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The protestations of various posters in these parts aside, decades of polling absolutely bears that out. It’s the politicians and the lobbying interests they are owned by that will not cede an inch of ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You don't think there's any middle ground between a total ban and an 18 year old being able to immediately purchase an assault rifle without hassle? That's ridiculous on the face of it.

Fine. I’d be willing to allow ex military and ex law enforcement access to semi automatics. That’s my concession. 

Now find me one single person from the other side willing to budge even one inch.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Unfortunately, the extreme views on both sides tend to somehow dominate…

100%. In chatrooms I think it is because (except extreme circumstances like we have today)  only the most ardent folks will make their political opinions known. Three taboo topics in general conversation....your salary, religion and politics/ 2nd amendment views.  Indeed. 

Due to recent events we ALL are invested now. Something has got to give. imo.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.