Mass shooting in Uvalde Texas...

Special K

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep, a concept that worked so well with prohibition, except for the part where it didn't. It has also worked remarkably well with Heroin, Cocaine, Meth, etc... if you ignore the 90,000+ overdose deaths, thousands of drug related murders and assaults, and millions of drug addictions.

But I'm sure we'll do a much better job of stopping the possession and use of illegal weapons....

Those are very separate issues. Conflating firearms and drug use is an overused and misleading rhetorical device.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Then your characterization of these gun owners as law abiding is objectively wrong and yes, the discussion is pointless.

If there are fewer guns, there are fewer illegal gun owners.

What I’m proposing isn’t overreach imo, it’s merely inconvenient.

Do you think you can get 38 states to remove the second amendment?

56 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Automobiles are not created with the sole purpose to destroy something...

Also, when it comes to cars, it is illegal to drive a Formula 1 car on regular roads due to public safety.....therefore why shouldn’t assault rifles, the formula 1 car of guns, be restricted for the same reason?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Those are very separate issues. Conflating firearms and drug use is an overused and misleading rhetorical device.

No, they are not. Conceptually, in the criminal world, they are exactly the same thing: a commodity for which people will pay good money. But, hey, I'm sure that cartels, who see both drug trafficking and illegal weapons trafficking in exactly that same way, wouldn't see the banning of all semi automatic handguns as an opportunity to make even more money...Nope, not at all...

And if they did, I'm sure we'll do as competent of a job stopping it as we do everything else they illegally send here.

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Also, when it comes to cars, it is illegal to drive a Formula 1 car on regular roads due to public safety.....therefore why shouldn’t assault rifles, the formula 1 car of guns, be restricted for the same reason?

I suppose you could make an F-1 street legal.  Just a matter of adding lights and turn signals.  Maybe some kind if tire coverage... But there are plenty of open wheel vehicle out there.

6 minutes ago, Special K said:

I am actually one who wouldn't oppose restricting assault rifles. However, it wouldn't even scratch the surface of a much deeper problem...

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am actually one who wouldn't oppose restricting assault rifles. However, it wouldn't even scratch the surface of a much deeper problem...

Assault rifles are already restricted. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the terminology.

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

No, they are not. Conceptually, in the criminal world, they are exactly the same thing: a commodity for which people will pay good money. But, hey, I'm sure that cartels, who see both drug trafficking and illegal weapons trafficking in exactly that same way, wouldn't see the banning of all semi automatic handguns as an opportunity to make even more money...Nope, not at all...

And if they did, I'm sure we'll do as competent of a job stopping it as we do everything else they illegally send here.

Drug abuse is a health care issue. Gun ownership is not.

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

What's the deeper problem?  Young males have no sense of what it is to be a man?  They like war, killing people?

That's always been a deep problem... 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Assault rifles are already restricted. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the terminology.

There's always going to be confusion there because many guns that people, media, politicians, etc. colloquially call "assault rifles" are not legally assault rifles.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, GoBills808 said:

Drug abuse is a health care issue. Gun ownership is not.

Right. I'm guessing you missed the whole part of the drug trade where entire communities have been devastated and turned into war zones, tens of thousands of people have been murdered, and hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost in prison.

Yep just a health care issue.

Edited by billsfan1959

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I suppose you could make an F-1 street legal.  Just a matter of adding lights and turn signals.  Maybe some kind if tire coverage... But there are plenty of open wheel vehicle out there.

I don’t understand what you are getting at here.....F1 cars are not street legal because they go 200mph, and would be unsafe for all the other drivers and pedestrians out there...assault rifles pose the same threat to the general public, and should be treated as such.

1 minute ago, Special K said:

I don’t understand what you are getting at here.....F1 cars are not street legal because they go 200mph, and would be unsafe for all the other drivers and pedestrians out there...assault rifles pose the same threat to the general public, and should be treated as such.

Plenty of street legal cars go fast... Has nothing to do with how fast a car goes. It has to with stuff like lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc... 

The fastest street legal car went something like 270 mph...

That's why we have speed limits.  😆 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's the deeper problem?  Young males have no sense of what it is to be a man?  They like war, killing people?

That's always been a deep problem... 

I think the deeper problems are much more complex than that: The lack of ability to adequately help many of the mentally ill, instantaneous internet and social media access to anything one might need to fuel distorted perceptions and views, access to weapons, villainization and hindering of law enforcement, doing nothing to actually help socioeconomocally depressed communities, the breakdown of family units, the normalization of maladaptive behaviors...

Just to name a few issues

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Plenty of street legal cars go fast... Has nothing to do with how fast a car goes. It has to with stuff like lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc... 

The fastest street legal car went something like 270 mph...

Look up!  I think my analogy just went over your head!🙂

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think the deeper problems are much more complex than that: The lack of ability to adequately help many of the mentally ill, instantaneous internet and social media access to anything one might need to fuel distorted perceptions and views, access to weapons, villainization and hindering of law enforcement, doing nothing to actually help socioeconomocally depressed communities, the breakdown of family units, the normalization of maladaptive behaviors...

Just to name a few issues

That's what sending young males off into the military is/was for...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 minutes ago, LeviF said:

There's always going to be confusion there because many guns that people, media, politicians, etc. colloquially call "assault rifles" are not legally assault rifles.

He has some strong opinions, I just thought it might be instructive if he knew a little more about what he’s talking.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's what sending young males off into the military is/was for...

I actually think time in the military is not a bad thing for young men. Certainly not for everyone; however, it can provide guidance and structure, and help instill/strengthen good traits.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually think time in the military is not a bad thing for young men. Certainly not for everyone; however, it can provide guidance and structure, and help instill/strengthen good traits.

So-so.  Crapshoot. They break,  society will get the repair bill.

Bit of an offshoot of the problems, but addresses the young male mind.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/sebastian-junger-knows-why-young-men-go-to-war-f163804cbf6

• Like (+1) 1

I have no hope and zero faith that anything will get done to help solve this issue.

Why would anyone think otherwise?

It's not just one broken system that needs to be fixed, it's many, including the general culture in America.   

Things are going backwards,  instead of forward, and no one seems to want to work together.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.