Mass shooting in Uvalde Texas...

Special K

5 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

How would you propose to get rid of the millions of semi automatic pistols that are currently owned by law abiding citizens?  Citizens that have never commited a crime but are instantly felons for owning a pistol.  Pistols that may be worth thousands of dollars each.  Where will we house all of these felons when they are arrested?  Better yet, who is going to go house to house confiscating the pistols?  Do you have a plan for implementing your solution?  I'mguessing you do since you feel it is not complicated.

Saying new gun laws will instantly make felons out of law abiding citizens is hyperbole. Perhaps we could look at a buy back program like Australia’s NFA law. Offer tax credits. There are creative solutions. Also, I doubt pistols are on anyone’s list to ban, either. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

How would you propose to get rid of the millions of semi automatic pistols that are currently owned by law abiding citizens?  Citizens that have never commited a crime but are instantly felons for owning a pistol.  Pistols that may be worth thousands of dollars each.  Where will we house all of these felons when they are arrested?  Better yet, who is going to go house to house confiscating the pistols?  Do you have a plan for implementing your solution?  I'm guessing you do since you feel it is not complicated.

Incentivized buyback program. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Saying new gun laws will instantly make felons out of law abiding citizens is hyperbole. Perhaps we could look at a buy back program like Australia’s NFA law. Offer tax credits. There are creative solutions. Also, I doubt pistols are on anyone’s list to ban, either. 

Pistols (other than revolvers) are semi automatic firearms.  The post I responded to stated that they should be banned.  

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

And when the vast majority of gun owners do not agree to turn over their guns to the government for pennies on the dollar?

I assume you missed the incentivized part of the equation.

And the argument that law abiding gun owners wouldn’t obey the law is an interesting one.

Conversation always heads in the same predictable directions. 

For the “it’s a mental health issue”

crowd”…first off no *****. You mean someone who would massacre elementary school children is sick? Thanks for enlightening us.

Now what would you do to address the “root cause” as many like to point out? Save us from the gotcha questions on what semiauto means. How about some constructive solutions instead of digging in. 

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And the argument that law abiding gun owners wouldn’t obey the law is an interesting one.

The implicit assumption in this line of thinking is that the law would be just and that citizens should therefore be content to obey them. I don't think that case has been made.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I agree. Several arguments in favor of less gun control don't do it for me. If things being illegal doesn't stop people from doing them, why have laws at all? It's a ridiculous argument.

The one thing I've always leaned on is there a number of legal activities in America that inevitably lead to mass death. Automobiles, sugar and fat, contact sports, etc. As a free society we accept a certain level of risk to have dangerous and deadly activities available to us. It's better than the alternative. That's why I don't support outright banning any type of gun. To some people AR-15s are a leisure activity or a collectible. Not my cup of tea but it's their right. But I do support more restrictions on obtaining them and it feels like the large majority of Americans are on board with that too. The pro-gun lobby is so just large they make it impossible to create even sensible laws. So I don't know what the solution is.

Automobiles are not created with the sole purpose to destroy something....sugar and fat may be deadly to you, but you indulging in them doesn't' affect me, or anyone else. There is a big difference.  

Edited by Buftex

8 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I have the same first and last name as a serial killer in Illinois, thankfully I was 6 at the start of his crimes and live in New York and nobody asks me about him. 

Edited by The Jokeman

28 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Pistols (other than revolvers) are semi automatic firearms.  The post I responded to stated that they should be banned.  

I know that.

But high capacity mags for pistols should be banned, though. Besides, nothing looks more stupid than a high capacity clip hanging off a hand gun. 

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well, since 80% + crimes involving handguns (to include murders) are comitted by people who do not legally own the handgun, I am assuming you have an easy fix for that as well? I'm curious as to what that would be...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

I know that.

But high capacity mags for pistols should be banned, though. Besides, nothing looks more stupid than a high capacity clip hanging off a hand gun. 

I have no issue with magazine (it’s not a clip) capacity restrictions. I live in a state that already has that law. Although I doubt it has done anything to reduce gun violence. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I agree. Several arguments in favor of less gun control don't do it for me. If things being illegal doesn't stop people from doing them, why have laws at all? It's a ridiculous argument.

The one thing I've always leaned on is there a number of legal activities in America that inevitably lead to mass death. Automobiles, sugar and fat, contact sports, etc. As a free society we accept a certain level of risk to have dangerous and deadly activities available to us. It's better than the alternative. That's why I don't support outright banning any type of gun. To some people AR-15s are a leisure activity or a collectible. Not my cup of tea but it's their right. But I do support more restrictions on obtaining them and it feels like the large majority of Americans are on board with that too. The pro-gun lobby is so just large they make it impossible to create even sensible laws. So I don't know what the solution is.

If only these mass shooters tried forcing sugar down the throats of their victims instead. They’d have stood a better chance.

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I have no issue with magazine (it’s not a clip) capacity restrictions. I live in a state that already has that law. Although I doubt it has done anything to reduce gun violence. 

Meant to say mag. 

Needs to be a federal statute though. 

And please, no more “well, it wouldn’t do anything to stop gun violence” logic. That is so defeatist and does even less than doing something small. And that’s what that banning high capacity clips would be:  a small step in a series of steps required to make it MORE DIFFICULT, read: LESS CONVENIENT, for those who engage in gun violence to wreak havoc on more people at one time. 

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s not an “interesting argument”, it is a simple fact. Millions of gun owners would refuse to let the government disarm them and confiscate their legally purchased property. If you honestly think differently, I’m wasting time discussing this with you. 

2 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

It’s not an “interesting argument”, it is a simple fact. Millions of gun owners would refuse to let the government disarm them and confiscate their legally purchased property. If you honestly think differently, I’m wasting time discussing this with you. 

Then your characterization of these gun owners as law abiding is objectively wrong and yes, the discussion is pointless.

11 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, since 80% + crimes involving handguns (to include murders) are comitted by people who do not legally own the handgun, I am assuming you have an easy fix for that as well? I'm curious as to what that would be...

If there are fewer guns, there are fewer illegal gun owners.

20 minutes ago, LeviF said:

The implicit assumption in this line of thinking is that the law would be just and that citizens should therefore be content to obey them. I don't think that case has been made.

What I’m proposing isn’t overreach imo, it’s merely inconvenient.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

If there are fewer guns, there are fewer illegal gun owners.

Yep, a concept that worked so well with prohibition, except for the part where it didn't. It has also worked remarkably well with Heroin, Cocaine, Meth, etc... if you ignore the 90,000+ overdose deaths, thousands of drug related murders and assaults, and millions of drug addictions.

But I'm sure we'll do a much better job of stopping the possession and use of illegal weapons....

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.