Mass shooting in Uvalde Texas...

Special K

15 minutes ago, 716er said:

FWIW Uvalde has what it calls a SWAT team. They brag about their skills all over their departments Facebook page. 

FTp7kCnUEAA1HF6?format=jpg&name=medium

Is this a joke?!!!! They had their own SWAT team with their massive (for a tiny town) budget? Yet they did nothing until the FEDERAL tactical team got on scene. So, what exactly does the Uvalde SWAT team do then? Other than collect their paychecks for doing nothing. 

24 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Haven’t checked but have their suicide and medication rates skyrocketed?  Ours have.  The question posed was “what has changed over the last 10-15 years”.   Do you have another answer?

image.png.8c18dab48cb718dc7a6711576cb124df.png

• Vomit 1

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

image.png.8c18dab48cb718dc7a6711576cb124df.png

Smart phones are in every country. Only in America has this social epidemic become a thing. And it really started in the 90s anyways. Easy access to guns and disconnected young men is the primary cause IMO. Not to mention all the attention given to these shootings which inspires the next psychopath to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

So my question is what is the disconnect and can it be fixed?  We had plenty of guns, kept them in our trucks.  We took them to school so we could hunt before and after.   I posted above that I can’t blame social networking directly for this.  But does anyone have any idea as to what changed over the last 10-15 years to push so many people to this?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Smart phones are in every country. Only in America has this social epidemic become a thing. And it really started in the 90s anyways. Easy access to guns and disconnected young men is the primary cause IMO. Not to mention all the attention given to these shootings which inspires the next psychopath to do it.

The media coverage of Columbine and VA Tech did irreparable harm to the country.   

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Apparently the Uvalde police budget was $4 million. I would love to know what that money was used for.

Cool uniforms and maybe some cowboy hats.

Apparently While these police officers were keeping the peace across the street, at least one parent ran into the school and got her children out.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

How so?

They portrayed Dylan, Eric, and Cho like commandos.  Non-stop pictures of them holding their weapons, dressed in their all black outfits or camo, posing with knives.  They aired manifestos and even made them sympathetic with the bullying angle.  It legitimized them and their actions.  Psychologists begged CNN and other news outlets to stop covering the killers in that light but what bigger story is there than mass violence?  It has inspired many copy cats.

Paint them as the cowardly losers they are or just ignore them.

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I believe that was sarcasm.

It wasn't.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

They portrayed Dylan, Eric, and Cho like commandos.  Non-stop pictures of them holding their weapons, dressed in their all black outfits or camo, posing with knives.  They aired manifestos and even made them sympathetic with the bullying angle.  It legitimized them and their actions.  Psychologists begged CNN and other news outlets to stop covering the killers in that light but what bigger story is there than mass violence?  It has inspired many copy cats.

Paint them as the cowardly losers they are or just ignore them.

It wasn't.

I haven’t seen studies comparing media coverage of mass shootings in other countries but I’d have to imagine it’s of a similar tone. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.