Mass shooting in Uvalde Texas...

Special K

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually think time in the military is not a bad thing for young men. Certainly not for everyone; however, it can provide guidance and structure, and help instill/strengthen good traits.

I am, and have been for a long time, a HUGE supporter of mandatory military service for 12 months.  Everyone has to do it when they turn 18...no exceptions.  

It would be unbelievably productive for almost everyone involved, from a wide variety of angles.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

If only these mass shooters tried forcing sugar down the throats of their victims instead. They’d have stood a better chance.

Drunk drivers kill more people than mass shooters every year. It isn't even close. That doesn't mean I want to ban alcohol. I'm not trying to make a one to one comparison, I'm just saying one of the trade offs of living in a free society is that some people are too stupid or evil to handle freedom and will ultimately ruin it for others. Freedom is still better than not. I have no doubt if police officers could stop and search anyone they damn well please we would have less homicide in this country. That doesn't mean I want to give up my rights to walk about freely without being stopped.

I'm not a gun nut, I have shot a gun exactly 3 times in my life at a gun range and have never cared to own one. If AR-15s were banned tomorrow I honestly wouldn't care. I get it, there are already restrictions on buying too much fertilizer or explosives. If federal law wants to lump AR-15s in with that category I would understand. But I think people will be disappointed when mass shooters just use a different firearm and still rack up big body counts. My goal in this discussion is not to minimize body counts. It's to prevent the shootings from happening in the first place as much as humanly possible.

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I am, and have been for a long time, a HUGE supporter of mandatory military service for 12 months.  Everyone has to do it when they turn 18...no exceptions.  

It would be unbelievably productive for almost everyone involved, from a wide variety of angles.

It is impossible to have no exceptions. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Read the article on war and and 18 year old male mind.

I be pro that if they made the age 26.  Same with alcohol.  26 is when the brain stops developing. 

Heck... Just make everything 26.  😆 

Yeah... The war machine would really want that! 😆 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That would pry violate the 13th amendment.  You'd also have to make exceptions for people with chronic illnesses, physical and mental disabilities, etc...  Plus, forcing a law abiding citizen into military service seems anti American in multiple ways.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is crazy. They just left him in the classroom for an hour. My God what if some of the children were laying there injured the whole time? I'm sick to my stomach all over again.

Lots of stuff missing here. Leaving aside the fact that very few people know much about breaching an outward opening steel door with a steel frame, there are several questions that need to be answered. Had he barricaded the door at all? Did he have hostages? Was he actively killing those hostages? Why did it take so long to get a key? Where was the SRO?

Excuse me if I hesitate to trust the "sources" talking about what occurred in that active scene at this point in the timeline. Need to have some more information before I'm willing to throw someone under the bus a la a certain Broward County SRO.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Lots of stuff missing here. Leaving aside the fact that very few people know much about breaching an outward opening steel door with a steel frame, there are several questions that need to be answered. Had he barricaded the door at all? Did he have hostages? Was he actively killing those hostages? Why did it take so long to get a key? Where was the SRO?

Excuse me if I hesitate to trust the "sources" talking about what occurred in that active scene at this point in the timeline. Need to have some more information before I'm willing to throw someone under the bus a la a certain Broward County SRO.

It would be nice if local officials gave us answers to these questions but so far a lot of the information we've gotten from them is contradictory. Apparently that school district recently spent a ton of money on upping the school security too. The whole system failed.

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Drunk drivers kill more people than mass shooters every year. It isn't even close. That doesn't mean I want to ban alcohol. I'm not trying to make a one to one comparison, I'm just saying one of the trade offs of living in a free society is that some people are too stupid or evil to handle freedom and will ultimately ruin it for others. Freedom is still better than not. I have no doubt if police officers could stop and search anyone they damn well please we would have less homicide in this country. That doesn't mean I want to give up my rights to walk about freely without being stopped.

I'm not a gun nut, I have shot a gun exactly 3 times in my life at a gun range and have never cared to own one. If AR-15s were banned tomorrow I honestly wouldn't care. I get it, there are already restrictions on buying too much fertilizer or explosives. If federal law wants to lump AR-15s in with that category I would understand. But I think people will be disappointed when mass shooters just use a different firearm and still rack up big body counts. My goal in this discussion is not to minimize body counts. It's to prevent the shootings from happening in the first place as much as humanly possible.

I think it's pretty sad that your threshold for a 'free society' is the ability to own firearms with no purpose other than killing humans. But I guess you can take solance in the fact that you are far from alone in that regard.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's pretty sad that your threshold for a 'free society' is the ability to own firearms with no purpose other than killing humans. But I guess you can take solance in the fact that you are far from alone in that regard.

I think it should be a lot harder to acquire them. I don't think it should be impossible. If we started treating gun licenses like driver's licenses I would be on board with that. Anyone who thinks they need a gun right now this very second kind of terrifies me.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think it should be a lot harder to acquire them. I don't think it should be impossible. If we started treating gun licenses like driver's licenses I would be on board with that. Anyone who thinks they need a gun right now this very second kind of terrifies me.

Why not? Automatic weapons are illegal to acquire for all intents and purposes.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well, no. Just like a litany of other things in America, the real barrier to legally obtaining an automatic weapon is money.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

A person can even acquire explosives if they have the right licensing. I'm all for making AR-15s harder to get, there's a reason almost every mass shooter uses them. But people legitimately own them for leisure or collection purposes. I won't take that option away from them.

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Well, no. Just like a litany of other things in America, the real barrier to legally obtaining an automatic weapon is money.

My reply would be in the form of a question, and that question would be would you say that FOPA was effective in dramatically limiting the public's access to automatic firearms?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

My reply would be in the form of a question, and that question would be would you say that FOPA was effective in dramatically limiting the public's access to automatic firearms?

In that it made automatic firearms only available to people with a certain amount of capital, yes.

Considering your other political positions it seems interesting to me that your solution is to make another class of firearms only available to rich people.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LeviF said:

In that it made automatic firearms only available to people with a certain amount of capital, yes.

Considering your other political positions it seems interesting to me that your solution is to make another class of firearms only available to rich people.

Well we all know that noise suppressors are only available to elite white people.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well we all know that noise suppressors are only available to elite white people.

I appreciate the firearms education work that QB Jake Fromm put in for his community service graduation requirements at Georgia.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.