NFL looking at ways to improve the Pro Bowl

Greg S

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If they want an actual game, offer a size-able monetary incentive. Other than that, just stop the game all together. Add some more skill competitions. Either way, I won’t be watching. The pro-bowl is one of the most boring spectacles on all of TV IMO. 

"Skill competitions" have no place in football IMO.  Hell, they have no place in ANY sports, though lots of MLB fans seem to enjoy garbage like home run derbies and what not.

The whole idea of these types of all-star games is totally outdated and they should be eliminated from every sport that has one.

• Disagree 1

Get some old players that aren’t good as tv analysts to coach the players up, put the players in Day-Glo uniforms and have them play Madden 2022 and/or Call of Duty (for the trash talking championships). This would limit injuries and be as entertaining as the last 10 Pro Bowls. All star events like dominos, jacks, and underwater basket weaving. 

Move it back to after the SuperBowl. A couple weeks after, the die hard fans will watch it just to get their fix and you don’t have your best players opting out because they’re still playing real football. Whoever decided to have it the week before the SuperBowl was a complete idiot. 

Incentivize play with home field advantage and good money to the players.  Like most employers these days, they cant give them a 1990s paycheck and expect maximum effort.

Rotate the game through all the NFL Stadiums so each fanbase has a shot to actually attend.   

Or just cancel it. Adding more gimmicks like washed up player coaches and dancing bears on the 50yd line will just make it more of a joke than it already is. 

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

All kidding aside, flag football would work.  All the skill with far less chance of injury.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that as well.  I personally don’t care one bit about the Pro Bowl but if they insist on continuing it take the safety concerns away and put flags on them.

Or, have the players compete in non-football activities like a “Superstars” sort of event.

Just have an event where they recognize the league’s all pro team and be done with it! They’ve made the draft into a HUGE four day party and nobody has any expectation that a football game will break out. Why not do the same with the All Pro selection? 

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree the NFL Pro-Bowl doesn’t work, but I would contend that the NHL, MLB, and NBA are no better.  

The NHL has gone full gimmick with 3 on 3 tournaments division versus division.  It is no longer even a hockey game.  

The NBA game is identical to the NFL game - 100% offense with little to no defense.  It was 2 superstars pick their friends and play a 170 to 160 game.  It is stupid.

You can’t fix it because there is nothing of value on the line to make the game worthwhile.  Even MLB realized trying to make home field count was a waste.  The best part of all star weekends are always the skill competitions.  In MLB it is the home run contest, basketball it is the dunk contest, etc.

The NFL would be better off just accepting it is stupid and finding ways to embrace it as different.  It still gets bigger ratings than anything else on - find ways to incorporate fans - make a Madden play call set-up something that can be voted on the day before for certain plays on offense.  Have young fans on the sidelines helping out.

Don’t make it a serious game - make it Harlem Globetrotter fun and accept it as a celebration.  Cut the time down significantly and have more interview and fun times in the middle.  Do some skill drills and fan Q&A - maybe bring in some young kids teams and have them run a few series or go against the NFL stars in some skills.

Above all make it fun for the players and interactive and don’t worry about the “game” - the game is garbage, but the interactions can be amazing.

I have always accepted all-star games for what they are/were.  Meaningless exhibitions, but you get to see all the stars in one place.  A little bit of pageantry and the host city gets put in the spotlight for a weekend for the sport.  I agree on the 3 on 3 thing for the NHL.  I dont think it has been nearly as bad as their other gimmicks... but just give me East vs West.   I dont need the game to mean anything, nor do I want to overly incentivize the players to create fake meaning.  I also like the pause in the schedule and a 'breather' before the stretch run. 

The continuous play of hockey and basketball lend itself well to these exhibitions and you get to see the stars do some fun things and score a lot of points.  

MLB, I just like the history of it.  AL vs NL.  Its fun.  Cool ballpark decked out.  whatever.

NFL/football as a sport does not lend itself to this sort of exhibition, not to mention most of the players just got through a brutal war of attrition and are either recovering, or mitigating their risks for meaningless injury.  Each conference is forced to look deep on the bench for willing participants.   

The game itself is unwatchable and not fun, even compared to the other 3 major sports leagues.  I also thing being played after the season hurts it.  

A team golf format (sort of like Ryder cup but with 6 holes instead of 18 and trash talking encouraged) for those who golf and some other sport (cornhole, bowling, Madden, softball?) for those who don't.  A few weeks after the Super Bowl -- will definitely get good ratings. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

"Skill competitions" have no place in football IMO.  Hell, they have no place in ANY sports, though lots of MLB fans seem to enjoy garbage like home run derbies and what not.

The whole idea of these types of all-star games is totally outdated and they should be eliminated from every sport that has one.

Skills competitions are the best part of every All star weekend in Football and Hockey.  No one wants to watch these guys play half speed non-contact and call it football.  

Expanding the skills competition and changing the main event to pie eating would be an improvement over current.

• Agree 1

Cancel the game, go with skills competition. 

The trick is creating fun and interesting skill challenges that bring fun an entertainment. More than 40 yd dashes and QB arm strength/ accuracy.  Those are good but if your gonna replace game they got to find a hook. Something unique, something that brings laughs and wow moments together.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Cancel the game, go with skills competition. 

The trick is creating fun and interesting skill challenges that bring fun an entertainment. More than 40 yd dashes and QB arm strength/ accuracy.  Those are good but if your gonna replace game they got to find a hook. Something unique, something that brings laughs and wow moments together.

I have been advocating for family picnic style competitions.  Potato sack races, three-legged race, pie eating, egg on a spoon race, russian roulette, hot potato, mumblety peg, duck duck bull f@#$ng moose, musical stools, etc.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.