NFL looking at ways to improve the Pro Bowl

Greg S

17 hours ago, muppy said:

How about a benefit for NFL charities wherein the players meet in a tropical locale and hence make it a sports other than football contest of some sort? 

You mean kind of like Survivor?

17 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

It's vestigial. 

Excuse me but would you happen to know what "sciard" means?

16 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

I dont watch, pretty sure you dont watch.....yet it gets huge ratings, so they wont cancel it...its income.

It really gets huge ratings? That raises the question WTF is watching because what they do on that field makes a mockery of football.

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It really gets huge ratings? That raises the question WTF is watching because what they do on that field makes a mockery of football.

I dont know what huge is but it averages about 7 million viewers which is pretty large..SNF averages about 19 million.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Move it to Hawaii

Yes! And put it after the Super Bowl, like it used to be. 

Roger Goodell ruined it to begin with. Just put it back the way it was. That way every player that makes it, can actually play in it. Plus, it's a perk for those players and their families with a mini vacation in Hawaii. 

• Like (+1) 2

All joking aside, they could improve the NFL's "look" in Pro Bowl weekend by simply eliminating it.

They can still name a "Pro Bowl team" as a way of honoring the best players at the various positions, but skip the actual game.

Sporting competitions are fueled by competitive spirit to win.

As soon as you eliminate that, there is no point *at all* to playing the game.

• Like (+1) 1

NFL pros versus CFL pros (or USFL!) would be interesting if you could come to agreement on the rules and field dimensions.  Back in the day I always wanted to see how the best NFL Europe had compared to the NFL.  

Move the Pro Bowl around to cities that do not have an NFL team but have a major college team (and stadium).  Play it in Nebraska or Happy Valley.  

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

NFL pros versus CFL pros (or USFL!) would be interesting if you could come to agreement on the rules and field dimensions.  Back in the day I always wanted to see how the best NFL Europe had compared to the NFL.  

Move the Pro Bowl around to cities that do not have an NFL team but have a major college team (and stadium).  Play it in Nebraska or Happy Valley.  

I don't know, but those matchups would probably be pretty ugly.

You have to assume almost all CFL and NFL Europe rosters are composed--exclusively--of players who are below NFL Practice Squad calibre.

So the best of the NFL vs. a team of guys who wouldn't make an NFL practice squad?  Not sure of point of that. 

23 hours ago, The Red King said:

Used to be a thing of pride, showcase the stars.  But the game is so rough now, so much chance of injury that nobody goes full out.  Add to that that the stars of the Super Bowl teams no longer play and, well, there is no point anymore.

There used to be a time where players wore strips of beef jerkey for helmets and destroyed each other in the Pro Bowl because they were driven.  Those days are long gone.  I mean, could you imagine the outrage if, say, Von Miller obliterated Brady with a blindside hit in a Pro Bowl?

I think it's less that the game is rougher, more so that the money is larger. More at risk for a meaningless game.

Didn't the pro bowl use to determine if the SB was played i a AC or NFC sight ? Maybe not but i seem to remember that it use to be more to getting the win or maybe it was just that the players cared more about it .

I seem to remember not so long ago Lorenzo Alexander playing in the pro bowl doing this 😆 :worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4YXHqHgmk

You can see by the guys reaction that the game was starting to get soft then but Zo said something to the affect after words that it was football what did you expect or something along those lines .

I miss those kind of players not many like him or Kyle any more ...

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

All joking aside, they could improve the NFL's "look" in Pro Bowl weekend by simply eliminating it.

They can still name a "Pro Bowl team" as a way of honoring the best players at the various positions, but skip the actual game.

Sporting competitions are fueled by competitive spirit to win.

As soon as you eliminate that, there is no point *at all* to playing the game.

The game is terrible and doesnt work.  NHL and NBA can still hold an entertaining enough ASG, and MLB to a point...  NFL does not work.  These guys do enough.

I have always said they should turn it into a program/special.  Name an all-pro team and maybe a 2nd all-pro team... if not an "all AFC team" and "all NFC team".   Make it a special like the All-Madden team was, perhaps hosted by a popular figure like the Manning brothers

Hold an NFL awards-show.  Mint some awards like the NHL has and name them after people.  

Maybe do some sort of all-time team(s).  

Have some marquee players perform in fun things to be included in the broadcast or pro-bowl weekend.  Maybe a Madden tournament with a representative from each team (the winning team's fanbase gets something like a sign outside their stadium or something and $ for charity).  Carve and edit it up into a neat and fun broadcast.  

Maybe even have a 'legends' tournament where prominent ex-players play.

A golf event like what Rodgers/Brady/Mahomes/Allen re doing would be fun.  

If you are going to hold competitions, it needs to be things the players want to do, with zero health risk. 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:51 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

Ditch the game and add more interesting skills competitions.

Wr races, qb arm strength, which nose tackle can eat the most wings, etc 

This. Screw the game. Give me skills comps. 40yard races. 100yard races. QB power, distance, accuracy. WR catch radius comps. 

id much rather watch any of this stuff than that useless game. 

• Agree 1

Beer drinking, and wing eating contest, 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't know, but those matchups would probably be pretty ugly.

You have to assume almost all CFL and NFL Europe rosters are composed--exclusively--of players who are below NFL Practice Squad calibre.

So the best of the NFL vs. a team of guys who wouldn't make an NFL practice squad?  Not sure of point of that. 

One way to find out!  Same could be said for dudes who play basketball overseas and manage to give the US "Dream Team" a good beating.  It'd give the reason for the NFL players to show up so they aren't embarrassed.  

Edited by dpberr

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

The game is terrible and doesnt work.  NHL and NBA can still hold an entertaining enough ASG, and MLB to a point...  NFL does not work.  These guys do enough.

I agree the NFL Pro-Bowl doesn’t work, but I would contend that the NHL, MLB, and NBA are no better.  

The NHL has gone full gimmick with 3 on 3 tournaments division versus division.  It is no longer even a hockey game.  

The NBA game is identical to the NFL game - 100% offense with little to no defense.  It was 2 superstars pick their friends and play a 170 to 160 game.  It is stupid.

You can’t fix it because there is nothing of value on the line to make the game worthwhile.  Even MLB realized trying to make home field count was a waste.  The best part of all star weekends are always the skill competitions.  In MLB it is the home run contest, basketball it is the dunk contest, etc.

The NFL would be better off just accepting it is stupid and finding ways to embrace it as different.  It still gets bigger ratings than anything else on - find ways to incorporate fans - make a Madden play call set-up something that can be voted on the day before for certain plays on offense.  Have young fans on the sidelines helping out.

Don’t make it a serious game - make it Harlem Globetrotter fun and accept it as a celebration.  Cut the time down significantly and have more interview and fun times in the middle.  Do some skill drills and fan Q&A - maybe bring in some young kids teams and have them run a few series or go against the NFL stars in some skills.

Above all make it fun for the players and interactive and don’t worry about the “game” - the game is garbage, but the interactions can be amazing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.