NFL looking at ways to improve the Pro Bowl

Greg S

(12) Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "The NFL is discussing the Pro Bowl week and ways to improve it — including possibly eliminating the traditional game and using that Sunday to showcase the players in it. Essentially, what are the alternatives?" / Twitter

I never understood why they played this game. Nobody cares about it. I don't know what they could do to improve it.

• Like (+1) 1

The one possibly interesting thing they could do with the pro bowl - decide whether the AFC or NFC gets a ninth home game in the upcoming season.  Sort of like the MLB all star game and home field advantage for the World Series that used to be awarded to the winning league.

Other than that... agreed, it's utterly worthless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Sweepstakes for a group of fans to coach the game and call all the plays.  

Flag football with teams comprised from each division only.  (AFC East vs. AFC South)

Can only run plays from a selected historical era of football (only plays can be from the 70s)

Legends game (bring back TO!)

They can improve it by having no tackling allowed to get 59-51 scores. Oh wait, they already do that. So, how about we keep all the defensive pro bowlers who try to do nothing that game, and just replace all the offensive pro-bowlers with 3rd string dudes. Then we will start getting the Defensive pro bowlers some recognition with 3-0 scores. 

Used to be a thing of pride, showcase the stars.  But the game is so rough now, so much chance of injury that nobody goes full out.  Add to that that the stars of the Super Bowl teams no longer play and, well, there is no point anymore.

There used to be a time where players wore strips of beef jerkey for helmets and destroyed each other in the Pro Bowl because they were driven.  Those days are long gone.  I mean, could you imagine the outrage if, say, Von Miller obliterated Brady with a blindside hit in a Pro Bowl?

well I have a thought that would elevate the PRO BOWL to a much higher status and interest within the community of the NFL and

may even bring in some new fans.

How about a benefit for NFL charities wherein the players meet in a tropical locale and hence make it a sports other than football

contest of some sort. Non contact preferably.........make it a fan festival of some sort.  Are you feeling me on this? Something ALTRUISTIC

is where I think Im heading. Not some throw away who cares farce of a game ........golf?  softball?  I dunno....it cant get worse than it is now.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The one possibly interesting thing they could do with the pro bowl - decide whether the AFC or NFC gets a ninth home game in the upcoming season.  Sort of like the MLB all star game and home field advantage for the World Series that used to be awarded to the winning league.

Other than that... agreed, it's utterly worthless.

This alternating 9 home games for one conference with 8 for the other is dumb. The end game is probably 2 preseason games and an 18 game season.

I hope they cancel it. Usually the best players won't play because they still have to play in a more important game or they are injured or they just don't want to participate in the farce. Just select the All Pros and say huzzah!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.