Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, boater said:

Poyer signed a contract which he hasn't completed. I'm not going to demean someone who thinks not fulfilling a contract is crying or pouting.

Poyer signed a contract which he hasn't completed. I'm not going to demean someone who thinks not fulfilling a contract is crying or pouting.

I get that but nowadays signing a NFL contract doesn't have the same meaning as years ago. Contracts are consistently restructured and changed. It's become common place. The argument you use clearly loses it validity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Screw the crybaby players. Were they happy to sign their current contract? Did they willingly sign their current contract? Yes? Then STFU and play, dammit. Wal-Mart is hiring.

I get that what you are saying. It's valid but that's really not the way the current NFL works. A contract is a contract just falls short. Players and teams consistently maneuver their ways around binding contracts. The STFU and play argument just doesn't really apply anymore. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, boater said:

Yet teams can release players before the contract is completed. This is why they want a new one before previous one expires. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that what you are saying. It's valid but that's really not the way the current NFL works. A contract is a contract just falls short. Players and teams consistently maneuver their ways around binding contracts. The STFU and play argument just doesn't really apply anymore. 

Yes, and that is because these are not guaranteed contracts.  If a player underperforms, the team will cut him.  Except for guaranteed money, the contracts are worthless...and that works both ways.  If the player over-performs he wants the contract torn up and replaced.  It's the way the business of the NFL works.  Contracts are not honored on either side and, for the most part, that system works for both sides.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yes, and that is because these are not guaranteed contracts.  If a player underperforms, the team will cut him.  Except for guaranteed money, the contracts are worthless...and that works both ways.  If the player over-performs he wants the contract torn up and replaced.  It's the way the business of the NFL works.  Contracts are not honored on either side and, for the most part, that system works for both sides.

Or, the system sucks and will evolve into something better.

On a related note, I don't view NFL players the same way I view MLB or NBA players.

It's a very different deal all around for various reasons.

Some people fail to understand this distinction.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Exactly. That's why the argument you signed the contract stop whining doesn't apply for the most part. 

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Or, the system sucks and will evolve into something better.

On a related note, I don't view NFL players the same way I view MLB or NBA players.

It's a very different deal all around for various reasons.

Some people fail to understand this distinction.

Most definitely the NFL is unique. I could be wrong but it seems like the MLB and NBA contracts are more traditional and what most see as a binding contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Most definitely the NFL is unique. I could be wrong but it seems like the MLB and NBA contracts are more traditional and what most see as a binding contracts. 

The distinction I refer to also has to do with the differences in the sports, injury risk, catastrophic injury risk, length of career, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Yet teams can release players before the contract is completed. This is why they want a new one before previous one expires. 

The thing is it’s all agreed to with the CBA. Teams have cap penalties for releasing players and players get fined. Everything is within the CBA. 

I think the big problem for players is when they do hold out it hurts the team. When a team releases a player it’s most likely due to the cap or poor play so the release is justified.

Poyer and his agent know the Bills have space to sign Poyer. The problem is it likely comes at the expense of another position. Beane said others want deals as well. My guess is Edmunds, Knox, Oliver, and Hyde are also sniffing around for a deal. The Bills absolutely can’t keep all 5. 

Hyde is the interesting one in this situation. Hyde and Poyer have matching contracts. Both are equally important and playing at a high level. Hyde is older but if Poyer is getting a huge pay day then Hyde will likely want and deserve more as well. It’s a very tough situation. 

I think we’ll see both Hyde and Poyer signed to matching extensions this summer. Edmunds will be the odd man out.

I get the resentment from us plebs: we don't make silly money and we can't just not show up to work and few of us get "voluntary" days and we don't get our summers off (mostly).

But the ability to skip these practices for any reason is bargained for and built in to their contracts for this reason, and was agreed upon by the employers.

You can't compare us with them. Fine to be annoyed by it. I totally get that. I have wishes too.

But in a practical sense it's a silly comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

That is a classic McDermott'ism...Give enough information to entice you and yet make it a most meaningless statement!

I've stopped listening to McDemott press conferences.  I learn more from reading milk cartons that I learn from him.  He has mastered the art of talking for 10 minutes and saying nothing for 10 minutes.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The guy in the grey bills shirts looks kinda like Daboll and lol at Keenum pushing his hand away

Tweet was from 2020 so pretty sure that was Daboll. Qb was that guy we had last year not from Georgia lol really struggling with names today apparently 

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Love hearing about Basham looking good, albeit just in OTA play. A lot of folks thought he might be the better player in the short term between him and Groot and could be poised for a breakout season.

Also Doyle is an intriguing name to watch as he seems to fare well last year in spot duty as a utility type of player.

At the end of the day there is going to be some very tough cuts on this final roster.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

and I get what your saying -but only in the make believe world of professional sports. Say he gets a job broadcasting college games after he retires from football. The next year, another ex-jock joins the station for more pay. Hold out/don’t show up, you’re OUT.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.