Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Seems as if there seems to be some amnesia as to why the Bills didn't advance into the AFC Championship game.

Aside from the coaching gaffe

- The Bills couldn't get after the QB

- The Bills couldn't cover their receivers

That was addressed this offseason in a major way.

With that said, the offensive line on paper is slightly better and so is the backfield, tight ends with the WR's essentially being a push.

Get one more veteran depth CB and boundary WR and the team is set.

I don't want to really revisit the KC loss but I guess I will respond. I don't think any of us have amnesia. I'd argue many have PTSD. Perhaps it's just sarcasm. The Bills lost the game for many reasons besides the 2 you mentioned. Obviously, the loss of Tre was significant. The pass rush wasn't bad. In fact, they relentlessly pressured Mahomes. It was more of a great QB making unbelievable plays. His legs hurt the Bills as well with timely scrambles, runs, and extending plays. 

Fast forward to the upcoming season and the Bills roster. I think on paper the Bills remain very strong especially with a healthy upright Allen. I'd argue the WR core seems slightly weaker. Questions still remain on the offensive line. Special teams is a concern at punter and returner positions. How will Tre play? Lastly, and unpopular is the coaching staff. How will OC Dorsey's play calling impact the offense? Can coach McDermott learn from his horrific 13 second disaster? 

I expect a better and more consistent pass rush and a more formidable rush defense. Not a huge fan of Edmunds but I don't want to go there. Milano didn't seem to have the same kind of big play impact as previous years. I think the lb core is adequate and perhaps the weakest link of the Bills D. Seems like many overlook this. Maybe I'm wrong here? 

Lastly, the Bills schedule is much more difficult than previous years. Several teams have significantly improved their teams. Raiders, Denver, Chargers, Cinci, Indy, and Miami. I think the Bills are the best team in the AFC.  The Bills have huge targets on their backs as one of the favorites in the AFC. I suspect the Bills will get the best efforts of opposing teams. I can't wait for the season to start. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Seems as if there seems to be some amnesia as to why the Bills didn't advance into the AFC Championship game.

Aside from the coaching gaffe

- The Bills couldn't get after the QB

- The Bills couldn't cover their receivers

That was addressed this offseason in a major way.

With that said, the offensive line on paper is slightly better and so is the backfield, tight ends with the WR's essentially being a push.

Get one more veteran depth CB and boundary WR and the team is set.

The Bills had Mahomes running for his life all game. He just kept making crazy plays and/or dumping it off and watching Hill and McKinnon and Hardman get a ton of YAC.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The Bills had Mahomes running for his life all game. He just kept making crazy plays and/or dumping it off and watching Hill and McKinnon and Hardman get a ton of YAC.

You guys are mistaking that for good pressure.  Mahomes had plenty of time to throw, obviously after 3-4 seconds then the pressure was coming in.

It wasn't as if the Bills were getting immediate pressure, the reason why he was "running for his life" was because of the time he was afforded and he just stood back there looking for options and eventually the pressure was coming in.

• Agree 1

On 6/18/2022 at 9:52 AM, gobills404 said:

Those were mostly routine plays for Mahomes and pretty sustainable IMO. One guy flushing Mahomes out of the pocket doesn’t do much if Mahomes has room to run. He’ll either turn the corner, pick up an easy first, and go OB without taking a hit; or he’ll reset and hit the open man in the scrabble [EDIT:scramble] drill. He can do both of those all day.

Edited by Cash
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

You guys are mistaking that for good pressure.  Mahomes had plenty of time to throw, obviously after 3-4 seconds then the pressure was coming in.

It wasn't as if the Bills were getting immediate pressure, the reason why he was "running for his life" was because of the time he was afforded and he just stood back there looking for options and eventually the pressure was coming in.

A pressure is defined as getting 1.5 yards of the QB within 2.5 seconds of the snap. Nice try tho.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Yawn.

You claimed that I said that they invested as much on offense as they did on defense. I didn’t. 

My disagreeing with the notion that they didn’t invest in the offense is not the same as my saying that they invested as much on offense as they did on defense. 

But sure, go ahead and change the phrasing of what you’re accusing me of having said so that you can keep your “never been wrong even once” streak going. Par for the course.

Your constant personal attacks against my character — not my posts, mind you, but me as a person — your constant tagging me in posts, and your generally dismissive, arrogant, know-it-all demeanor are so tiresome. If you want to talk like an adult about football, great. Otherwise, please kindly keep my name out of your mouth.

He always gets his panties in a wad.

He tag me in posts even though I don’t respond to him ever.  He does the same thing to Yolo.  He’s a child. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Agree. They just couldn't get to him. It was frustrating. Perhaps, someone can shed some light on the Cinci game. The first half Mahomes had his way. However, in the 2nd half that Cinci D dominated the Chiefs offense. I remember them getting to Mahomes and rattling him too. Something tge Bills couldn't do. What did they do to dominate Mahomes? Surely, Mahomes played poorly too. 

48 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

A pressure is defined as getting 1.5 yards of the QB within 2.5 seconds of the snap. Nice try tho.

Good try yourself.  Lets state the facts:

1. Against KC in playoffs

a. Cincy generated 4 sacks, while rushing just 3 guys (with a spy) on quite a few occasions.  Mahomes ran 3x for 19 yards. KC had 375 total yards, 29 min TOP

b. Buffalo generated 2 sacks.  Mahomes escaped 7x for 69 yards.  KC had 552 total yards and 36 min TOP

Single game, yes.  But like Magox said, it was obvious during the KC game and many times throughout the season, against above average offensez, what our 3 main problems were:

1. Lack of physicality up front/continued struggles in the run game

2. Lack of consistent pass rush, especially with our DEs.

3. Struggles at CB, emphasized once Tre went down.  We needed a CB who could matchup with speed and length..enter Elam.

a. Levi struggled against big bodied and/or speed WRs.

b. Dane is better against big bodied WRs than Levi, but also has issues with over the top speed

Pretty wasy to connect the dots and see what the front office/coaches thought were issues, based on the FA and draft priorities.  We invested big money on #2, our 1st round pick on #3, and a manageable amount of $$ to address #1.

You don't give up 550+ yards in the playoffs and think our pressure rate was good enough OR equivalent to what Cincy was able to adjust with.  Hubbard and Hendrickson, were leaps and bounds above Hughes and Mario.  No surprise we basically left 4 of our 10 key rotating DL walk in Fa or cut.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Yawn.

You claimed that I said that they invested as much on offense as they did on defense. I didn’t. 

My disagreeing with the notion that they didn’t invest in the offense is not the same as my saying that they invested as much on offense as they did on defense. 

But sure, go ahead and change the phrasing of what you’re accusing me of having said so that you can keep your “never been wrong even once” streak going. Par for the course.

Your constant personal attacks against my character — not my posts, mind you, but me as a person — your constant tagging me in posts, and your generally dismissive, arrogant, know-it-all demeanor are so tiresome. If you want to talk like an adult about football, great. Otherwise, please kindly keep my name out of your mouth.

Scott simply said they sacrificed investment on the offensive side of the ball in favor of defense.

Your response was to straw man Scott by saying they invested in ALL OF THESE offensive players...........when he had never said they didn't sign anyone on offense.

$90M investment in just 5 defensive players >>>> $25M (spread out over 14 offensive players)

So either you were being willfully ignorant or just being a jag off for the sake of it.   Don't pretend to be an injured party,  that's just weak. :rolleyes: 

You aren't ever going to have an "adult football conversation" when you are using that straw man technique.

You want more respect.........play better.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Good try yourself.  Lets state the facts:

1. Against KC in playoffs

a. Cincy generated 4 sacks, while rushing just 3 guys (with a spy) on quite a few occasions.  Mahomes ran 3x for 19 yards. KC had 375 total yards, 29 min TOP

b. Buffalo generated 2 sacks.  Mahomes escaped 7x for 69 yards.  KC had 552 total yards and 36 min TOP

Single game, yes.  But like Magox said, it was obvious during the KC game and many times throughout the season, against above average offensez, what our 3 main problems were:

1. Lack of physicality up front/continued struggles in the run game

2. Lack of consistent pass rush, especially with our DEs.

3. Struggles at CB, emphasized once Tre went down.  We needed a CB who could matchup with speed and length..enter Elam.

a. Levi struggled against big bodied and/or speed WRs.

b. Dane is better against big bodied WRs than Levi, but also has issues with over the top speed

Pretty wasy to connect the dots and see what the front office/coaches thought were issues, based on the FA and draft priorities.  We invested big money on #2, our 1st round pick on #3, and a manageable amount of $$ to address #1.

You don't give up 550+ yards in the playoffs and think our pressure rate was good enough OR equivalent to what Cincy was able to adjust with.  Hubbard and Hendrickson, were leaps and bounds above Hughes and Mario.  No surprise we basically left 4 of our 10 key rotating DL walk in Fa or cut.

You said the Bills didn’t get immediate pressure and they did. Then you just wasted all that time moving the goal posts lol. Take care.

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Saffold has sucked at pass protection and has shoulder problems. 

You said “much better” offensive line. They have basically replaced one starter with a guy who’s struggled in protecting the QB for an offense that predominantly passes the ball. 

Everything being equal, based on last years performance you can’t possibly convince me the offensive line is “much better” on paper. So we can agree to disagree buddy.👍🏻

Perhaps Bills want to run the ball more this year or get quick release/hot read plays going with Cook now in the backfield, or wherever they line him up.
 Josh just needs to be more patient and play the long game and enjoy chunk plays etc  lol

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

What sort of stats are these?  

And Cincinnati was rushing with 3 much of the second half and dropping back an additional defender.   

The Bengals used a three-man rush to somehow flummox Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

The Bengals rushed three down linemen on 12 passing plays in the second half and overtime. Four of those plays resulted in sacks (all four in the 4th quarter), and another resulted in the overtime interception.

Bills pass rush was not championship caliber

Yet the Bills didn’t move him off his spot in the pocket enough and didn’t finish good rushes the few times they had him in their sights.

Mahomes was sacked just once and hit just twice in the Chiefs’ 38-24 victory over the Bills.

You are asking everyone to not trust their lying eyes and go with some cherry picked stat.  Bottom line is that it was pretty much universally accepted that the pass rush was inadequate against Mahomes, he was sacked once and hit just twice.  He had tons of time against a 4 man pass rush and when there was a rusher it was easy for him to evade.

This is a weird hill for you or anyone to die on, pretty much everyone knows that the pass rush that day stunk.

The point is that the offense was miles ahead of the defense on that day and when the Bills lost last year, most of the time it was because the defense couldn't close out the game.

Selecting a 1st round DB and adding Von Miller addresses what were our biggest weaknesses that prevented us from getting to the SuperBowl.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Scott simply said they sacrificed investment on the offensive side of the ball in favor of defense.

Your response was to straw man Scott by saying they invested in ALL OF THESE offensive players...........when he had never said they didn't sign anyone on offense.

$90M investment in just 5 defensive players >>>> $25M (spread out over 14 offensive players)

So either you were being willfully ignorant or just being a jag off for the sake of it.   Don't pretend to be an injured party,  that's just weak. :rolleyes: 

You aren't ever going to have an "adult football conversation" when you are using that straw man technique.

You want more respect.........play better.  

It’s quite humorous that you — with your techniques of outright dismissal, arrogance, know-it-all-ism, putting words in other people’s mouths, and frequent moving of the goal posts — would ever pretend to be the authority on adult conversation. 

With regard to earning respect on this board, I think my reputation points (especially relative to my overall post count) compared to yours — and in 15 or so less years of membership — speaks volumes. 

As for earning YOUR respect? Couldn’t care less. You’ve made it abundantly clear that you’ll always be rude and dismissive to me and attack me personally no matter what. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s quite humorous that you — with your techniques of outright dismissal, arrogance, know-it-all-ism, putting words in other people’s mouths, and frequent moving of the goal posts — would ever pretend to be the authority on adult conversation. 

With regard to earning respect on this board, I think my reputation points (especially relative to my overall post count) compared to yours — and in 15 or so less years of membership — speaks volumes. 

As for earning YOUR respect? Couldn’t care less. You’ve made it abundantly clear that you’ll always be rude and dismissive to me and attack me personally no matter what. 

You are such an aggrieved party, scarecrow.

wizardscarcrowclose-2.jpg

Is $90M a lot more of an investment than $25M or not?

You want to talk about football or would you rather keep crying?

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are such an aggrieved party, scarecrow.

wizardscarcrowclose-2.jpg

Is $90M a lot more of an investment than $25M or not?

You want to talk about football or would you rather keep crying?

Honestly I like you and logic post's. Not ruling out you're possibly thinking. I'm more in line with logic reasons. Ya badol have respect for you even tho disagree at times. Nothing wrong with different views. I'm super excited for this upcoming season. We all can do same. It's a different season until the results come in ( hoping win every darn game out there). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Just put him on ignore as he obviously thinks he is the smartest person in the room but is far from it.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Honestly I like you and logic post's. Not ruling out you're possibly thinking. I'm more in line with logic reasons. Ya badol have respect for you even tho disagree at times. Nothing wrong with different views. I'm super excited for this upcoming season. We all can do same. It's a different season until the results come in ( hoping win every darn game out there). 

Logic doesn't have a reason.........he was just triggered by Scott's statement of fact about the level of investment in defense versus offense........so he straw-manned him with a response that didn't in any way refute what he was taking offense to.

$90M > $25M 

Fact.

None of this is a referendum on whether you or anyone else should be excited about the season.

I'd be excited about the season if they were the prohibitive SB favorite or the favorite to end up with the #1 pick in the draft.   

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

You said the Bills didn’t get immediate pressure and they did. Then you just wasted all that time moving the goal posts lol. Take care.

I didn't say that, btw, lol.  But while you brought it up, what did this mysterious immediate pressure lead to? 500+ yards given up, and just 2 sacks? Oh yeah, great pressure by our front 4.

You clearly missed the point that I was supporting from the other poster.  Which was Cincys front 4 pressure and defense performed much much better than what we did.  Our defense lacked a top edge rusher all season, for the past few years.  Difficult to be a super bowl team, without one.

But continue to find useless "immediate pressure" stats, that Jerry Hughes seems to always be great at, but not actually getting the sack.  I think the front office agrees.  Take care as well

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Logic doesn't have a reason.........he was just triggered by Scott's statement of fact about the level of investment in defense versus offense........so he straw-manned him with a response that didn't in any way refute what he was taking offense to.

$90M > $25M 

Fact.

None of this is a referendum on whether you or anyone else should be excited about the season.

I'd be excited about the season if they were the prohibitive SB favorite or the favorite to end up with the #1 pick in the draft.   

Where is the $90m coming from?  By my math, it's $72m...of which Von is $51m.  So....why are we throwing around this figure, when Vons contract heavily skews the discussion?

Point being, the front office saw a glaring need to find a true difference maker to rush the passer.  Outside of that 1 contract, we invested similar on both sides of the ball...albeit a bit more on defense, when considering our draft class.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.