Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Designed runs were very effective. It's one of Allen's best assets. Would you advocate for Jackson or Murray to run less due to unnecessary risks? No because their legs are too vital to their offenses. Same goes for Allen. Look at the weapon he was inside the red zone and critical 3rd and 4th down plays.

I can see dailing it back if the Bills Rbs are effective and produce. That remains to be seen. Thus far, we know Allen's legs are every bit as elite as his arm. He appears to be very durable and intelligent enough to protect his body when he takes a hit. Sure, I cringe every time he takes a hit. 

Lastly, I would like to address the regular season vs playoffs. You have to play to win every regular season game. You develop a strategy and game plan accordingly to the team your playing. If that means utilizing Allen's legs then so be it. I don't think you can just all of a sudden use Allen's legs when the playoffs start. That's just a recipe for losing. 

In concluding, lots of unknowns about how effective the Bills run game will be. Motor looked very good, addition of Cook, a healthier Moss, and an improved Oline can led to lesser but more effective Allen runs. However, I'm still an advocate of letting Allen run. His legs are just too good to take that away. 

Disagree. Keeping Allen healthy for the next 10 years is the priority. Tune down the designed runs unless the season is on the line.

We have plenty of upgrades for the passing game this year. The OC and Allen should have no problems finding open players who can do something with the ball. More short pass plays that are just as effective as a run game should be dialed up.

Also our run game itself should improve IMO. OL should be more stable and new OL coach should help here.

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who?

Gabe Davis is entering his 3rd year....the same guy you said can't do anything in the passing game unless he's wide open on a designed route.  Believe it or not, players can improve from year 1 to year 3.  

Jamison Crowder adds more after the catch than Beasley.  Beasley did a great job here but we were I think dead last in the league in YAC.

We obviously were looking for a RB in the passing game which is why we tried to sign McKissic.  Now we have James Cook.  Again, another YAC player.

I believe McKenzie is going to get more opportunities in the passing game this year.  His contract states he's probably not going to be held on the sidelines like the first half of last year.  

You have this attitude that if you bring back the same players, it can't improve.  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Disagree. Keeping Allen healthy for the next 10 years is the priority. Tune down the designed runs unless the season is on the line.

We have plenty of upgrades for the passing game this year. The OC and Allen should have no problems finding open players who can do something with the ball. More short pass plays that are just as effective as a run game should be dialed up.

Also our run game itself should improve IMO. OL should be more stable and new OL coach should help here.

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! In 13 seconds...

Edited by newcam2012

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! 

RUN HIM TILL HE PUKES!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Make the Bills have camp in Atlanta….definitely will puke.

I can say without a doubt, playing football in weather like that (played Football 10 years in FL), can make you puke and worse, dry heave.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

I can say without a doubt, playing football in weather like that (played Football 10 years in FL), can make you puke and worse, dry heave.

I played football as well and it makes you dizzy.  

I won't even cut my grass right now because at 40, I could die.  It was 87 degrees at 10:30 last night.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I won't even cut my grass right now because at 40, I could die.  It was 87 degrees at 10:30 last night.

Hence why I do not live in FL anymore.  I am 40 as well and F that heat.  When i go visit family in FL, I am always reminded of why I won't live there again.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It is 90 in London right now. I am actually melting.

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But what started this branch of the discussion was the declaration of people like @Logic that the Bills made similar investments in improving their offensive personnel as they did their defensive personnel this offseason.    And that is not the truth at all.

Please feel free to point out where I said that the Bills made similar investments in improving their offensive personnel as they did their defensive personnel. You can't, because I didn't say it.

You don't get to accuse ME of mis-remembering or selectively remembering history and your opinions, as you have in the past, only to turn around and make up things that I never said just to further your agenda.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! In 13 seconds...

And limiting his legs during the regular season is isn’t reckless either.  It’s smart.  We need him for 15 more years…..not 5.  If we can’t make the playoffs in this division this season without Josh getting 10+ carries a game, we shouldn’t be worrying about winning the SB.  We aren’t that good. But…..we are that good.  Josh is that good. He should be preserved in the regular season.  That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t run. He should.  But his runs should be limited to scrambles as opposed to designed runs. 

Then unleash him in the playoffs.  Unleashing him all season allows opposing defenses the opportunity to trial and error ways to stop his running.  

anyway, agree to disagree.  

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Please feel free to point out where I said that the Bills made similar investments in improving their offensive personnel as they did their defensive personnel. You can't, because I didn't say it.

You don't get to accuse ME of mis-remembering or selectively remembering history and your opinions, as you have in the past, only to turn around and make up things that I never said just to further your agenda.

I had to just put some folks on ignore..  not worth the effort and time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills are fine at the WR spot, but they are one boundary WR away from risking that away.

Diggs and Gabe Davis are going to be a high caliber starting outside boundary duo, but depth at that spot is shaky.   They just need to bring in a veteran who can play the role if one of the two go down.  In regards to the receiving options from the backfield, TE's and slots with the addition of OJ, Shakir, Crowder and Cook, there is a huge upgrade at those spots.   Overall, the Bills lose one quality depth boundary WR and gain many other options at the other receiving positions.  Net net, it's clear that the team has improved on the receiving front, at least on paper.

For me to feel a little more comfortable, the Bills would need to add one more veteran boundary WR.  With that the Bills are set for the season.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

The Bills are fine at the WR spot, but they are one boundary WR away from risking that away.

Diggs and Gabe Davis are going to be a high caliber starting outside boundary duo, but depth at that spot is shaky.   They just need to bring in a veteran who can play the role if one of the two go down.  In regards to the receiving options from the backfield, TE's and slots with the addition of OJ, Shakir, Crowder and Cook, there is a huge upgrade at those spots.   Overall, the Bills lose one quality depth boundary WR and gain many other options at the other receiving positions.  Net net, it's clear that the team has improved on the receiving front, at least on paper.

For me to feel a little more comfortable, the Bills would need to add one more veteran boundary WR.  With that the Bills are set for the season.

This. 👍🏻 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And limiting his legs during the regular season is isn’t reckless either.  It’s smart.  We need him for 15 more years…..not 5.  If we can’t make the playoffs in this division this season without Josh getting 10+ carries a game, we shouldn’t be worrying about winning the SB.  We aren’t that good. But…..we are that good.  Josh is that good. He should be preserved in the regular season.  That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t run. He should.  But his runs should be limited to scrambles as opposed to designed runs. 

Then unleash him in the playoffs.  Unleashing him all season allows opposing defenses the opportunity to trial and error ways to stop his running.  

anyway, agree to disagree.  

That's fair. I don't think we are that far apart. Agree on still using his legs. How much is always debatable. Lots of variables that are known and unknown come into play. 

Perhaps it's semantics. I don't like term "preserving" him. To me, it has a negative connotation. It seems passive rather then being assertive. Seems like it's playing scared. I know you and others will advocate it's playing smart. Perhaps, we are splitting hairs.

I have no issues with the Bills calling limited RPOs. I believe it keeps defenses honest and it's a great weapon for the Bills. Why limit their offense, skill set, and dynamic play calling? 

Lastly, as stated previously I don't think the Bills can abandom RPOs all season and then turn it on in the playoffs. That's wishful thinking at best. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.