Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because he allowed 11 sacks........most in the league by a tackle?

Makes sense... I see Ty Nsekhe is still a free agent. So is Marcus Price, but he's a little older.

Edited by Rico

48 minutes ago, Rico said:

Makes sense... I see Ty Nsekhe is still a free agent. So is Marcus Price, but he's a little older.

I can live with the moves on the O-line........ it's the combination of modest investments across the board on offense..........and more the receivers than anything.    The entire league is saying receiving talent is maybe second only to QB talent..........and yet the Bills have been cutting corners their the last two offseasons.     Their overall WR talent appears significantly diminished from the group that they had on the field early in 2020.   For a team that says "WR is our fastball"........it doesn't seem like they have put enough emphasis on it.    I still think they are probably looking for 3rd boundary receiver.   

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The entire league is saying receiving talent is maybe second only to QB talent..........and yet the Bills have been cutting corners their the last two offseasons.     Their overall WR talent appears significantly diminished from the group that they had on the field early in 2020.

Haven't you been saying WRs are now overvalued almost to the level of RBs and that we overpaid Diggs?

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Haven't you been saying WRs are now overvalued

Haven't you been saying Josh Allen can't win in the playoffs?

We can all play this game. :doh:

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If you could somehow get past @BADOLBILZ to argue with present @BADOLBILZ you could power this thread for years.

Don't you have some sheep to tend?

https://www.thecheyennepost.com/news/bestiality-legal-in-wyoming/article_099ffc5a-5b3f-11eb-91ff-b322b5e4df54.html

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure?

Saffold pro bowl guard and bates for a whole season. Year of growth from Spencer brown. That’s a personnel upgrade at 3 starting positions. Quessenberry is a better swing tackle than Doyle. Depth guard I guess is worse considering they had bates waiting in the wings. All this before I even mention that kromer >> Johnson.  Do you think the OL is not the best it’s ever been for josh?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Why did the Titans let Quessenberry walk?

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because he allowed 11 sacks........most in the league by a tackle?

It’s true his pass protection is not

great. But he is a great run blocker. Maybe they thought they couldn’t afford him with their cap numbers. The titans drafted isiah Wilson in the first so they def don’t get the benefit of the doubt when it come to tackle evaluation. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, I haven't. But you said that other thing that I said. So your opinion on this topic is all over the place.

Nah. 

Nobody has been more adamant about wanting the Bills to acquire more WR talent than I...........and it's not new........I've seen the value in stacking the position for a decade. 

Here's how this works............you make a ridiculous claim to derail a conversation you are looking increasingly idiotic in........then insist that it's true to try to sell it..........and then *maybe* pretend to do the work to prove you are right...........then all that you come up with is me saying I didn't think the Bills should extend Diggs just yet because he has 2 years left on his deal.     And you then try to claim victory for your overall take that I think WR's are of decreasing value in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Douchebaggery is your crutch.

You will NEVER find me having said that receivers aren't increasingly critical to team performance in the NFL.   Maybe you arrived late, but I did not.

Are we advancing the OTA discussion yet?    

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can live with the moves on the O-line........ it's the combination of modest investments across the board on offense..........and more the receivers than anything.    The entire league is saying receiving talent is maybe second only to QB talent..........and yet the Bills have been cutting corners their the last two offseasons.     Their overall WR talent appears significantly diminished from the group that they had on the field early in 2020.   For a team that says "WR is our fastball"........it doesn't seem like they have put enough emphasis on it.    I still think they are probably looking for 3rd boundary receiver.   

I definitely think they are adding an outside WR, I said as much in that prediction thread. Yeah, I would've rather seen a WR in the 1st instead of Matt Elam's nephew, even if it would've meant trading up a little, but everyone I liked was already long gone. Until proven otherwise, the Jets scrub is a downgrade to Beasley, I don't care what stats show since stats are for losers (just like the Jets)... but maybe he is good after all. GMs were pissed that Beane stole Shakir in the 5th round, yet no one was stopping them from drafting him at the end of Day 2/beginning of Day 3. Maybe Davis wasn't a one-game wonder who benefited from Honey Badger's absence. Maybe Lil Dirty can build on that epic game in Foxboro. Maybe the HMLP-lovers are finally right about Kumerow. Whole lotta maybes and if's, but Josh Allen is the great equalizer. so I'm not really worried at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

He was also healthy when we played them in October and shut them down for the most part. 

It might be sustainable for a year, but the more he runs, the shorter his career will likely be. 

I get that. However, the Bills have an awesome chance to make a super bowl appearance and hoist the Lombardi Trophy. The best chance of doing so is utilizing his legs. That's pretty much a given and without much dispute. Of course don't take unnecessary hit but you let Allen play! You don't win super bowls by fearing injuries, playing scared or not assertive, and not using your best weapons. Allen as pure pocket passer makes the Bills offense less effective. Let Allen lose! 

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that. However, the Bills have an awesome chance to make a super bowl appearance and hoist the Lombardi Trophy. The best chance of doing so is utilizing his legs. That's pretty much a given and without much dispute. Of course don't take unnecessary hit but you let Allen play! You don't win super bowls by fearing injuries, playing scared or not assertive, and not using your best weapons. Allen as pure pocket passer makes the Bills offense less effective. Let Allen lose! 

The best chance of doing so is utilizing his legs….in the playoffs.  If they were smart, they’d have 2 different offenses.  1:  Regular season offense, where they limit his runs to passing play scrambles and very important 3rd downs.  Playoff offense: App Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, ddaryl said:

You have a 250 million $$$ QB taking unnecessary hits. It is not sustainable.  Chances of a season ending injury continue to climb every time Allen gets hit. Yes he is big and strong, and can take on more then most QB's but we shouldn't be pressing that button when we do not have to.

If the season is on the line then let Allen run, but we need to limit his designed runs. Designed runs in the regular season is just an unnecessary risk.

Designed runs were very effective. It's one of Allen's best assets. Would you advocate for Jackson or Murray to run less due to unnecessary risks? No because their legs are too vital to their offenses. Same goes for Allen. Look at the weapon he was inside the red zone and critical 3rd and 4th down plays.

I can see dailing it back if the Bills Rbs are effective and produce. That remains to be seen. Thus far, we know Allen's legs are every bit as elite as his arm. He appears to be very durable and intelligent enough to protect his body when he takes a hit. Sure, I cringe every time he takes a hit. 

Lastly, I would like to address the regular season vs playoffs. You have to play to win every regular season game. You develop a strategy and game plan accordingly to the team your playing. If that means utilizing Allen's legs then so be it. I don't think you can just all of a sudden use Allen's legs when the playoffs start. That's just a recipe for losing. 

In concluding, lots of unknowns about how effective the Bills run game will be. Motor looked very good, addition of Cook, a healthier Moss, and an improved Oline can led to lesser but more effective Allen runs. However, I'm still an advocate of letting Allen run. His legs are just too good to take that away. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The best chance of doing so is utilizing his legs….in the playoffs.  If they were smart, they’d have 2 different offenses.  1:  Regular season offense, where they limit his runs to passing play scrambles and very important 3rd downs.  Playoff offense: App Reaction GIF

I just don't think that strategy is effective for several reasons. First off, their is no guarantee that the Bills makes the playoffs. You make the playoffs by winning regular season games. There are no easy games in the NFL. The Bills have a much more difficult schedule, our division opponents seem to have improved, and the Bills have a HUGE target on their backs as being the "team to beat." Thus, you play to win which likely means Allen will be using his legs. RPOs, designed runs, and inside the red zone. His running and threat too opens up the passing game more. A nightmare for opposing defenses to defend. 

I don't think you can just turn it on in the playoffs when your team hasn't done something all year. Saving Allen's legs for the playoffs seems foolish.

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Exactly.........once the playoffs arrive, everything is on the table.   But you can't have him running 15 times in a game like he had to against a lowly Atlanta team that they struggled to put away offensively last season and then expect him to be healthy come playoff time or to have a long career.     This half-stepping wrt offensive personnel could cut years off a career that we want to last another 15+ years if possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Saffold is almost a wash for Williams and we have no idea how Brown will develop… and Bates is now RG and doesn’t have Dawkins next to him.

“Much better” is a gigantic stretch… and Josh has never had a good offensive line so not saying much that it may be the best it’s ever been for him.

Lol what. Daryl Williams who is still a free agent after we cut him is a wash with a Rodger Saffold that just came off a pro bowl year to finish his contract. You think Rodger Saffold wouldn’t be signed right now as he’s a wash with Daryl Williams?  

So after your laughable first argument let’s assume you’re right on the rest. If bates can’t flip sides (cause he has only played all the OL spots), then I still think all our other iOL depth (besides ford) is better than Daryl Williams (who is unsigned lolol). Now brown regresses from what was an already inconsistent year. Quessenberry played better than him last year. So if he can maintain his play then we have still upgraded. 

Someone gif me a Billy Madison “may god have mercy on your soul”. At no point during your laughable arguments did you come close to making a salient point for why even in the worst case the line still hasn’t improved. 

agree josh has never had a good line so low bar. But wow that was a good laugh. Dudes not signed and he’s wash with Saffold.  We don’t know exactly what the league thinks of Saffold but we definitely know what it thinks of Williams (about as much as your take is worth 🤣)

Edited by YattaOkasan

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You suggested it’s much improved, that’s a really big stretch to say at this point. 

Agree. On Saffold is he an upgrade on Williams? Yes, but not a huge one. He has always been overrated IMO and he sucked in pass pro last year. Tannehill had one of the lowest times "from snap to pressure" numbers in the entire NFL. 

And I agree on Bates too. His performances were encouraging last year but he benefited from Dawkins playing his best football of the year down the stretch. We saw it the year before with Ike. Looked like a solid starting guard with Dion alongside him down the stretch in 2020, but at right guard last year next to Brown his limitations were definitely on show more. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly.........once the playoffs arrive, everything is on the table.   But you can't have him running 15 times in a game like he had to against a lowly Atlanta team that they struggled to put away offensively last season and then expect him to be healthy come playoff time or to have a long career.     This half-stepping wrt offensive personnel could cut years off a career that we want to last another 15+ years if possible.

Disagree with the premise that running Allen is going to shorten his career. Right now, he is young, strong, and in his prime. His durability shouldn't be an issue. He has clearly shown that he can run well and sort of speak safely. Of course, dailung it back some will be optimal if others can produce. To make Allen a pure pocket passer would be a mistake. The Bills offense is much better with Allen running and the threat of him running. I think that's pretty straightforward. You just don't turn it on in the playoffs without doing something effectively in the regular season. The regular season games are extremely important to try to get a buy and home field advantage. Thus, the Bills should play to win and not play conservative or scared. Of course, playing smart which means utilizing Allen's legs. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.