Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think it’s safe to say Von Miller will be playing both LB and DE this year seeing he’s being photo graphed with both groups.

There are A TON of photo graphs of Von Miller.......almost always a good thing........this is both one of the funnier and most prescient one's ever.   Who says PFF doesn't have a clue?

player-matchup_template.png

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If they had lost Aaron Donald or Jalen Ramsey they wouldn't have been so lucky. No team has great depth everywhere. The cap and limited draft picks means you have to accept some weak points. When you have the best QB in the league you can manage the loss of a starting outside WR better than most.

Right….meanwhile, after the AFCCG loss to the chiefs two years ago, all I read on here was “our WRs were hurt, that’s why our offense stunk”.   They weren’t wrong.  Our all world QB couldn’t do anything that game. 

our passing game is our bread and butter.  We should have a better outside wr3 imo.  We shall see

9 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Either way, I’m already excited for Tavon to get a roster spot. Dude is darting all over the field and has raked in 4 TDs already. Allen will find his speed. 

It’s OTA’s…..  temper young padawan 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

C1 still being a clown 🤡 I see.

Is he still looking for respect?

C1 isn’t a “he”.  If it were a he, it would be Erik Turner.  You should address this Twitter account as Greg Tompsett.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No,  I guess you will have explain to me how Beasley has not been more productive than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons?

He's literally had more catches and yards receiving than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons.   And obviously the last two.

Just how far back do you want to go back to give the oft-injured Crowder credit for still being the same player he was?  

1 season was fair.   2 seasons was decisive.

This is such a poor comparison, focusing on yards only as if the team's offense and qb don't matter.

In 2019, Crowder had more yards than Beasley and was the leading receiver on a team that was dead last in offensive ranking.

In 2020, While Beasley had a career year on the #2 O with Diggs as the #1 WR, Crowder was once again the leading receiver on a team ranked dead last in O with no true #1 WR.

Certainly his durability is questionable relative to Beasley, but statistically there is very little difference between the two.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

meanwhile, after the AFCCG loss to the chiefs two years ago, all I read on here was “our WRs were hurt, that’s why our offense stunk”.   They weren’t wrong.  Our all world QB couldn’t do anything that game. 

That was part of it. Allen also just didn't play very well. He was forcing balls downfield instead of taking free yards that were available underneath. With Allen playing as well as he did in December and January last year, and I have no reason to think he won't continue that level of play, we don't need outstanding WR depth. And anyways every team with a top passing offense is in the same boat. No one can lose one of their top 2 outside WRs and replace their production. Most teams would have to insert a WR of the Tavon Austin caliber. It's a pointless nitpicking talking point that we inevitably dredge up every offseason.

Edited by HappyDays

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No,  I guess you will have explain to me how Beasley has not been more productive than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons?

He's literally had more catches and yards receiving than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons.   And obviously the last two.

Just how far back do you want to go back to give the oft-injured Crowder credit for still being the same player he was?  

1 season was fair.   2 seasons was decisive.

I mean if you go all the way back to 2016 he and Tavon Austin put up over 1300 combined yards!    Time in a bottle, baby! :rolleyes:

Yep.......Tavon Austin,  Duke Johnson and Greg Mancz to the Jets for Breece Hall and a 3rd..........who says, no?    

Amirite @IronMaidenBills?    

Or are we afraid to face Tavon twice per year? ;)

Cmon man.  Don’t act like the QB/ OL and offensive play callers have given crowder even the slightest chance to keep up with Beasley statistically.  If we had signed crowder and the jets would’ve signed Beasley their stats would’ve been reversed.  And you know thisssss, man.  

edit:  and if you don’t know this, I’ve clearly given you too much credit and you still have much to learn. But….you know this

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That was part of it. Allen also just didn't play very well. He was forcing balls downfield instead of taking free yards that were available underneath. With Allen playing as well as he did in December and January last year, and I have no reason to think he won't continue that level of play, we don't need outstanding WR depth. And anyways every team with a top passing offense is in the same boat. No one can lose one of their top 2 outside WRs and replace their production. Most teams would have to insert a WR of the Tavon Austin caliber. It's a pointless nitpicking talking point that we have inevitably dredge up every offseason.

Yeah….that WAS part of it…. Not really sure what else has to be said.  

The Rams lost their #2 WR and won a super bowl…. It’s not about matching production.  It’s about winning the super bowl.  

Literally every topic is a nitpicking talking point every offseason.  This is entertainment. 

if you’re happy with our depth at outside WR, good for you.  Many aren’t, myself included.  It’s ok to disagree

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s OTA’s…..  temper young padawan 

C1 isn’t a “he”.  If it were a he, it would be Erik Turner.  You should address this Twitter account as Greg Tompsett.  

THE cover 1 used to post here did he not?

He couldn’t take the heat of honest feedback so he headed for the hills looking for fame and glory and Media accreditation. 

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

He couldn’t take the heat of honest feedback so he headed for the hills looking for fame and glory and Media accreditation. 

Or maybe he’s too busy working.  Cutting up clips and watching tape as opposed to read TSW.  Not sure why you’d bash on Turner.  He’s a little biased towards the bills, but he knows his stuff and I enjoy all of his stuff, even if I disagree with some things that he says.

anthony prohaska on the other hand.  I find his voice annoying.  His intro to his show is the most cringe worthy intro on yt imo.  Well spoken and a good guy, but I’m not a fan of the delivery or his content.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I had no idea people didn’t like Cover 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I wonder how Beasley would have done in those schemes under those QBs with the Jets. 

He’s still available so they should try to find out 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

if you’re happy with our depth at outside WR, good for you.  Many aren’t, myself included.  It’s ok to disagree

It's not about being happy with the specific depth of one position group. Everyone acts like the only way our team can survive a (God forbid) major injury to Diggs is with a starting caliber WR waiting in the wings. That's not how it works. If the WRs suddenly get hit with the injury bug the TEs will have to step up. Or the run game. Or Allen and Dorsey. Or the defense can step up and make up for some of the lost offensive production. This whole conversation about WR depth is looking at team building in a vacuum. Every part of the team impacts every other part. We all know the Bills have one of the best rosters in the league from top to bottom. Pointing to one specific backup spot as evidence that Beane failed to address a need on the team is worse than nitpicking. There isn't a single team in the league that isn't one or two major injuries away from suddenly falling down a tier. All you can do is use your available resources to build the best roster possible and hope for the best from there. I feel pretty good about this roster, personally.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cmon man.  Don’t act like the QB/ OL and offensive play callers have given crowder even the slightest chance to keep up with Beasley statistically.  If we had signed crowder and the jets would’ve signed Beasley their stats would’ve been reversed.  And you know thisssss, man.  

Nah, you're wrong........Crowder had been FED as a slot receiver prior to last year when his production fell off.    He and Beasley have both been roughly 7 target per game guys.    

Crowder just hasn't been able to stay healthy for large portions of 3 of the past 4 seasons.

Wrap your head around that fact before you give me sh*t about how HE simply would have put up Beasley's numbers.

And back in 2019 Crowder had 27 f*cking targets in two games against the Bills!:lol:   Do you guys really think he wasn't given his opportunities to put up numbers or that I somehow missed what he was doing?   He was their entire passing game working from the slot.

I think Crowder was at one time the more talented player than Beasley.   He was a 4th round pick, after all.   Is he still?   I don't know, he sucked last year......he had bad bulk numbers, his per games were down,  he missed 5 full games and snaps in others, and had bad underlying numbers(like YAC).

I love the cheap flyer on him but I'm not just expecting him to be better than Beasley(who was frankly disappointing himself in 2021). 

Ultimately, you are what your record says you are in the NFL.     Before you try to tell me what I should know.......be honest with yourself........do you credit every 900 yard receiver who doesn't have a great QB throwing to him as a producer equal of 1200 yard Stefon Diggs?   Of course you don't.

You can't have it both ways.   

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think most people who are concerned with the offensive depth know the teams success rides with the offense and it producing…. Not the defense…. So injuries there hurt more and impact the team more. Hell, the Bills lost their best defensive player last season and proceeded to play BETTER after his loss. 

And your choosing to ignore facts if you don’t think McBeane prioritized the defense and that units quality depth over the offenses.

The strange thing about their compulsion to spend/invest relentlessly on defense...........that side of the ball is where so much of what they do is about AVOIDING matchup football.   Matching up is expensive.   Being effective in zone defense is a way to stay cheaper on defense.    They just can't be sated on that side of the ball though.   And since defense is the more difficult side of the ball to both predict and remain consistent at.......try as a team might(see 2020 Bills).........it can become a money pit(see the Legion of Boom Seahawks).

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think most people who are concerned with the offensive depth know the teams success rides with the offense and it producing…. Not the defense…. So injuries there hurt more and impact the team more. Hell, the Bills lost their best defensive player last season and proceeded to play BETTER after his loss

It's arguable that if we traded Stefon Diggs for a fully healthy Tre White we might win that Chiefs game. That alone puts this entire post into question. It's nonsense to say that the team's success "rides" with the offense. If we want to win a championship we need both sides to perform at a top tier level. If you believe the Bills as a team performed better after losing White, that just proves the point I made before about how to overcome injuries. We didn't have good CB depth capable of replacing White's production. Instead the offense stepped up. And I don't really agree with that statement anyways. The defense was notably worse after White went down. If the money spent on a WR in Sanders had been spent on a better CB maybe the season would have ended differently. That's the gamble you take building a roster. You never know what depth you'll need to use.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's arguable that if we traded Stefon Diggs for a fully healthy Tre White we might win that Chiefs game. That alone puts this entire post into question. It's nonsense to say that the team's success "rides" with the offense. If we want to win a championship we need both sides to perform at a top tier level. If you believe the Bills as a team performed better after losing White, that just proves the point I made before about how to overcome injuries. We didn't have good CB depth capable of replacing White's production. Instead the offense stepped up. And I don't really agree with that statement anyways. The defense was notably worse after White went down. If the money spent on a WR in Sanders had been spent on a better CB maybe the season would have ended differently. That's the gamble you take building a roster. You never know what depth you'll need to use.

Agree HappyDays. The result in this is proven facts and truth played in that chiefs game. I know details for this off season.  Defense needed help as well. Needed some run defense, von miller, a 2cb (last year needed 1 and 2 cbs with white injury), the (back ups) cb's couldn't handle Hill and Kelce, and more. 

3 hours ago, CaliBills said:

hahah ok dokie there big boy.  Let me bow down to the all mighty Badolbillz.....   gtfo here....

I already commented how your arguments are invalid due to different variables. Just because you continue to ride high on your horse and beat it to death doesn't mean it garners any respect.

You are basing your argument on last years numbers.  Which is very idiotic (using your word) since according to that logic, Josh Allen would never improve because of last year or the year before or the year before that.  Or there is no chance of Gabe Davis improving, or Knox, or anyone for that matter because of...... wait for it.... Last years numbers.  

Which means ABSOLUTLEY nothing going into this year.  

As I said, let the season play out. But whom am I to give any advice to the almighty BBMB poster.  

Exactly, high and mighty old timer who thinks he instantly knows more than practically every poster.  Don't get too upset about it, he does this to everyone.

Based on what I've seen, limited (thankfully) exposure to his posts:

1. Talks down to most posters, b/c he sits around with his 60+ yr old buddies talking football and makes him instantly knowledgeable.  (although somehow he disregards that some of us actually have coaching/background playing experience, or could just be well educated fans).

2. He also is a season ticket holder, Bills sideline somewhere 20-30 rows up, between the 40s.  Although his other old pals, have seasons and likely closer to field.

3. Every now and then stirs the pot (ie: go search his Beasley/McDermott thread from last season, pure gold...or other topics of "expertise", including Tremaine Edmunds).

Bottom line, long time posters will get benefit of doubt.  Just how it works in these parts.

Back to WR/offense weapons topic, I agree with you, and actually like this year's collective group of skill players better.  Why? Because we have a ton of versatility, and likely improving players.  I don't look at "1-1", who did we lose and replace guys with.  To me, it's a collective skill position group, that should each compliment another player.  Cook, Crowder, Shakir, and Howard collectively bring more to the table than Beas/Manny, just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Matching up is expensive.   Being effective in zone defense is a way to stay cheaper on defense.

Yeah, until you have to face elite offenses like the Bucs and Chiefs and have to cross your fingers they make mistakes. Because if they don't, their talent wins out. And then suddenly you're in a coin flip shootout. I think McDermott is over that now. Bills fans have complained throughout his tenure about his "soft zone" defense but I've never blamed him for it. The caliber of defensive talent has necessitated it. I'm expecting a very different defensive look this year. Putting the players in more one-on-one situations, playing aggressive, taking more risks at the LOS. That's how you stop the Chiefs when Mahomes is playing at his apex. Playing a game of "last one to hold the ball wins" is literally a 50/50 proposition. I couldn't be happier they went out and got players that are going to force mistakes instead of waiting for mistakes to happen.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, until you have to face elite offenses like the Bucs and Chiefs and have to cross your fingers they make mistakes. Because if they don't, their talent wins out. And then suddenly you're in a coin flip shootout. I think McDermott is over that now. Bills fans have complained throughout his tenure about his "soft zone" defense but I've never blamed him for it. The caliber of defensive talent has necessitated it. I'm expecting a very different defensive look this year. Putting the players in more one-on-one situations, playing aggressive, taking more risks at the LOS. That's how you stop the Chiefs when Mahomes is playing at his apex. Playing a game of "last one to hold the ball wins" is literally a 50/50 proposition. I couldn't be happier they went out and got players that are going to force mistakes instead of waiting for mistakes to happen.

3-0 at home in playoffs.

0-4 on the road in playoffs.......including 2 OT losses.

That's what you need to know about the Bills playing against top teams.

The 2021 Bills were on the road in the divisional round because they didn't take care of business on offense in a 5 game stretch where they lost 3 times scoring just 6 points, 10 points and 15 points.       

You think losing on the road in Arrowhead tells you something?   What about failing to score a TD in Jacksonville against the worst team in football?

If the Bills play that Chiefs game at home........they probably win by multiple scores.    But having the #1 defense in the NFL didn't get them home field advantage, did it?

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And since defense is the more difficult side of the ball to both predict and remain consistent at.

That's because the defense doesnt have a position equivalent to a QB. Elite offenses are easy to keep consistent because they revolve around one man. It doesn't really matter how the pieces around him change. As long as you have an elite QB you have an elite offense. If the 49ers kept Garrappolo around for the next decade their offense would magically lose its consistency over time too.

As long as we have Allen here I would expect us to pour more resources into defense. He needs a true #1 WR, one other really good playmaker, and a good offensive line. Those ingredients combined with a decent supporting cast will equal an elite offense for the duration of his career. And since offensive skill players will want to play with him it will never be difficult to have those ingredients. The offense is set for the next dozen years. Beane would have to really screw up for it to ever drop out of the top tier. The defense on the other hand will take constant investment to keep it at an elite level.

So when you're weighing resource allocation every offseason keep in mind that the offense already has the most heavily weighted resource by far figured out. The defense will always need more resources added to it to even that distribution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.