Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The Rams lost Bob Woods last season and still won the super bowl partly because they had 4 capable outside WRs at the time of the injury.  

If they had lost Aaron Donald or Jalen Ramsey they wouldn't have been so lucky. No team has great depth everywhere. The cap and limited draft picks means you have to accept some weak points. When you have the best QB in the league you can manage the loss of a starting outside WR better than most.

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Given the propensity of our team to not cut draft picks. I feel like Kumerow will be the cut. But his ST is a major plus. Hodgins has had a nice camp so far.

Not really what I would consider "camp" just yet though. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

With how little we tend to cut draft picks. I’m willing to bet Kumerow is on the outside looking in and will be cut if it comes down to him and Hodgins. 

Why/how would Hodgins beat out Kumerow? Kumerow plays ST, and has gotten targets on offense. What reason would anyone have to believe that Hodgins (who has already missed practice time with an injury) would be above Kumerow on the depth chart? We really haven't heard anything significant about Hodgins since he was complimented (along with Davis) for knowing the playbook in his rookie training camp. IMO, it's more likely that Hodgins is competing for a spot on the PS. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Kumerow has a better ABILITY than Hodgins... AVAIL

At the moment, I agree. But it’s going to come down to who has the better camp. There is a reason Hodgins has stuck around this long on the team. Obviously they see something in him and are just waiting for him to finally be healthy. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I think the lazy evaluation is to just assume that everything will fall into place and all ceiling reached because the Bills have Josh Allen.    That's what you are going to get from national talking heads, IMO.   What I see is a back 3-4 group that hasn't shown the ceiling to provide relief in the event of an injury to the top 2-3.    If you know the significance of the numbers, there isn't a guy who you think,   "this guy could put up a 700 yard season" if Davis or Diggs goes down for extended periods.   It's a matchup league and that's what people forget in the offseason.   Can guys like Kumerow get open against starting NFL CB's?   On an individual basis this is a low ceiling group of reserves.   Now one player could change that........but right now they are very thin on the outside, in particular.  

I don't think Kirwan and Miller are lazy.  I see your concern about outside WR depth.  I think you also add Knox and Cook to the overall passing offense equation, though.  OJ Howard is a wild card.  There are a few unknowns like Austin and Stevenson for speed...of course nobody is counting on them.

I guess my overall perception is that the passing offense as a whole looks pretty strong to me, with decent depth.  Outside WR is a concern if Diggs/Davis go down, but there are not many teams who can lose their #1 outside WR and "be fine."

It's good to acknowledge potential areas of weakness on a team projected to go all the way.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

What team has 4-5 WRs you'd be happy playing as your top 3?

I'd settle for a 3rd.

The reality is that the Bills outside WR options are:

1200 yard Diggs

550 yard Davis

28 yard Kumerow

578 yards is one of the lowest returning production 2+3 option combo's in the league.

The Bills have a very distinct set of outside and slot receivers........on an increasing amount of teams there is a 3rd or 4th option who has the size and speed traits to succeed outside but also with the quickness to have potential in the slot.

This is what the Bills clearly lack.

When you weigh that with the reality that Davis has not yet proven he can get it done for 17 games without someone picking up half the slack or more.........this is why the Bills don't have an elite WR corps any longer.    

They are, on paper, clearly lesser than they were at this point last season.    By about 700 yards of production on the outside.  

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Come on. You know better than this.

No,  I guess you will have explain to me how Beasley has not been more productive than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons?

He's literally had more catches and yards receiving than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons.   And obviously the last two.

Just how far back do you want to go back to give the oft-injured Crowder credit for still being the same player he was?  

1 season was fair.   2 seasons was decisive.

I mean if you go all the way back to 2016 he and Tavon Austin put up over 1300 combined yards!    Time in a bottle, baby! :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, wppete said:

I’m sure Beane will be making some trades during preseason, we have way too much talent on this 90 man roster to just cut players and get nothing in return. 

Yep.......Tavon Austin,  Duke Johnson and Greg Mancz to the Jets for Breece Hall and a 3rd..........who says, no?    

Amirite @IronMaidenBills?    

Or are we afraid to face Tavon twice per year? ;)

Edited by BADOLBILZ
changed 4th to a 3rd in the Hall trade.....Austin baby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd settle for a 3rd.

The reality is that the Bills outside WR options are:

1200 yard Diggs

550 yard Davis

28 yard Kumerow

578 yards is one of the lowest returning production 2+3 option combo's in the league.

The Bills have a very distinct set of outside and slot receivers........on an increasing amount of teams there is a 3rd or 4th option who has the size and speed traits to succeed outside but also with the quickness to have potential in the slot.

This is what the Bills clearly lack.

When you weigh that with the reality that Davis has not yet proven he can get it done for 17 games without someone picking up half the slack or more.........this is why the Bills don't have an elite WR corps any longer.    

They are, on paper, clearly lesser than they were at this point last season.    By about 700 yards of production on the outside.  

broo........... give it a rest ffs

It is exhausting lol

Let the season play out.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I could see Austin beating out McKenzie since they both offer similar skill sets but Austin might be a better return man. 

If he beats out McKenzie it's because McDermott can't suffer another season of Lil' Dirty's unfocused antics.

Plays_that_defined_2021___Indy_at_Buf___

18 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

broo........... give it a rest ffs

It is exhausting lol

Let the season play out.  

I hear the BBMB is taking a "let's not discuss the team" approach to message boarding........perhaps you should sign up over there.

And btw, speak when you are spoken to, broo.    It looks idiotic and weak to refuse to support your position......as you chose........ but go then jump in to complain further later in the thread.    Go away.   Never hearda ya'. :lol:  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
who is this idiot?
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Both are very good and I’d be sad to see either cut. Crowder has over performed with subpar QBs. I think we make room for both. 

I have absolutely no problem saying goodbye to ex-Jets. Then again, I wanted no part of Beasley on this team & he greatly exceeded my expectations, so I'm open to change my take if convinced otherwise on the field.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.