Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I think the lazy evaluation is to just assume that everything will fall into place and all ceiling reached because the Bills have Josh Allen.    That's what you are going to get from national talking heads, IMO.   What I see is a back 3-4 group that hasn't shown the ceiling to provide relief in the event of an injury to the top 2-3.    If you know the significance of the numbers, there isn't a guy who you think,   "this guy could put up a 700 yard season" if Davis or Diggs goes down for extended periods.   It's a matchup league and that's what people forget in the offseason.   Can guys like Kumerow get open against starting NFL CB's?   On an individual basis this is a low ceiling group of reserves.   Now one player could change that........but right now they are very thin on the outside, in particular.  

What team has 4-5 WRs you'd be happy playing as your top 3?

51 minutes ago, eball said:

SiriusXM's Kirwan and Miller (some like them, some don't) evaluated all teams' WR "rooms" over the last week or so, and they graded the Bills overall WR corps at 17 pts out of 20.  It was obviously one of the highest grades in the league.  I don't think everyone agrees with you on the depth angle.  Crowder is a legitimate NFL receiver.  McKenzie has shown his worth.  Shakir is viewed as a steal of the draft.  I think they'll be fine...and I agree with you regarding Austin.

I hate to speak for the almighty Badol the Godless, but I think he’s just talking about us lacking outside WR depth.  Right now, it looks as if we’re counting on Shakir (you had 70% of his catches from the slot) and Austin (who hasn’t done anything in years) to backup Diggs/Davis. He’s right.  We’re lacking outside WR depth.  That doesn’t mean we don’t have a very good WR unit.  A substantial injury to Diggs or Davis could end our season short of a SB if Shak can’t take the reigns.  The Rams lost Bob Woods last season and still won the super bowl partly because they had 4 capable outside WRs at the time of the injury.  

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

What a shocker. The Pessimism Twins are on the same page on this topic and BADOL is telling me I’m wrong. The more things change…

As for spending to improve the defense (even though, despite what you say, they DID also make moves to improve the offense)…Gosh, what a blunder!

I must have hallucinated the fact that the Bills offense put up 47 and 36 points in the playoffs this season, but the defense gave up 38 and 42 points to the Chiefs to get eliminated from the playoffs in consecutive years.

I’m convinced that you two will complain about the Bills’ decision making regardless. If they had invested big on offense like you wanted but not fixed the D-line, and the Bills went out and failed to produce pressure or stop the run this season, and Mahomes had all day to sit in the pocket and dissect them and send them packing again, it’s easy to guess who the very first two people on this forum to complain would be.

Lastly, BADOL, have you EVER been wrong? Like…even once? You must be on like a 40 or 50 year streak at this point. Very impressive.

Hence why he's blocked. Makes my day reading TBD much more enjoyable. Don't have to read nonsense. You should try it. 

Edited by sirebors

24 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I feel like McKenzie and Austin have enough talent to where they could fill a WR2 role if needed. They just never really had the targets to get there. McKenzie proved what he could do with a proper workload. Austin has a filthy change of direction. You can already see the distinguished appearance in his game in camp. He will feast with Allen. 

They need to be able to get off the line.  I don’t know if McKenzie can.  He needs the cushion of the slot.  His speed and quickness is negated when a corner gets his hands on him.  Austin probably has a better chance but still questionable.  Not a “good” outside backup outside option, rather a shot in the dark.  Much better slot option.  While we already have Crowder, Mckenzie and Shakir as possibly better slot options.  Shakir is probably our best option to replace Diggs or Davis atm.  

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok.......well Crowder has also missed 4 games per season on average due to injuries in those last 4 years.   He's not been durable.    Beasley, on the other hand,  has missed just 2 games to injury and (like Gabe Davis) he missed one simply because he wasn't vaxed so he wasn't eligible to play(get your facts straight on that).

It's a lot like the Rodger Saffold situation.........they traded availability risk to save money.........which they then mostly invested in giving 4 DL starting caliber contracts(Miller, Jones, Settle, Phillips).  

If you think Sanders was meh...........ok.........but his "meh" regular season was more receiving yardage than any other receiver currently on the roster had in 2021 other than Diggs.    That's the point.   They did not replace production.    Sanders actually produced more than Davis in the regular season.   Davis battled a foot injury in the first half so it turned out to be very fortuitous that they had that kind of production available.    Jake Kumerow isn't that kind of option......you are just being willfully ignorant if you can't acknowledge that.

I'm not missing the Kromer variable at all.   Big Kromer fan.   Hoping for the best.  But the flip side is that there has been a lot of turnover in the offensive coaching staff in general.   New OL coach,  new QB coach,  new OC.    I hope for the best but anyone who doesn't think they were better positioned to repeat their success with the continuity of the staff that lead their dynamic 2020 offense is living in denial.   There is an uncertainty there that didn't exist going into 2021.   I'm not a fan in general of giving a new staff a lesser investment in offense.   Which is most certainly the direction they've gone.   

ok good talk.

Lets just see what happens instead of the sky is falling mentality.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not going to pretend Austin will suddenly become the superstar he was at WVU in his age 31 season, but he appears to be more than just a camp body like many of us thought. When we signed him I said it was "shuffling cards at the bottom of the deck," now I think he is about as likely to make the roster as 3-4 other WRs. After Diggs, Davis, and Shakir I don't see any WR as stone cold roster locks. If they keep Kumerow for special teams that likely leaves McKenzie, Crowder, Austin, and Stevenson competing for 2 spots. It wouldn't be totally shocking for Austin to win one of those spots and find a niche in this offense.

I'm not sure about that, regarding McK just so I'm clear. Obviously anything can happen, but imo I feel comfortable considering McK as a "lock" myself. So if I'm correct then in this case it would leave 1 spot to compete for. Unless they decide to keep an extra....

I have a hard time seeing Austin kept over McK anyways....

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Austin has been in Buffalo for a week,  hasn't put on pads and and hasn't done anything of note in his entire 9 year NFL career.......even less since 2016......an absolute "draft bust".......but it feels different this time? :lol:

1 hour ago, eball said:

SiriusXM's Kirwan and Miller (some like them, some don't) evaluated all teams' WR "rooms" over the last week or so, and they graded the Bills overall WR corps at 17 pts out of 20.  It was obviously one of the highest grades in the league.  I don't think everyone agrees with you on the depth angle.  Crowder is a legitimate NFL receiver.  McKenzie has shown his worth.  Shakir is viewed as a steal of the draft.  I think they'll be fine...and I agree with you regarding Austin.

I think the only angst some of us have is the lack of a true WR3 outside.  For a team predicated upon throwing the ball, that seems strange.  

I'd agree though, our WR room is very good.  Diggs & Davis on the outside, with Crowder in the slot is really strong.  McKenzie is viewed as a solid player and Shakir seems to be highly regarded by league commentators. 

I'd feel much better if Tavon Austin shows out and forces us to keep 7 or (as much as it would hurt my heart) beats out McKenzie. 

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They need to be able to get off the line.  I don’t know if McKenzie can.  He needs the cushion of the slot.  His speed and quickness is negated when a corner gets his hands on him.  Austin probably has a better chance but still questionable.  Not a “good” outside backup outside option, rather a shot in the dark.  Much better slot option.  While we already have Crowder, Mckenzie and Shakir as possibly better slot options.  Shakir is probably our best option to replace Diggs or Davis atm.  

Either way, I’m already excited for Tavon to get a roster spot. Dude is darting all over the field and has raked in 4 TDs already. Allen will find his speed. 

22 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not sure about that, regarding McK just so I'm clear. Obviously anything can happen, but imo I feel comfortable considering McK as a "lock" myself. So if I'm correct then in this case it would leave 1 spot to compete for. Unless they decide to keep an extra....

I have a hard time seeing Austin kept over McK anyways....

If Austin is going to beat anyone out, it will be Crowder.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Cook and Austin have been blowing past defenders. Electric out there and a breath of fresh air. 

While I agree that does sound great, however it's somewhat to be expected this early. Will be more exciting if it continues through TC

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

While I agree that does sound great, however it's somewhat to be expected this early. Will be more exciting if it continues through TC

I always had high hopes for Austin and his 4.34 speed. For multiple reasons, he hasn’t been able to piece things together. As long as he is healthy, we offer the best growing environment possible. If he fails here, there is nothing left. From all accounts, his shiftiness has been on full display already. Really excited for this team with Cook and Austin. Good luck opposing defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You don’t think we keep 7WRs? They all likely make the team. The battle is going to come down to Shakir/Kumerow/Hodgins for 6/7. 

In that case if comes down to those 3 then I assume their ST performances will play biggest role 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You don’t think we keep 7WRs? They all likely make the team. The battle is going to come down to Shakir/Kumerow/Hodgins for 6/7. 

Could be. I just think Lil Dirty’s spot on the roster is more secure than Crowder’s is.

We have turned a 1st round talent around in Hughes. I don’t know why, but I get that total vibe from Austin. I see this as the most underrated signing of the year. Allen will find him. 

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

In that case if comes down to those 3 then I assume their ST performances will play biggest role 

Given the propensity of our team to not cut draft picks. I feel like Kumerow will be the cut. But his ST is a major plus. Hodgins has had a nice camp so far. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beasley has been more productive than Crowder in 3 of the last 4 seasons..........in the NFL it's about what you've done lately.    Crowder got a cheap deal because he's  declined the last 2 seasons.

They didn't replace Sanders..........Davis was already there..........the question is can Davis stay healthy for a season,  he has been limited for stretches by foot injuries his first two seasons.........and he also is an anti-vaxer and missed the Bills biggest regular season game last season due to Covid.........Covid will still sideline players this season.

Last season at this time Daryl Williams was coming off a tremendous season where he was a top 5 starting RT in the NFL.    He shut down TJ Watt in their matchup in 2020.    Feliciano was seen as a solid starter/tone setter and Boettger had been good as a reserve in 2020.   Bates was their cherished backup at center.  Ford hadn't totally fallen off of a cliff like he did in 2021.    On paper they looked pretty good,   it's not a notably better OL in that regard than the one that ended up as the league worst in combined sacks and pressures allowed in 2021.    They could end up being a lot better but signing a swing tackle who gave up the most sacks in the league(Quessenberry, 11) didn't really change that dynamic much.

You're comparing very different Os and QBs with Crowder and Beasley over their past 3-4 years and assigning the "decline" to Crowder vs the Jets' O as a whole--they ranked at the bottom in 2 of the last 3 years.  If anything, the stats suggest Crowder's stats will be even better playing with Allen and the Bills.

While Davis was here, it's clear that he will upgrade the #2 position with Sanders gone.  Davis and Diggs will be > Sanders and Diggs from last year.  As for covid, having the vaccine does not prevent you from getting it, so that's not really a meaningful argument for this year...

As I stated in (..) outside of the O-line, the O is better than last year, so I am not disagreeing with you there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.