Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, BTB said:

I’m not saying Von Miller has to play 100% of the snaps, but if he is getting in the same ballpark of snaps as AJE and the other DE’s, McD and Frazier are idiots.  You don’t pay a difference maker huge $$$ to just be part of a JAG rotation. 

And you don’t pay a 33 year old difference maker all that money just to watch him sit on the sideline injured.  There are great reasons why he’ll be part of the rotation.  I fully expect Rousseau to out snap miller during the season and for Miller to play similar snaps to what Basham plays this season. Likely a bit higher % but I wouldn’t expect much more.  AJ is a different story.  We have no idea wth this guy is going to be this year.  

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, BTB said:

I’m not saying Von Miller has to play 100% of the snaps, but if he is getting in the same ballpark of snaps as AJE and the other DE’s, McD and Frazier are idiots.  You don’t pay a difference maker huge $$$ to just be part of a JAG rotation.

He'll probably play around the same number of snaps as Rousseau and Ed.  While Lawson, Phillips, AJE, Basham, and Settle all see around the same number.

I'd imagine the coaches and players don't care who's on the field as long as they're winning games. They understand their roles on the team and signed on to do whatever it takes to win a Superbowl. It's not about some divas crying to get more targets or play more snaps to higher higher sack numbers.  It's about putting all the other BS aside and putting your focus on a bigger prize. One that can only be obtained with the help of so many others. 

27 minutes ago, BTB said:

I think he'll have more snaps than every DE, except maybe Rousseau.   I think it will be under 60%.   

McDermott uses the rotation for multiple reasons, and it works well for him.  

I expect Miller will be a normal rotation for three quarters.  In the fourth quarter, if they need him, he'll be on the field a lot.  If they don't need him, he will be rested.  

The guy is older than most guys on the dline, and they want him in good shape for the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BTB said:

I think you'll see Von Miller out there about 60%-65% of the time.   That's about where Ed Oliver was going to be if it wasn't for our several blowouts and came out early.  Von Miller knows Buffalo runs a DL rotation and chose to sign here.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And you don’t pay a 33 year old difference maker all that money just to watch him sit on the sideline injured.  There are great reasons why he’ll be part of the rotation.  I fully expect Rousseau to out snap miller during the season and for Miller to play similar snaps to what Basham plays this season. Likely a bit higher % but I wouldn’t expect much more.  AJ is a different story.  We have no idea wth this guy is going to be this year.  

Yup, and I believe this likely could be his last chance. It's now or never basically for him this season imo. So I hope he can get it done.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hermes said:

He'll probably play around the same number of snaps as Rousseau and Ed.  While Lawson, Phillips, AJE, Basham, and Settle all see around the same number.

I'd imagine the coaches and players don't care who's on the field as long as they're winning games. They understand their roles on the team and signed on to do whatever it takes to win a Superbowl. It's not about some divas crying to get more targets or play more snaps to higher higher sack numbers.  It's about putting all the other BS aside and putting your focus on a bigger prize. One that can only be obtained with the help of so many others. 

Right.   I think we fail to understand fully the importance of the team concept.   A truly integrated team approach, with every guy doing his job, yields better results than individual performances, even when you have a lot of really good individuals.  The team approach makes your weakest guys better, so there are no weaknesses to attack.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, thenorthremembers said:

It's crazy how fast the offseason goes nowadays.   I dont know if its my age, or a change in the way the NFL does things but I can remember waiting with very little patience for the season to start, but it seems like the gap between February and September is a lot shorter now.

Your old, 

• Haha (+1) 1

Von has never played less than 76% of the snaps on defense. Just last year with the Rams he was on the field 79% of the time. When asked earlier about rotation, Von said he’s for it, but doesn’t want to be off the field for more than a couple plays here or there. He said he can’t make an impact from the sideline. Interested to see how this goes down. He also needs to play the majority of his snaps from the left side as that’s where he’s been most effective throughout his career. Rams actually tried to play him on the right when he first got there, but by the end of the season it was almost 100% on the left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

His old what?

Perception of time…, at least that’s what I’m thinking, 😂

2 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The grammatically-challenged will have no idea what you did there.

Are you saying I’m challenged 😂

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BTB said:

If he is needed to take a lot of snaps in a particular game early in the season I'm sure he will.

In the long run his greatest impact will be from December until February, and that is fine with me.

He's getting up in age and has a long contract.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BTB said:

At his age it’s also about keeping him fresh for January football. Playing him 85% of the snaps all year like he’s used to just isn’t good for him or the team.

That being said it sounds like in the 4th quarter of close games and in the playoffs he’ll playing way more than any Bills DE has recently. He’ll probably also see a lot of extra snaps against the Rams, Chiefs, Packers, and Bengals in the regular season.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Frazier saying the Bills will continue to utilize a DL rotation does not mean Von Miller won't be on the field at the biggest and most important moments.

And, when  those snaps come through will be important - you know Von will have opportunities to make impacts early in the game, in red zone situations, and in critical times (2 minutes to half, 4th quarter in close games).  Do I think he plays on every 1st and 10?  No.  Does he play 65% of snaps this year and 85%+ in "critical" situations?  I think so

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he'll have more snaps than every DE, except maybe Rousseau.   I think it will be under 60%.   

McDermott uses the rotation for multiple reasons, and it works well for him.  

I expect Miller will be a normal rotation for three quarters.  In the fourth quarter, if they need him, he'll be on the field a lot.  If they don't need him, he will be rested.  

The guy is older than most guys on the dline, and they want him in good shape for the playoffs.  

Agree. The main thing for Miller, fresh for the play-offs where he’ll play as much as needed. They’ll be smart with him through the regular season, with the goal of playing him one more down than he is needed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.