Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't disagree with the bolded because all they risked was about $7M signing Poyer...........but if he had signed a 1 year deal for the then-league-minimum $660K anywhere who bats an eye?  

Nobody.

Instead he got $6M guaranteed from the Bills.

When the Bills signed Star Lotulelei I thought he warranted a 1 year $4M deal.........sorta' like the one Daquan Jones got with Carolina last year..........and the Bills instead gave him 5 years, $50M and $25M guaranteed.      They grossly overpaid Star at 2.5 times a reasonable aav and gave him 5 years.....but by the same token Poyer basically got 5 times league minimum as his aav and got 4 years.

So "how much" Poyer was overpaid is a matter of perspective.

Completely agree with second paragraph.

I'd also add that I support his right to hold out.

If he wants to use whatever leverage he has........so be it.

I just wouldn't extend him right now and am not pained by his perceived plight.    He's not a young player and they already have one old safety on a multi-year with Micah Hyde.   If Poyer has another excellent year,  his relative value as a 32 year old at a non-premium position still decreases IMO.   It's not in the Bills best interest to extend him at the moment, IMO.

I don’t know if I would agree that it’s not in the Bills best interest to extend Poyer. Depends on the price. Reality is they can’t keep Poyer, Edmunds, and Oliver. 

We have not heard any rumblings of a deal for Edmunds. I feel like at the end of the day Edmunds walks and Poyer is extended. Oliver is locked in for 2 years although he could sign now. 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

They won’t say, though they are asked in every media session . Beane said recently he doesn’t want to put a date on it but hopeful he’s ready to start the season 

It’s easy to be “on schedule” when there are no actual target dates. 😂 Those are the kinds of deadlines that I want at my job.

My guess is that the Bills will offer a very similar deal to Poyer as what Mathieu received and he'll sign.

safeties can play at higher levels than DB's for longer periods of their careers, I think Poyer has another 3 years of high level football in him, which would most likely coincide with what the guaranteed money that they will offer him frontloading the first 2 years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know if I would agree that it’s not in the Bills best interest to extend Poyer. Depends on the price. Reality is they can’t keep Poyer, Edmunds, and Oliver. 

We have not heard any rumblings of a deal for Edmunds. I feel like at the end of the day Edmunds walks and Poyer is extended. Oliver is locked in for 2 years although he could sign now. 

I think Poyer is clearly last on that last in priority.  Edmunds is still a young player, just entering his prime years.  I do not see the Bills handing him top of the market money, but I do believe they want to keep him and will offer him a pretty fair deal.  He is a five year starter, defensive captain, and defensive signal caller and despite Bills fan disappointments for various reasons, he is one of the better LBs in the league.  He would not be easily replaced at all.

Poyer on the other hand is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.  This is a position they should be targeting to be younger and cheaper.  If he sticks his feet in the ground on top of the market money and term, he will need to find it elsewhere.  Whether he has been or is underpaid still is totally beside the point.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, wppete said:

Yeah pretty exciting to hear. A lot of reports that he is looking really good out there so far. Could be big for us if he secures the swing tackle and also can play inside if injuries happen. Great to hear so far, I’m a Tommy Doyle fan. 

Absolutely! I like him more than most. There some interesting upside there for a guy that big with his athletic testing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's just internet physics at play here, dictating that any post criticizing someone else's logic, grammar, or math shall ITSELF contain such an error in logic, grammar, or (in this case) "math." Unless I'm wrong, I count 64 starting safeties in the NFL. 32 teams X 2 starting safeties per team. When coming in hot, best also come correct. 

(Your point was not nearly as flawed as others have characterized, for the record.) 

It's actually a new TSW technique I have been working on to disarm bickering idiots........I call it "sub-illumination".........it's where you understate a convincing fact for effect.

The impact on the lizard brain of the bickering idiot seems significant.

Where they normally would just ignore logic and facts because they aren't on their side.......they are instead compelled to point out that my factoid is incorrect.........but in the process they have to acknowledge and strengthen my point to do so.

And they don't want to do that.

I've tried it 4-5 times this offseason and I've never found a better way to dismiss a BI.  

So the next time you see me state that the Bills scored 9 points against Jacksonville,  you will know why.   

And thank you for saying that my point wasn't "nearly as flawed"..........but it's not flawed at all...........contracts work the way they work in the NFL.   Like line play,  it's about how much leverage you have.    It's not a personal matter for me.   Like I said,  if Poyer wants to hold out I don't begrudge him.   If the Bills insist on not re-doing his deal or extending him........I think there is plenty of merit for such a decision.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, vincec said:

It’s easy to be “on schedule” when there are no actual target dates. 😂 Those are the kinds of deadlines that I want at my job.

They have a target date… they just aren’t saying what that is. We can assume it is 9 months minimum from his surgery, which puts it around mid September at the earliest. But every athlete is different 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Ralonzo said:

So his holiness the Puntiff is wearing #3?

I looked at the roster, still haack.😀

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have a target date… they just aren’t saying what that it. We can assume it is 9 months minimum from his surgery, which puts it around mid September at the earliest. But every athlete is different 

and putting a date on it helps no one.

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I looked at the roster, still haack.😀

I was hoping it wasn’t him still hodling. Was 19 or something? Edited but you’re too fast.

Edited by Ralonzo

On 5/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, BTB said:

Players under contract who choose to skip voluntary workouts just because they have not received a new contract of their liking, can go pound salt. 

I’m looking at you Poyer. 

I don't necessarily disagree with your point.

I'm in the camp that players should honor the contracts that they signed.

However with Diggs being signed to a new deal with 2 years left on his deal, it could have set a dangerous precedent.

Are we now completely surprised that now players in in the last year of their deal or with 1 year left on their deal now also want new deals ?

For those that think contracts don't matter, let me say it does.

Signing a player to a new deal with 1 or less years on their deal could have salary cap implications in that we may have to cut a player to fit in the new deal

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your point.

I'm in the camp that players should honor the contracts that they signed.

However with Diggs being signed to a new deal with 2 years left on his deal, it could have set a dangerous precedent.

Are we now completely surprised that now players in in the last year of their deal or with 1 year left on their deal now also want new deals ?

For those that think contracts don't matter, let me say it does.

Signing a player to a new deal with 1 or less years on their deal could have salary cap implications in that we may have to cut a player to fit in the new deal

Can we please dispense with this notion that Poyer has in some way not honored his contract? It is simply not the case. Voluntary workouts are voluntary. He is not contractually obligated to be there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:21 PM, Magox said:

My guess is that the Bills will offer a very similar deal to Poyer as what Mathieu received and he'll sign.

safeties can play at higher levels than DB's for longer periods of their careers, I think Poyer has another 3 years of high level football in him, which would most likely coincide with what the guaranteed money that they will offer him frontloading the first 2 years.

Poyer and Hyde couldn't keep up with the speed of Kelce and Hill

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:19 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills don’t owe him anything for outperforming his contract. Just the way it is. He’ll get a deal based on the market.

Just looking at safety deals a little closer the Smith deal actually isn’t as crazy as it sounds.  13th highest guaranteed money. The signing bonus and guaranteed money is actually pretty reasonable. Mathieu got more guaranteed.

Look at the “signed age” for the top deals.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/safety/

I think the Honeybadger deal would be the marker. I think 9 mil. per is ok. I would think a 2 yr. deal with the 1st being mostly a signing bonus, On the other hand, Ed Reed said Joquain (sp?) Johnson would be a pro bowler for years, so there's that.

I just think this is not the year to break up the safety tandem.

19 hours ago, nosejob said:

I think the Honeybadger deal would be the marker. I think 9 mil. per is ok. I would think a 2 yr. deal with the 1st being mostly a signing bonus, On the other hand, Ed Reed said Joquain (sp?) Johnson would be a pro bowler for years, so there's that.

I just think this is not the year to break up the safety tandem.

Johnson is supposed to be really smart and makes good decision, but lacks measurables and athleticism.  I think that puts a cap on his upside.  The Bills have another couple of young guys: Damar Hamlin and Josh Thomas who are good athletes with more size than Johnson.  The question to which we lack the answer is whether or not they have the mental makeup to eventually start.  If they do, Their upside might be higher than Johnson's

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.