Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He did it to Tre White as well. Guy can ball.

My favorite part of that is the laughing. They are competing at the highest level, but they are also having fun. Not every team has that same culture, and I love it! 

Get well Tre! 

• Like (+1) 5

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 2017 when the Bills shockingly gave him starting safety money........similar to what an actual in-demand free agent named Micah Hyde got from the Bills........despite Poyer being an injury prone journeyman who had just missed 10 games the prior year.............were you angry at Poyer for getting too much money?  

Of course you weren't..........the team offered it so he took it whether he had deserved it or not. 

That's the way it goes with contracts.   

Sometimes players get money in free agency that they didn't earn.........and sometimes they earn money that they don't get because they've signed away leverage in exchange for security and guaranteed dough in real time.

Now if Poyer were both younger and played a premium position maybe he'd have more leverage...........but he's not and he doesn't.    

You literally just made this up. Like there should be a message board rule where if you take such a hard stance on things that most certainly did not happen then you have to reach out to everybody who positively engaged with your post and say:

" @Chandler#81@clayboy54 @Dr. Who @Rochesterfan @billsfan1959, I see you engaged with my post regarding an opinion I made about a fact I most certainly just made up off the top of my head. It isn't true, and I did not bother googling first. The entire premise of my argument is now flawed. And to @StHustle, I apologize for coming at you so hard. Asking you why you weren't vocal about a completely flawed premise from the start. And to the TBD community, I vow to do better and to limit my incorrect opinions to hot takes that don't ascribe to any blatantly false premises like the rest of the TBD community"

I think only time can heal this wound....

Here are Poyers career cap numbers, ranking among his peers, and his money compared to the highest paid S in the league. 

image.thumb.png.9e42c042dc904df46952bd54c08d00ea.png

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/2021/ 

Edited by Mango
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

You literally just made this up. Like there should be a message board rule where if you take such a hard stance on things that most certainly did not happen then you have to reach out to everybody who positively engaged with your post and say:

I think only time can heal this wound....

Here are Poyers career cap numbers, ranking among his peers, and his money compared to the highest paid S in the league. 

image.thumb.png.9e42c042dc904df46952bd54c08d00ea.png

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/2021/ 

Here are the best available safeties going into free agency in 2017 per NFL.com:

Safeties

Dashon Goldson, Atlanta Falcons
Matt Elam, Baltimore Ravens
Kendrick Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
James Ihedigbo, Buffalo Bills
Robert Blanton, Buffalo Bills
Phillip Thomas, Buffalo Bills
Aaron Williams, Buffalo Bills
Michael Griffin, Carolina Panthers
Rafael Bush, Detroit Lions
Don Jones, Houston Texans
Duke Williams, Indianapolis Colts
T.J. McDonald, Los Angeles Rams
Michael Thomas, Miami Dolphins
Jairus Byrd, New Orleans Saints
Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints
Jamarca Sanford, New Orleans Saints
Shamarko Thomas, Pittsburgh Steelers
Jeron Johnson, Seattle Seahawks
Kelcie McCray, Seattle Seahawks
Daimion Stafford, Tennessee Titans
Rashad Johnson, Tennessee Titans
Donte Whitner, Washington Redskins
Duke Ihenacho, Washington Redskins

Do you even see Jordan Poyer on that inauspicious list?    

He was seen as a scrub not even worth noting on a list that had Robert Blanton on it, for chrissakes.

And it wasn't just the people looking from 10,000 feet.........Jordan Poyer was the 69th ranked safety when he actually played(only 6 games healthy) in 2016 per PFF.

He was seen as just a league minimum, non-starting quality,  compete for a roster spot kinda' player.

The Bills gave him starters money.......there are 60 starting safeties in the NFL........do the math.     And a 4 year contract to boot!

Basically........just STFU. :lol:

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here are the best available safeties going into free agency in 2017 per NFL.com:

Safeties

Dashon Goldson, Atlanta Falcons
Matt Elam, Baltimore Ravens
Kendrick Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
James Ihedigbo, Buffalo Bills
Robert Blanton, Buffalo Bills
Phillip Thomas, Buffalo Bills
Aaron Williams, Buffalo Bills
Michael Griffin, Carolina Panthers
Rafael Bush, Detroit Lions
Don Jones, Houston Texans
Duke Williams, Indianapolis Colts
T.J. McDonald, Los Angeles Rams
Michael Thomas, Miami Dolphins
Jairus Byrd, New Orleans Saints
Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints
Jamarca Sanford, New Orleans Saints
Shamarko Thomas, Pittsburgh Steelers
Jeron Johnson, Seattle Seahawks
Kelcie McCray, Seattle Seahawks
Daimion Stafford, Tennessee Titans
Rashad Johnson, Tennessee Titans
Donte Whitner, Washington Redskins
Duke Ihenacho, Washington Redskins

Do you even see Jordan Poyer on that inauspicious list?    

He was seen as a scrub not even worth noting on a list that had Robert Blanton on it, for chrissakes.

And it wasn't just the people looking from 10,000 feet.........Jordan Poyer was the 69th ranked safety when he actually played(only 6 games healthy) in 2016 per PFF.

He was seen as just a league minimum, non-starting quality,  compete for a roster spot kinda' player.

The Bills gave him starters money.......there are 60 starting safeties in the NFL........do the math.     And a 4 year contract to boot!

Basically........just STFU. :lol:

Don’t move the goal posts. Your take was based on Poyer being over paid and some outrage from people in 2017. 

I’ll save you the leg work. I’ll put the link to his FA signing thread below so you can refresh. Most of the thread is about him being a good athlete and most likely a backup signing. Not a single response saying his contract is too high. NOT.ONE.

There are quite literally two comments about his contract. The thread is archived so I can’t directly quote but they are:

”$3.25M isn’t starter money…”

- @JM57

“Looks like a decent contract”

- @wppete

Poyer has outplayed his contract with Buffalo and you fabricated some history. Full stop. 

You quite literally made something up. Take the L and go work on penning your apology letter to the board.

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

Don’t move the goal posts. Your take was based on Poyer being over paid and some outrage from people in 2017. 

I’ll save you the leg work. I’ll put the link to his FA signing thread below so you can refresh. Most of the thread is about him being a good athlete and most likely a backup signing. Not a single response saying his contract is too high. NOT.ONE.

There are quite literally two comments about his contract. The thread is archived so I can’t directly quote but they are:

”$3.25M isn’t starter money…”

- @JM57

“Looks like a decent contract”

- @wppete

Poyer has outplayed his contract with Buffalo and you fabricated some history. Full stop. 

You quite literally made something up. Take the L and go work on penning your apology letter to the board.

Oh some Bills fans claimed Poyer was a good signing?   On a fan site full of homer's who had no idea who he was until they read that the Bills signed him?   You don't say!

You literally listed his cap number as 45th among safeties in the first year and then in the 20's for safeties during that first contract.............there are 60 starting safeties in the NFL............get better at math or get better at S'ing TFU.   :lol:

And let me add the following from that thread.......

@christrapasso

As @JoeBanner13 & others have said, I'm not sure who #Bills were competing w/ re: J.Poyer's contract. But APY-wise, he's 41st-highest paid S

-@YoloinOhio

Here's a tip.........when a former GM says "I'm not sure who (team) were competing with" that means the amount given was really surprising..........and yeah $6M gtd to a guy who was considered an afterthought on the market was surprising.

So yeah, you were lying about the comments in addition to not being able to figure out how many starting safeties there are in the NFL.

The larger question is why some people have personal worry about what the wealthy Poyer is earning?

As I said, were you mad at him for taking an unexpected $6M gtd payday from the Bills when he hadn't done anything to that point and couldn't stay healthy and was battling alcoholism?

If not then why are you feeling unnecessary pain over him not being paid like an All Pro now?   He took the juicy guarantee up front and got the security..........I'm sure the Bills would have done a league minimum 1 year deal if he had wanted.    But he took the signing bonus plan!

72512581.jpg

Edited by BADOLBILZ
just to throw some more tajin on the sliced and diced Mango

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh some Bills fans claimed Poyer was a great signing?   On a fan site full of homer's who had no idea who he was until they read that the Bills signed him?   You don't say!

You literally listed his cap number as 45th among safeties in the first year and then in the 20's for safeties during that first contract.............there are 60 starting safeties in the NFL............get better at math or get better at S'ing TFU.   :lol:

Poyer was overpaid by the Bills but not by much. Kind of reminds me of Bates this year. Bates a career backup that the Bears thought would be a starter so they gave him low end OG starter money.

The Bills viewed Poyer as a starting safety for them so they gave him low end starting safety money. He outplayed the contract and received a raise 2 years later. He outplayed that raise. Now entering the final year of the deal he has one last major contract in his career. He wants top 5 safety money. I don’t think he’ll get it because of his age. He wants that Harrison Smith deal, it’s not happening here or as a UFA. The Mathieu deal should be eye opening for him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer was overpaid by the Bills but not by much. Kind of reminds me of Bates this year. Bates a career backup that the Bears thought would be a starter so they gave him low end OG starter money.

The Bills viewed Poyer as a starting safety for them so they gave him low end starting safety money. He outplayed the contract and received a raise 2 years later. He outplayed that raise. Now entering the final year of the deal he has one last major contract in his career. He wants top 5 safety money. I don’t think he’ll get it because of his age. He wants that Harrison Smith deal, it’s not happening here or as a UFA. The Mathieu deal should be eye opening for him. 

This is a good take. 

I am not sure he wants top 5 money. But I do think he wants some consistency in being paid to his performance. He’s been underpaid every day he’s worn a Bills jersey, and he’s been a top 10 paid safety just twice. 2020 when he signed his extension and this current year. If he gets something similar to Mathieu, I think he stays honestly. Comparatively Poyer has made $30M career to date compared to Honey Badgers $73M. They aren’t the same guy, but I am sure Poyer looks at his peers and things “man, where’d I miss out?”

Outside of Josh on a rookie deal, Poyer has probably been the most financially under valued player on the team. In that respect I’d love to see him finally get his pay day and retire a Bill.

But football is a business...  

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is a good take. 

I am not sure he wants top 5 money. But I do think he wants some consistency in being paid to his performance. He’s been underpaid every day he’s worn a Bills jersey, and he’s been a top 10 paid safety just twice. 2020 when he signed his extension and this current year. If he gets something similar to Mathieu, I think he stays honestly. Comparatively Poyer has made $30M career to date compared to Honey Badgers $73M. They aren’t the same guy, but I am sure Poyer looks at his peers and things “man, where’d I miss out?”

Outside of Josh on a rookie deal, Poyer has probably been the most financially under valued player on the team. In that respect I’d love to see him finally get his pay day and retire a Bill.

But football is a business...  

Bills don’t owe him anything for outperforming his contract. Just the way it is. He’ll get a deal based on the market.

Just looking at safety deals a little closer the Smith deal actually isn’t as crazy as it sounds.  13th highest guaranteed money. The signing bonus and guaranteed money is actually pretty reasonable. Mathieu got more guaranteed.

Look at the “signed age” for the top deals.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/safety/

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't disagree with the bolded because all they risked was about $7M signing Poyer...........but if he had signed a 1 year deal for the then-league-minimum $660K anywhere who bats an eye?  

Nobody.

Instead he got $6M guaranteed from the Bills.

When the Bills signed Star Lotulelei I thought he warranted a 1 year $4M deal.........sorta' like the one Daquan Jones got with Carolina last year..........and the Bills instead gave him 5 years, $50M and $25M guaranteed.      They grossly overpaid Star at 2.5 times a reasonable aav and gave him 5 years.....but by the same token Poyer basically got 5 times league minimum as his aav and got 4 years.

So "how much" Poyer was overpaid is a matter of perspective.

Completely agree with second paragraph.

I'd also add that I support his right to hold out.

If he wants to use whatever leverage he has........so be it.

I just wouldn't extend him right now and am not pained by his perceived plight.    He's not a young player and they already have one old safety on a multi-year with Micah Hyde.   If Poyer has another excellent year,  his relative value as a 32 year old at a non-premium position still decreases IMO.   It's not in the Bills best interest to extend him at the moment, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's just internet physics at play here, dictating that any post criticizing someone else's logic, grammar, or math shall ITSELF contain such an error in logic, grammar, or (in this case) "math." Unless I'm wrong, I count 64 starting safeties in the NFL. 32 teams X 2 starting safeties per team. When coming in hot, best also come correct. 

(Your point was not nearly as flawed as others have characterized, for the record.) 

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.