Ex - Bronco Brendan Langley in airport brawl

stuvian

17 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Remember in the 90's United's slogan was "Fly The Friendly Skies"? They don't look so friendly to me anymore. Their new slogan could be "Fly The Friendly Skies with United... Or We'll Kick Your A**"! 😃

Ahh yes, brings back memories of the ending of every NFL Sunday.....

Rhapsody in Blue being blasted in the background.....voiceover....."A promotional fee has been paid to NBC, by United Airlines. You're not just flying, you're flying the friendly skies."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

If you're gonna hit someone first better put them down. At least keep your hands up after and protect yourself.  This guy didn't have a dad who laced up the boxing gloves in the backyard with him. 

I have never met one person who did.

17 hours ago, wppete said:

The airline is a big boy but lesson here is don’t mess with professional athletes especially in violent combat sports like football… And he was a CB imagine if he messed with a LB or DL? 

Actually, I have always been amazed over the course of my entire life at how many incidents like this break out (usually in bars) and how the big, strong, NFL player gets beaten up pretty badly.

Being big and strong doesn't always equate to knowing how to fight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The employee 'engaged' the irate customer, instead of diffusing the situation. Right, or wrong, I bet that he gets fired.

He was fired. See my post from page 1 here:

• Like (+1) 1

I have a feeling this was a battle of wills between two jerk personalities. 

The airline employee needed to de-escalate that situation as best he could, not escalate it. 

De-escalation skills aren't taught enough in customer service. The best people at that game are your bar/club bouncers.  They are better than most police officers because they do it so often, that the fight/flight response you feel viscerally when threatened has been honed where they can control it.  You don't lose your man card by doing it. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am no boxing expert. But the Muhammad Ali hands down, bobbing style doesn’t appear to be the most effective self-defense strategy. 

Even Mr. Miyagi is going to be blocking those punches. 

It worked for Sweet Pea Whitaker!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Remember in the 90's United's slogan was "Fly The Friendly Skies"? They don't look so friendly to me anymore. Their new slogan could be "Fly The Friendly Skies with United... Or We'll Kick Your A**"! 😃

That advertising slogan is from the mid 60's.  That was back when people actually dressed to fly.  ALL the employees who worked then are now retired with a small fraction of the retirement that they earned/were promised, thanks to Unted's faux bankruptcy.   Now the US tax payers pay them thru PBGC, just like the steel workers and auto workers.  PBGC is propped up by the government, because it loses 10's of billions $, each year.

i would be interested to know IF the employee was actually a United employee, or a low pay, untrained, no benefit contract worker?   Seems that whenever United, or most airlines, have an incident, the "employees" involved, don't really work for the carrier.  The airlines take the bad PR to save a few $$.  IF the airlines had their way, they would have their names on the tickets, the advertising, and the airplanes, and EVERYONE would be a contract worker.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Marv's Neighbor said:

That advertising slogan is from the mid 60's.  That was back when people actually dressed to fly.  ALL the employees who worked then are now retired with a small fraction of the retirement that they earned/were promised, thanks to Unted's faux bankruptcy.   Now the US tax payers pay them thru PBGC, just like the steel workers and auto workers.  PBGC is propped up by the government, because it loses 10's of billions $, each year.

i would be interested to know IF the employee was actually a United employee, or a low pay, untrained, no benefit contract worker?   Seems that whenever United, or most airlines, have an incident, the "employees" involved, don't really work for the carrier.  The airlines take the bad PR to save a few $$.  IF the airlines had their way, they would have their names on the tickets, the advertising, and the airplanes, and EVERYONE would be a contract worker.

He wasn't.   Subsidiary employee from what I read.  They fired him too.

United Ground Express, contractor?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-nfl-player-brendan-langley-arrested-united-worker-fired-brawl-n-rcna30256

Langley was using a wheelchair to move his luggage.   What a creep. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

First of all I must have missed where the race card was used. Roll your eyes at yourself for assuming. Secondly, so who wins the fight determines who gets arrested? He clearly willingly engaged in battle. Getting your ass whooped doesn't stop you from getting arrested. Langley clearly stopped and the airline worker advanced and engaged him again striking him in the face. That was not self defense at that point.

What does that matter? Once you square up, you're fair game. It's actually stupid to wait until your opponent swings first. Once you square up you're agreeing to fight and therefore I can defend myself regardless if you swing first or not. Im going to always try to get the first swing and hit in once it's evident a person is squaring up to fight. 

Agree with all of this.....the airline worker took an aggressive stance with the athlete and STRUCK HIM......the customer.   The whole comment about the race card is still bothering me and it bothers me that we have a idiotic few on this board that would actually bring that out based on what is actually on the video.   Shows we have some racist folk on this board with us (yes I said it)

You want to charge neither of them fine....you want to charge both of them fine.......but just because one of them epically lost should not decide who goes to jail.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

My wife worked for US Airways. She explained it to me this way. 

• Every time you fly, chances are you're paying the most anyone has ever paid for a ticket. But you have to go, so you deal.
  • You are given the 3rd degree by a TSA agent who is rude to you because after the 10,000th time explaining, one can't be courteous. 
  • To make sure you don't miss the flight, you showed up 2 hours early. Now the flight is delayed so you're bored and irritated. 
  • Post Covid, almost all delays are because of manpower. The ground crew cleaning the plane you're waiting for has to do twice as much work for same pay because a large portion quit during covid. The pay is usually around minimum wage because now airlines bid for contracts with airports, so they allocate the absolute minimum. And the kicker is they've found that they can still function with an overworked bare bones staff so instead of it being temporary, it's the new "streamlined business model" for increased profits. They might get complaints but what are you gonna do? Drive to FL?

So the customers are stressed, the employees are stressed, and surrounded by security officers who don't joke around because there are literally signs telling you not to. You're in sky jail. It's no wonder there are so many incidents. Pile on top of that people who are nervous fliers, babies, mask mandates, and emotional support ostriches, it's so easy to revert to fight or flight mode. Not an excuse, just an attempt at an explanation. 

But I have to wonder what was going through their heads. They're at the ticket counter. He hasn't got any baggage near him in the video. He hasn't been through security yet. And the moment you square up on an employee before you hope to utilize their services is an interesting logic. Like sucker punching your cab driver and then telling them "Take me to Applebees!" Probably not going to get there. The employee is the worse of the two. He can call security. He doesn't have to dirty his hands at all. Yet goes the extra sky mile and love taps this guy in much better shape than him. Both will learn that when you're at an airport, you can be charged in federal court. 

Blessings to your wife!!  My wife retired from United, after 15 yrs.  She worked in Grief counseling, at the counter.

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

First of all I must have missed where the race card was used. Roll your eyes at yourself for assuming. Secondly, so who wins the fight determines who gets arrested? He clearly willingly engaged in battle. Getting your ass whooped doesn't stop you from getting arrested. Langley clearly stopped and the airline worker advanced and engaged him again striking him in the face. That was not self defense at that point.

What does that matter? Once you square up, you're fair game. It's actually stupid to wait until your opponent swings first. Once you square up you're agreeing to fight and therefore I can defend myself regardless if you swing first or not. Im going to always try to get the first swing and hit in once it's evident a person is squaring up to fight. 

My post was a direct response to other poster using race card as to why he was arrested.

I don't disagree about being waiting for a guy to swing first, but that's the way the law has always been handled. If you swing first, you're going to get arrested, the other guy got physical but he never swung. Even if he was arrested it wouldn't be the same charge.

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

No the act of squaring up does not make it fair game to swing away.  You're making up your own rules here.  And then trying to justify them.  

But can't you see with your logic you would be encouraging/promoting more fighting - and that's not really the what society is going for here.  You would want to be the one throwing the first punch because it increases your odds of winning.

So in conclusion, no squaring up does not mean you are agreeing to fight, no you don't get to hit someone who has squared up because you consider it self defense, and no you shouldn't always try to get in the first punch.

44 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You want to charge neither of them fine....you want to charge both of them fine.......but just because one of them epically lost should not decide who goes to jail.

Seems like you are assuming they arrested him because he was the winner of the fight.

Maybe they're arrested him in part because he is a jackwagon.  Looks like he took a wheel chair, instead of paying the $5.  Not a leap of faith to believe this stellar citizen threw the first punch, and then was excessive in his beatdown of the dorky airline guy.  And you assume that those events were the end of the jackwagons behavior - I wouldn't bet on it, I can imagine he was a peach when the cops came in.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No the act of squaring up does not make it fair game to swing away.  You're making up your own rules here.  And then trying to justify them.  

But can't you see with your logic you would be encouraging/promoting more fighting - and that's not really the what society is going for here.  You would want to be the one throwing the first punch because it increases your odds of winning.

So in conclusion, no squaring up does not mean you are agreeing to fight, no you don't get to hit someone who has squared up because you consider it self defense, and no you shouldn't always try to get in the first punch.

There is such a thing as "mutual combat" and has been used as a defense.  

21 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Seems like you are assuming they arrested him because he was the winner of the fight.

Maybe they're arrested him in part because he is a jackwagon.  Looks like he took a wheel chair, instead of paying the $5.  Not a leap of faith to believe this stellar citizen threw the first punch, and then was excessive in his beatdown of the dorky airline guy.  And you assume that those events were the end of the jackwagons behavior - I wouldn't bet on it, I can imagine he was a peach when the cops came in.

So your assuming it on evidence you dont have other then not giving 5 dollars for a wheelchair

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Where in that video do you draw that conclusion

There is a longer video where it is clear Langley started it. I looked for more because it was clear this was edited for an effect 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1