Rethinking the Triplets

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

The 2022 version of a triplet is QB, WR, Pass Rusher.

Allen

Diggs

Von Biller

We good

Exactly - you could say that the 90's Bills were Kelly, Reed, Thurman and Smith - I like our chances with Allen, Diggs, Cook and Miller.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

QB, LT, WR seems like the modern day Trifecta 

Only if you have a right handed QB. These days, a team has to have 6-7 decent DBs just to match up every week. CB hasn’t weakened as much as MORE is now required. We’ve seen many high priced, great CBs recently get cut/traded for the $$ saved to upgrade the rest of necessary cover guts.

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Josh Allen - Stephon Diggs - James Cook 

….AND, in a special guest appearance playing the roll of Bruce Smith……Von Miller! 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think if you’re sticking to the offensive side of the ball, it might be Qb-Wr-Te

of some of the recent super bowl teams:

Brady-Gronk-welker (or whichever other good pats receiver at the time)

Brady-Gronk-Evans (or Godwin)

Mahomes-Kelce-Hill

Garropolo-Kittle-Deebo (Although  Garropolo is nowhere near elite)

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

In the 90s, there was a lot of talk about "Triplets."  Obviously, a team wants strength at every position.  But given the reality of the salary cap, that isn't possible.  So, in the 90s, GMs seemed to focus on these three positions: QB, RB, and WR.  If you were strong there, you'd score a lot of points and win a lot of games.  

All the great teams from the 90s had strong triplets:

Bills:                      Kelly/Thomas/Reed

Cowboys:             Aikman/Smith/Irvin

49ers:                   Young/Waters/Rice

Rams:                   Warner/Faulk/Bruce

Broncos:              Elway/Davis/Smith

All five of these legendary triplets got to the Super Bowl.  Four of five hoisted the Lombardi.  Sadly, we all know which one didn't.

But football has evolved since then.  Passing is seen as the key and the importance of the running game has diminished.  So now you want your stars at positions that impact the passing game:  QB and WR on the offensive side and DE (Edge) and CB on the defensive side.  Call it quadruplets or double-twins or whatever you want, but clearly a lot of GMs clearly see the need to do better than JAGs at those four key positions.  

And with the acquisition of Von Miller, the Bills have stars at all four.  It's not coincidental the Quadruplets are our four highest paid players.  And maybe with the fourth Quadruplet now on the roster, it's time for the Bills to earned what they missed in the 90s.  

The salary cap was implemented in 94,I think. Not sure what that does to your premise,as in regard to the Bills ,for example 

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s an interesting thought for sure but I’d suggest that great teams have always had defensive stars along with offensive fire power. The recent evolution has been to replace the RB with a dominant TE and then employ running back by Committee. 

I think Debo Samuels usage last year could lay a blueprint for a new style of RBs that are more WR esq but large enough to run up the middle and fast enough for catching the ball.

Just now, corta765 said:

I think Debo Samuels usage last year could lay a blueprint for a new style of RBs that are more WR esq but large enough to run up the middle and fast enough for catching the ball.

Excellent point. In recent years the NBA has transitioned away from the traditional big man roster, to a more diversified starting five made up of a bunch of 6’-6” guys. It’ll be interesting to see if the NFL does the same thing and begins to emphasize versatility. It’d really change the way you build your roster.

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent point. In recent years the NBA has transitioned away from the traditional big man roster, to a more diversified starting five made up of a bunch of 6’-6” guys. It’ll be interesting to see if the NFL does the same thing and begins to emphasize versatility. It’d really change the way you build your roster.

Sports across the board is always trend driven. TE revolution has come tenfold over the last decade and while I hate them, the Pats showed the blueprint of what you can down with two talented big TEs at once and everything has evolved since then.

The WR market is getting realllyyyy interesting now that some teams would rather trade guys for picks then pay them. I wonder if the WR market money wise presses down $ wise as more and more talented guys are being found after the 1st round.

If I were to rate the top 3-4 positions I would expect to hold value for the long term I would do as followed:

1. QB (franchise guy forever is 1 as it gives you 10-15 years of certainty and potential to win)

2. Pass Rusher (whether DE/OLB etc it can alter a defense completely and the gameplan of an offense)

3. LT/Blindside T 

4. CB (Gotta be super elite guy the way Peterson, Revis or Sherman were back in their hey day but it can literally shut down half the passing field)

Other then that most positions to me including WR are replaceable to a large extent. If you figure with Josh, Diggs probably has 3 great years left whereas Josh 10-12. Josh will likely have a phase 2 with a whole different core of great players including WR.

So you can honestly sit and say that if the Bills or any other team had any of those backs that you mentioned in your post that they wouldn't make a difference on the offensive side of the ball ??

I think the NFL is trying its damnedest to make this game a high scoring passing type of game because who doesn't like a high flying high scoring game but IMHO every good team that wins the big game has to have at the very least a above average running game .

And if the have a really elite running game they can usually over take most defenses because the LBers are smaller & faster so they are more vulnerable to the run game if you don't believe it just look at what the Titans did to the Bills number 1 D when ever they meet .

The D does alright for a while but after the opposition just pounds & pounds on the smaller LB's they wear them down and eventually run all over them so i feel the run game isn't as obsolete as the "Experts" say it is but that's just me !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.