95yo Former Vikes Coach- Rule Change Ideas

I love all 3 of these ideas! Of course I don't think I've enjoyed a single change Goodell has made to the game, so these will never happen.

What do you all think? Out of the 3 I like the fair catch the least, but wouldnt mind any one of these

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/21/bud-grant-urges-nfl-to-change-rules-to-reduce-kneeldowns-fair-catches-touchbacks/amp/

I would complain to people about the idea that when the trailing team was out of timeouts, the quarterback starts kneeling down and the fans are leaving,” Grant said. The answer always was, ‘There’s nothing that can be done about it.’ I kept thinking about it and decided, ‘Yes, there is. The team on offense has to make a yard — 1 yard — or the clock stops. A few things can happen when trying to make a yard. You can get stuffed. You can fumble. You can get a penalty. And you keep the fans interested."

There’s no fair catch in Canada, but the coverage also has to give the returner 5 yards. NFL people hear this and they’ll say, ‘It will increase injuries.’ The 5-yard cushion makes all the difference. My opinion is there won’t be a real increase in injuries, and the punt would become an interesting play.”

“Why bother, if your goal is to make the kickoff the most-nothing play in football? They say it’s about safety. Injuries happen on every play,” Grant said. “They have made several changes on the way you can block on the kickoff. They can keep those. But you wait three minutes through a timeout, they come back, kick off, walk the ball out to 25. It’s ridiculous. Move the kickoff back 5 yards [to the 30], and if you don’t bring it out, you don’t get rewarded with the 25. You get the ball at the 15.”

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

I like the idea of stopping the clock if a team kneels down. I guess we'd complain when our team is trying to run out the clock but it would definitely make it more exciting. Of course, some people might say the losing team should have conserved their time outs and that this takes away some of the strategy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I like the idea of stopping the clock if a team kneels down. I guess we'd complain when our team is trying to run out the clock but it would definitely make it more exciting. Of course, some people might say the losing team should have conserved their time outs and that this takes away some of the strategy

NFL would never risk injury for something like that.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Who knew the key to a long life is to lose 4 Super Bowls coaching the same team?  Marv 96, Bud 95.  

It would be interesting to hear Marv's reaction to Bud's  ideas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TBBills said:

NFL would never risk injury for something like that.

I don't see why, it's an extra few meaningful plays in a game, that would make closing out a game interesting. An extra 4 plays a game isnt going to create a significant spike in injuries.

17 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

The strategy on the must gain 1 yard could get pretty crazy as teams move inside the 10 late. 

It would lead to a good amount of possession changes inside 2min drill. Would be a lot more exciting, and change outcomes of a good 5 or 10% of games. If you want to win, actually close out a game. Would freaking love this!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I like that gaining a yard rule.

Me too, think of all the fun we will have watching measurements after each of the first three downs and replay reviews of the spot. What used to take a minute or two to accomplish could take 20 minutes or more. 

Seriously, I see no reason to suspend the normal rules used for the whole game in favor of some half-baked, unlimited time out scheme  just to turn a game that is over into a game that is never over. 

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 rules Id change if it was up to me…

1- overtime: you play 10 mins. Whatever the score is it is. You can have the ball 1x you can have the ball 5x. It’s plenty of time. Stop the other team. It’s that simple 

2- pass interference: never have I understood the rule of having to turn back to the ball. A guy has you beat. You are running towards him to catch up, the ball comes over your head and you don’t turn around…it’s pass interference. Why would you ever turn around? You are already beat. As long as you don’t touch the WR, it should be a good play.

3- fumbles/lateral/arm going forward issues: make every ball that doesn’t go past the line of scrimmage a fumble. Even if it’s a forward pass. You don’t reach the line, it’s live. Then none of the questions about arms and angles and what not, ever come up.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Me too, think of all the fun we will have watching measurements after each of the first three downs and replay reviews of the spot. What used to take a minute or two to accomplish could take 20 minutes or more. 

Seriously, I see no reason to suspend the normal rules used for the whole game in favor of some half-baked, unlimited time out scheme  just to turn a game that is over into a game that is never over. 

Change it to a net positive... coach refs to enforce the heart of the rule over actusl measurements.

If RB gets nailed a half yard+ behind LOS, stop the clock, if it's remotely close to back to LOS keep it moving

50 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

3 rules Id change if it was up to me…

1- overtime: you play 10 mins. Whatever the score is it is. You can have the ball 1x you can have the ball 5x. It’s plenty of time. Stop the other team. It’s that simple 

2- pass interference: never have I understood the rule of having to turn back to the ball. A guy has you beat. You are running towards him to catch up, the ball comes over your head and you don’t turn around…it’s pass interference. Why would you ever turn around? You are already beat. As long as you don’t touch the WR, it should be a good play.

3- fumbles/lateral/arm going forward issues: make every ball that doesn’t go past the line of scrimmage a fumble. Even if it’s a forward pass. You don’t reach the line, it’s live. Then none of the questions about arms and angles and what not, ever come up.

I like the other two, but we already do things this way don't we? Am I missing something?

Unfortunately since all his rule change ideas would undo what the league is trying to do with limiting punt and kick returns due to injury concerns there is virtually no chance of seeing them implemented although I have to admit they aren't bad...some are better than others but as a group they would be interesting if not for the injury concerns.

The kneel down has never struck me as one of football's glaring problems screaming for a solution.

However, when it comes to rule changes that ruined the game, the worst-ever may be the "tackle box" rule.  I don't know why they ever made this rule except to give a competitive advantage to the offense.  I say intentional grounding is intentional grounding.

Wow, I've kept that inside for a long time.  What a relief!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I can do without the 1 yard rule...if you've gone through 59 minutes of football and you have the ball and can kneel..then you've earned it.  Also....if it's 35-3...are we really making the kneeling team gain a yard.  

I like the kickoff and punt ideas.  

....and I know this thread isn't about OT rules, but I'll take this oppertunity to tout that OT should be sudden death, no coin toss.  home team gets the ball first.  Give homefield...especially in the playoffs, some more power.  I don't need to see both teams have the ball in OT...I saw both teams with it for 60 minutes and the game is tied.  Homefiled kicks in and if the home team still can't win with needing a FG in Sudden death then the road team truly was/is better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.