If trap games existed, these three would be them according to BillsWire

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to If trap games existed, these three would be them according to BillsWire

Imo, trap games exist more for fans, not so much for the teams/players, it’s a cliché thing mostly, something for TV talk show guys and gals to pontificate on, kinda like the “looking past” a team saying, just saying…, 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, trap games exist more for fans, not so much for the teams/players, it’s a cliché thing mostly, something for TV talk show guys and gals to pontificate on, kinda like the “looking past” a team saying, just saying…, 👍

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But we all know trap games don't exist right?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/3-trap-games-buffalo-bills-2022-nfl-season/

TLDR: 

Week 3 Fins 

Week 5 Steelers 

Week 16 Bears

Squish the Fish Week is NEVER a trap game. The f***ing stealers beat us last year and might be best us again, it’s not a trap game….

Maybe, “da bears,”  is a trap game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 

Being held to only two field goals and ***** out in the second half is a bit beyond just playing like 💩. IIRC a few Jaguars players commented of the Bills being listless and not engaged. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Nope. See below. 

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly. The point isn’t that good teams never lose to bad teams…it’s that the W-L percentage in those games is historically consistent regardless of who the good team played the week before or the week after. Really simple concept. 

Edited by eball

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Being held to only two field goals and ***** out in the second half is a bit beyond just playing like 💩. IIRC a few Jaguars players commented of the Bills being listless and not engaged. 

I’d call that playing like poop,

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Bad teams always have about a 20% chance to win a given game versus good teams...when it happens it's not a trap game, simply the law of averages.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Nope. See below. 

Exactly. The point isn’t that good teams never lose to bad teams…it’s that the W-L percentage in those games is historically consistent regardless of who the good team played the week before or the week after. Really simple concept. 

Yup...in fact a lengthy study done showed the good teams win "trap games" versus bad teams at a slightly higher rate than they win non trap games against bad teams.

I think it is in the eye of the beholder. If you play like crap and beat yourself then it is a trap game.  If you play well but the underdog wins well that is just playing the games.  

As for this season, I think it will be Bills at Jets Nov 6.  Buffalo will be beyond the first 6 game gauntlet and coming off a home win over the Packers.  Jets are an improved roster.  Jets 27 Bills 17

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, BTB said:

…and playing like poop against cellar dwellers can cost you the #1 seed and home field advantage. 

Evidently,

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Statistically it shows the "trap game" is more a myth, more like something fans or the media say to make sense why a favored team loses to an underdog.  Yet, underdogs win every week.  Its why historically, there have only been 5 teams in NFL history go winless.    And when you think about all the teams that had say 1, 2 or 3 wins...well odds are when they won those games they beat teams better than them given a team with 1-3 wins is either the worst team that year or among the worst.  

• Like (+1) 3

I can accept McDermott’s Bills over the years  have played down to their competition on more than a few occasions, and I have always supported this regime… 

With that said if we lose to the Bears in week 16 I might have to start questioning this staff a little more 😂

Even if we somehow have the #1 seed locked up at that point and play our backups, even if it’s 80 mph winds and 3 feet of snow, we better beat this years version of the Bears. 

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

All games where our opponent plays physical against our finesse offense and dfense - will always be TRAP games.  Last year Steelers, Titans, Colts, NE and Jacksonville - all physically hit us everywhere and we couldn't recover.

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

All games where our opponent plays physical against our finesse offense and dfense - will always be TRAP games.  Last year Steelers, Titans, Colts, NE and Jacksonville - all physically hit us everywhere and we couldn't recover.

That doesn’t make it a “trap game” it makes it an out hustled and out coached game.

I know coaches will always say their team never overlooks anyone. It's hard to win in the NFL, right?

There's no doubt in my mind they thought they can just sleep walk into Jacksonville and leave with a W. 

When they realized the Jags came to play it was too late. 

25 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I know coaches will always say their team never overlooks anyone. It's hard to win in the NFL, right?

There's no doubt in my mind they thought they can just sleep walk into Jacksonville and leave with a W. 

When they realized the Jags came to play it was too late. 

That doesn't make it a trap game tho...that just means they weren't prepared.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As for this season, I think it will be Bills at Jets Nov 6.  Buffalo will be beyond the first 6 game gauntlet and coming off a home win over the Packers.  Jets are an improved roster.  Jets 27 Bills 17

You make a good point, but...no! Jets still gonna Jet, at least this year.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.