Movin The Chains is in the process of evaluating the offensive lines these two weeks

On 5/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, GreggTX said:

How are we rated that high? Quessenberry is another Ty Nsehke. Brown and Bates would be backups on most rosters. Morse is a slice above average and both Saffold and Dawkins one more slice above that. All that considered, our OL is pretty average. This evaluation seems quite biased.

There were times last season when our RB's had no holes to run through, albeit with injuries. Allen was pressured more times than any other QB (185) and he was hurried way more than any other QB -- 95 times vs 76 for Hurts who was #2. The only significant upgrade was at LG and the RG position is even weaker than last year.

You’re also discounting Dion not being himself for the majority of the season. When healthy, he is the best player on our o-line and when he got better our o-line also did better last year. Sure he isn’t the sole the reason, but it’s also worth noting and not discounting as you did. 

It’s probably better to think of the additions we picked in regards to the end of the season o-line play. That was more in line with how our o-line should have played, and will play this year (+ the additions). 

By far the biggest thing this year is going to be the addition of BeachChairs Kromer. Our peak OL last year should be our new baseline IMO. There's enough continuity. Brown and Bates will have a full TC with starter reps. I feel good about it.

Side not, crazy how quickly KC turned over their OL from one of the worst to (considered) best in AFC

• Like (+1) 1

I like our line quite a bit.

But tied for 4th in the league with only four teams left to be evaluated? IMO that's a bit high for the Bills OL.

I do agree with them that, strongly, that continuity has helped here and should continue to be a positive factor.

The last three or four games of the year, basically after Bates came in and Dawkins started playing at his capacity, this line looked like a top ten group. Throw in the rest of the year and it would be fair to put them as below average. 

But since the starters look likely (not surely, but likely) to be closer to the end of the year group than any other combo, it's fair to be really hopeful.

But 4th? Not based on what we've seen, I think.

Edited by Thurman#1

Guys, my point is they don’t have skin in the game, have an objective formula to assess and they are incredibly detailed looking at a lot of parameters.   A lot of opinions are armchair QB’s who didn’t take the time to put them on a chalk board vs, 31 other teams. I’ve already detailed a bunch of the stats they use.  Listen to the shows for all 8 divisions and then comment.

Im listening right now on RBs for Memorial Day and they rated our RBs even with Cook as a little over avg., to just avg.  15 out of 20.  That’s not even close to the top 10.  These guys aren’t doing the Bills hype tour like some analysts as we have a fantastic team on paper.  Then again McD was right, games aren’t won on paper.  Some here are just not looking at the line objectively. Listen to all 8 shows and then make you’re own opinion.   With rewind, you can skip to each team only download so you don’t have to listen to the calls.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They just gave the top 5. Pat had the Bills at 3, Jim at 4.

Both had Detroit at 5. Jim had NO at 3 Pat had them at 4. Both had the Eagles at 2 and KC at 1.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Guys, my point is they don’t have skin in the game, have an objective formula to assess and they are incredibly detailed looking at a lot of parameters.   A lot of opinions are armchair QB’s who didn’t take the time to put them on a chalk board vs, 31 other teams. I’ve already detailed a bunch of the stats they use.  Listen to the shows for all 8 divisions and then comment.

Im listening right now on RBs for Memorial Day and they rated our RBs even with Cook as a little over avg., to just avg.  15 out of 20.  That’s not even close to the top 10.  These guys aren’t doing the Bills hype tour like some analysts as we have a fantastic team on paper.  Then again McD was right, games aren’t won on paper.  Some here are just not looking at the line objectively. Listen to all 8 shows and then make you’re own opinion.   With rewind, you can skip to each team only download so you don’t have to listen to the calls.

They haven't done the Jerks yet but they have the Fish at 17 and Cheatriots at 15, tied with the Bills.

12 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

They just gave the top 5. Pat had the Bills at 3, Jim at 4.

Both had Detroit at 5. Jim had NO at 3 Pat had them at 4. Both had the Eagles at 2 and KC at 1.

They haven't done the Jerks yet but they have the Fish at 17 and Cheatriots at 15, tied with the Bills.

I listened, but was busy for the holiday and wasn’t able to update the final five.  Thanks.

I think that was fair at 3rd or 4th.  I would’ve even been happy at 5th.  They won’t make the top 10 at RB, which is also fair.  Their point yesterday was Cool hasn’t proven anything yet and they are right.

They had us right at the top at QB last year not Just for Allen, but depth with MT.  I expect the same with Keenum.

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

But their objective formula is not the only one out there. I have seen the Bills ranked 9th, 14th, 17th and 18th in recent weeks by other formulas. To be honest 9th still feels high to me. 3rd or 4th feels bonkers. You are taking a line that was bottom half of the NFL for most of last season, adding one new starter in a Roger Saffold, who gave up 26 pressures in 2021 (21st worst pressure rate among the 68 qualifying guards in the NFL - that is bottom third) and gambling a lot on Ryan Bates who has 6 career starts (and actually gave up 4 QB pressures across those 6 starts). 

Are there reasons to be positive about our line getting better? There are. Dawkins healthy and Kromer back being the main two.... but whatever ranking system spits out 3rd or 4th best line in the NFL should, at this stage, be treated with a healthy dose of scepticism. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.