Kollmann film room on Khalil Shakir

LEBills

36 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I’d like Manny Sanders to come back on a team friendly contract. He & Gabe switch roles from last year. Give Manny half the work from last year. I think he’ll be more effective and last the whole year. Less is more kinda sort of . 

I’d like to Manny back as well, but I think he’s made his decision to walk away.

45 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’d like to Manny back as well, but I think he’s made his decision to walk away.

I haven’t seen anything definitive on that but could have easily missed it. A competitor like MS is going to get the itch to come back with this team. And finish a SB Champion 😁

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it’s Shakir vs Stevenson vs McKenzie. I don’t see any other viable candidates on the roster. Unless they bring in a veteran or one of the UDFAs steps up, that’s who I see in the return competition.

Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t bring in a more viable returner after the way last season went. Maybe they’re hoping Stevenson steps up. In all of Beane’s discussions of Shakir in interviews, I haven’t actually heard him mention Shakir being a candidate for the returner role.

It’s pretty crazy huh?  Considering all the money and effort they put towards ST…. We completely ignore the returner every season.  It’s baffling imo

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Shakir is also an insurance policy if Gabe were to go down with injury or becomes too expensive when he hits free agency [e.g. Tyreek Hill].  I think with Josh's big contract, that drafting will become super important as it will give the team (over the 4 years they control the draftees) 15-20 cost controlled regulars.

I think he’s more likely Crowders replacement next year or after he gets hurt this year.  If Davis leaves after 2 more seasons (which is VERY possible considering the contract he might command), I hope that we would have drafted a WR in rd 1 of the 22 or 23 draft.  

33 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I haven’t seen anything definitive on that but could have easily missed it. A competitor like MS is going to get the itch to come back with this team. And finish a SB Champion 😁

Emmanuel Sanders reportedly told Josh Allen his knees are shot so unlikely he plays again. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Emmanuel Sanders reportedly told Josh Allen his knees are shot so unlikely he plays again. 

Ive been saying this: the Bills have outstanding slot depth but are shallow on the outside. Shakir CAN play out there, but counting on a 5th round rookie to replace a Diggs or a Davis is asking a lot.

SO…

Unless they really have faith in Stevenson or Hodgins stepping up, they ought to be looking at bringing in a veteran outside Wr. One with a bit of speed would be nice.

I can’t help but wonder if TY Hilton would be willing to take a cheap deal for a shot at a title.

44 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

10 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Best thing to do is bring him in to be on practice squad and elevate him for 2 games a year and maybe playoffs to give them veteran presence Coach McD likes.  

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it’s Shakir vs Stevenson vs McKenzie. I don’t see any other viable candidates on the roster. Unless they bring in a veteran or one of the UDFAs steps up, that’s who I see in the return competition.

Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t bring in a more viable returner after the way last season went. Maybe they’re hoping Stevenson steps up. In all of Beane’s discussions of Shakir in interviews, I haven’t actually heard him mention Shakir being a candidate for the returner role.

Stevenson's going to have to transform himself like I've never seen a player transform to be a viable NFL return man.  He runs too straight up.  He's not elusive.  He takes a ton of hard shots that are going to result in turnovers and/or injuries.  I doubt Stevenson makes the team unless he shows up big time.

Linked Video is a good breakdown of why Cook and Shakir were picked by the Bills - RAC ability and creating match-up issues all over the field.  Shakir looks like someone they want to groom into a swiss army knife slot receiver to be the No. 3 eventually with Diggs and Davis.  I think it will be slot by committee this year but its Shakir's role to win.

Edited by Ayjent

OP, Thanks for posting the link.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is an intriguing question entering 2022: who are the returner candidates, exactly?

Obviously Stevenson will get a look, although we can mostly agree his rookie audition was rough. McKenzie IS a dangerous returner, no doubt, but he's a bit dangerous for BOTH teams, unfortunately. 

Hasn't Shakir seen some action as a returner? Do Cook or Elam have any return experience?

During college Shakir returned 7 kickoffs for 167 yards (23.9 per) and 24 punts for 180 yards (7.5 yards per).

Last year was his best year as a returner with 2 kickoffs for 57 yards (28.5 per) and 9 punts for 115 yards (12.8).

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/khalil-shakir-player-stats?category=returning&seasonType=reg

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

He mentioned he was courted to return when he guested on GMFB a few weeks ago, but quickly followed up with ‘my aching knees..’

16 hours ago, White Linen said:

The interview he did with Howard and Jeremy on GR was impressive.   What a seemingly fantastic young man with an incredibly focused attitude.   I have a feeling we found a real gem in this kid.

Yes it’s unbelievable that he made it to the 5th round but then again so did Diggs ..

We found a gem in the 4th round with Davis hopefully we found another with Shakir !!! 

Edited by Putin

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We literally had all pro Andre Roberts two years ago 

Sorry…..I should’ve said the last 2 offseasons.  I find it strange that we’ve neglected it this offseason after our struggles with it last season. Don’t you?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.