Kollmann film room on Khalil Shakir

LEBills

54 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Its been one year! they drafted Stevenson who got hurt and used McKenzie in his stead

I suppose Stevenson counts.  He was pretty terrible last year.  Maybe they plan on Shakir taking the job for 2022.  We don’t have anyone else.  

We had an all pro safety Micah Hyde returning punts when things mattered most. 
Meanwhile we had several guys on the team strictly for special teams.  

i just think it’s strange that we haven’t made a better attempt to add a returner that we can trust.  

You disagree. Cool Beanes.  

9 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Really is pretty peculiar this dude fell to the 5th with how much praise he gets. 

giphy.gif

There is a perception that he has a couple shortcomings that limit him to the slot.

And slot receivers gotta' be pretty explosive to be worth day 2 picks.   Which he ain't.  

He's in the Cole Beasley/Jamison Crowder category athletically............Beasley was undrafted and Crowder was a 4th.   5th round seemed about right to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

giphy.gif

There is a perception that he has a couple shortcomings that limit him to the slot.

And slot receivers gotta' be pretty explosive to be worth day 2 picks.   Which he ain't.  

He's in the Cole Beasley/Jamison Crowder category athletically............Beasley was undrafted and Crowder was a 4th.   5th round seemed about right to me.

I think he is a better athlete than Crowder and Beasley. I don't love his long speed but he is super explosive over the first 10 yards - morseo than those other two. He goes 0-60 very quickly but then doesn't have that extra gear shift. He isn't going to come in with that natural feel for coverage holes that made Cole Beasley such an effective slot but I actually think Crowder isn't a bad comp for him. A slightly more athletic Jamison Crowder.

I think the 5th was late for him, surprised he lasted that long but I do see why he did. Teams will always rather take a shot on a guy they think can be an outside deep threat over someone they think can only work inside. 

• Like (+1) 4

I think he can work the 20 yd. outs just fine. I don't think he's limited to a slot WR at all. He may not have the home run speed , but is said to be a very good route runner.

Billswire comps him to Antwan Randle'el.

16 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I think he can work the 20 yd. outs just fine. I don't think he's limited to a slot WR at all. He may not have the home run speed , but is said to be a very good route runner.

Billswire comps him to Antwan Randle'el.

We will see. I think he can play some reps outside but as for being a regular outside player, I am sceptical. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a better athlete than Crowder and Beasley. I don't love his long speed but he is super explosive over the first 10 yards - morseo than those other two. He goes 0-60 very quickly but then doesn't have that extra gear shift. He isn't going to come in with that natural feel for coverage holes that made Cole Beasley such an effective slot but I actually think Crowder isn't a bad comp for him. A slightly more athletic Jamison Crowder.

I think the 5th was late for him, surprised he lasted that long but I do see why he did. Teams will always rather take a shot on a guy they think can be an outside deep threat over someone they think can only work inside. 

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that.    I think we have to admit that the athletic bar has been raised at receiver though since the likes of Beasley and Crowder entered the league.   The league was struggling to find receivers in those years and still those two weren't considered of great draft value.   Shakir being a modestly better athlete(at least using combine numbers) just helps the Bills keep pace in the slot,  rather than necessary elevating them.     Beas and Crowder put up some pretty big numbers.   I expect Shakir to be similar if not better.   But slots get coins.........outside WR get paper.   You gotta' be seen as a real ankle breaker to go in the top 3 rounds as a slot.

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Didn’t realize how big he is. 6 feet tall and 190 pounds. That’s Diggs’s size. Seems like he can easily play outside. 

Yeah, not sure why he went so late and is considered mostly a slot receiver.  He has good size, speed (4.43), played at a BCS school and seems like a great kid with a good attitude.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, not sure why he went so late and is considered mostly a slot receiver.  He has good size, speed (4.43), played at a BCS school and seems like a great kid with a good attitude.

For Shakir, I think it came down to two things: One, his short arms (29 inches). I think that made a lot of teams feel that he would be slot only for fear he wouldn’t be able to get off press on the outside. And two, with such a deep WR class someone was bound to fall.

And I think it is probably true that slot is his best spot so he can get that free release and let him make full use of his initial quickness. However, The fifth round was way too late for him, especially when someone like Jahan Dotson went 132 picks earlier and he had struggles getting off the line vs press too and is smaller than Khalil.

Tho it would be great if he turned into Deebo or Diggs, Imo his best pro comp is Robert Woods as he has that same smooth, hunched over running style and can be used in slot, backfield, end around, etc… Which would be great!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Lacks the functional strength and some long speed to play outside consistently in my opinion. He is at his best in tight spaces where that short area quickness and initial burst come into play.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

So basically he can't beat press coverage as an outside WR?  And the thinking is that it's not something he can improve, because of his arms?

Not so much that he can’t but it’s less likely because he isn’t built like what the prototype outside receiver is due to his lack of length. Scouting is basically just probability.

The chance of him winning outside when probably every cornerback he will face is longer than him is less likely. It’s not a 0% chance but if you are looking for an outside WR do you want to take those odds early in the draft? And again, I am pumped about the pick

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Not so much that he can’t but it’s less likely because he isn’t built like what the prototype outside receiver is due to his lack of length. Scouting is basically just probability.

The chance of him winning outside when probably every cornerback he will face is longer than him is less likely. It’s not a 0% chance but if you are looking for an outside WR do you want to take those odds early in the draft? And again, I am pumped about the pick

Agree. There are some things you can do with him outside to help him scheme wise but that is fine just to spell your top guys or maybe fill in for a 1 week injury. But you are not going to be able to pull it off week in and week out without teams cottoning on and then you get back to can he win consitently on the outside when matched up with a DB and the answer to me is unlikely. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.