Kollmann film room on Khalil Shakir

LEBills

Really nice that he starts the video off by providing info to help our community after last week

The video itself is well though out and reasoned as all Brett’s videos are. Fun watch as we wait for football to get back

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 13

6 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Lost a lot of credibility when he said McKenzie didn’t have special team ability 

Not sure about that. McKenzie did lose return duties twice I think. Love lil dirty but he was shaky at best for returns last year I think and McD clearly lost confidence in him and when he put him back in it was a struggle. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7

40 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Lost a lot of credibility when he said McKenzie didn’t have special team ability 

McKenzie has seemingly lost the confidence of the coaching staff in his return abilities. If he's not going to be a returner, then he has no other special team ability.

• Like (+1) 4

Incredibly excited about this pick.

It's not just Bills fans that think Shakir was a steal. Lots and lots of analysts have agreed, and Beane said that several GMs were pissed at him for taking Shakir before they could.

Like Kollman, I have no idea how this guy fell to the fifth round.

While he'll likely be a WR4 in 2022 -- which, in and of itself, is a great insurance policy, as he'll be a viable backup for all three WR spots -- I definitely see him supplanting Crowder in 2023 and becoming the full time slot receiver from then on. As Kollman said, his versatility and run-after-catch ability will simply be too hard to keep off the field.

Now I'm just hoping I can snag him in round 3 of my dynasty rookie draft before my league-mates catch on to what a steal he'll be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

McKenzie has seemingly lost the confidence of the coaching staff in his return abilities. If he's not going to be a returner, then he has no other special team ability.

This is an intriguing question entering 2022: who are the returner candidates, exactly?

We know Hyde is the guy for when McD's backside gets a bit clenched in the bad weather or the big moments after someone else muffs it. He's the steady, no drama punt "catcher." But who are the ACTUAL candidates? 

Obviously Stevenson will get a look, although we can mostly agree his rookie audition was rough. McKenzie IS a dangerous returner, no doubt, but he's a bit dangerous for BOTH teams, unfortunately. Could take one to the house (if it isn't called back), and could just as likely throw up all over himself. Does more experience, more time refining his craft even-out some of those unforced errors? 

Who are the less obvious candidates? Hasn't Shakir seen some action as a returner? That seems right, and probably ideal if he can contribute there early on. Do Cook or Elam have any return experience? I like to pose questions to which I do NOT have the answers, by the way. I know some of you still awake have some answers or at least ideas.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is an intriguing question entering 2022: who are the returner candidates, exactly?

We know Hyde is the guy for when McD's backside gets a bit clenched in the bad weather or the big moments after someone else muffs it. He's the steady, no drama punt "catcher." But who are the ACTUAL candidates? 

Obviously Stevenson will get a look, although we can mostly agree his rookie audition was rough. McKenzie IS a dangerous returner, no doubt, but he's a bit dangerous for BOTH teams, unfortunately. Could take one to the house (if it isn't called back), and could just as likely throw up all over himself. Does more experience, more time refining his craft even-out some of those unforced errors? 

Who are the less obvious candidates? Hasn't Shakir seen some action as a returner? That seems right, and probably ideal if he can contribute there early on. Do Cook or Elam have any return experience? I like to pose questions to which I do NOT have the answers, by the way. I know some of you still awake have some answers or at least ideas.

Well, as I am still awake and will be maybe, for while yet, I would say, watch the video.

12 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think it’s Shakir vs Stevenson vs McKenzie. I don’t see any other viable candidates on the roster. Unless they bring in a veteran or one of the UDFAs steps up, that’s who I see in the return competition.

Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t bring in a more viable returner after the way last season went. Maybe they’re hoping Stevenson steps up. In all of Beane’s discussions of Shakir in interviews, I haven’t actually heard him mention Shakir being a candidate for the returner role.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I think it’s Shakir vs Stevenson vs McKenzie. I don’t see any other viable candidates on the roster. Unless they bring in a veteran or one of the UDFAs steps up, that’s who I see in the return competition.

Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t bring in a more viable returner after the way last season went. Maybe they’re hoping Stevenson steps up. In all of Beane’s discussions of Shakir in interviews, I haven’t actually heard him mention Shakir being a candidate for the returner role.

And while Shakir has done it, it was not a regular gig for him.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Perhaps there is a point to be made that McKenzie lost his P/KR role. But, to suggest that McKenzie isn't versatile is just ludicrous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

IMO He is a Gabe Davis "type", one who is more ready than his draft position would suggest.  Let's see what happens in camp but the guy has a big chance to be in the starting lineup come Sept. 

Edited by TBBills
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, TBBills said:

IMO He is a Gabe Davis "type", one who is more ready than his draft position would suggest.  Let's see what happens in camp but the guy has a big chance to be in the starting lineup come Sept. 

I agree he is more ready than the 5th round would suggest. I had a high 3rd on Gabe it is more a late 3rd on Shakir but I'd argue Shakir is even higher floor. I am not sure he will come out of camp our starting slot (though it is not impossible) but by the end of the season I expect him to be. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s interesting to see that a fifth round pick is getting so much attention.  It goes back to #17. If JA is not running this offense and he fails to gun the ball all over the field, this kid just falls on the NFL depth chart.

Josh Allen makes Shakir a weapon. Shakir in return helps Josh with yet another option on the field.

9 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

daHell you talkin’ about? Dirty is a ST liability.

OP, thanks for the thread and insight. More excited about Shakir now!

• Agree 1

Shakir is also an insurance policy if Gabe were to go down with injury or becomes too expensive when he hits free agency [e.g. Tyreek Hill].  I think with Josh's big contract, that drafting will become super important as it will give the team (over the 4 years they control the draftees) 15-20 cost controlled regulars.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.