STHs beware

Mr Info

38 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The government?  I didn't realize this fell in that same Etsy/Venmo 600 dollar thing though

$600 in sales is the threshold that TM or SH have to send you a 1099, which they also send to the IRS. What determines whether your Season Ticket purchase counts as a business is whether if you're buying them for business purposes. That's to say, to primarily sell. 

Edited by Motorin'

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

I don't know that we'll get PSLs with the deal the pegulas got from state/county.  

I’d like to introduce you to my friend from the State…. His names Dover….Benjamin Dover…..

“Here come the PSL’s.” He tells me.

7 hours ago, Mr Info said:

There was an article today about long-time Packers STH wait-list people obtaining tix this year. 
This is a link to the article and the reason these STHs were relieved of their tix. I am a STH so it got my interest.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/05/20/packers-season-tickets-fans-50-year-wait/9853572002/

"The team made the determination to not renew a selection of tickets of a handful of ticketholders who held a significant number of tickets that were primarily being resold on a regular basis above face value," said Aaron Popkey, director of public affairs. "Packers season tickets are intended to be used by the ticketholder, including family and others, to attend the game. The tickets identified and not renewed were simply being resold for a profit. It was a pattern that existed for years." 

so GB ticket holders were forming little cabals to buy up blocks of seats and gouge people on the secondary market? And what’s the problem with showing them the door exactly?

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

If I buy a product, then I should be able to use that product however I want to ... including re-selling it for a profit.

Especially if one first bought that product while living 700 miles away during the goddamn Chan Gailey era. 

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

If I buy a product, then I should be able to use that product however I want to ... including re-selling it for a profit.

Let's not overlook the Bills get a significant cut from NFL TicketEchange sales.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

To clarify my previous comment ... ideally, YES.  I agree that it would be great if STHs were all actual fans of the team who intend to either attend games, or share tickets with other fans of the team.

But a team simply saying, "nah - we're not gonna let you renew," seems like a dangerous precedent to me.  Dangerous for the team.

It's reminiscent of the TB Lightening not letting anyone wearing the opposing team's jerseys into the game.  

How many of those STH'ers were there during the playoff drought?

If the new stadium has 60k of 65k as season ticket holders, doesn’t leave much left for the general public except in the secondary market.  

Would the Bills,  for example be more pleased with a lot of empty seats in December on TV or a fuller stadium with STH’ers making a few bucks (if any)?

What do they care?  Doesn’t cost them any lost dollars

Edited by Mr. WEO

17 hours ago, Mr Info said:

There was an article today about long-time Packers STH wait-list people obtaining tix this year. 
This is a link to the article and the reason these STHs were relieved of their tix. I am a STH so it got my interest.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/05/20/packers-season-tickets-fans-50-year-wait/9853572002/

"The team made the determination to not renew a selection of tickets of a handful of ticketholders who held a significant number of tickets that were primarily being resold on a regular basis above face value," said Aaron Popkey, director of public affairs. "Packers season tickets are intended to be used by the ticketholder, including family and others, to attend the game. The tickets identified and not renewed were simply being resold for a profit. It was a pattern that existed for years." 

Mr. Info, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into.

I say, let 'em crash!

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

And if I have a product that you want me to sell to you, and I don't like the way I think you're going to use it ... then I should be able to use that product however I want to, including selling it to somebody else.

12 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

So who buys the tickets?

Many times it's Pittsburgh fans, Cleveland fans, fans of whatever team we're playing that week.

Edited by Thurman#1

Teams can an will do this because they legally can do it, (it’s a monopoly folks) they control their product not the fans who purchase tickets, seasons or not.  It is really that simple, fans can no longer game the ticket system in a way that teams feel is detrimental to their product, again, they hold a monopoly…, it’s corporate SOP to more fully control their product. STHs have zero rights concerning this decision, other than not renewing their ticket purchases. End of story. 

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Teams can an will do this because they legally can do it, (it’s a monopoly folks) they control their product not the fans who purchase tickets, seasons or not.  It is really that simple, fans can no longer game the ticket system in a way that teams feel is detrimental to their product, again, they hold a monopoly…, it’s corporate SOP to more fully control their product. STHs have zero rights concerning this decision, other than not renewing their ticket purchases. End of story. 

Yup. And I think they are convinced, probably correctly, that for other ticket buyers the product will be better if those seats are filled with more loyal fans who can make friendships and relationships in the seats. Not to mention filled with Packer fans.

19 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Scalpers inflate ticket prices which prevent fans from attending games.

Part of the strategy of keeping prices low is to grow a team's fanbase. It's a trade-off from increasing it on their own and attracting only corporate attendees.

Greenbay can eliminate the wait list by simply raising prices to match the market.

Yup, that would eliminate the wait list.

And fill the stands with fans of the opponents and with corporate buyers who aren't likely to root for the team the way the fans who can afford the tickets at current prices do.

You're exactly right, it's a trade-off. Out of the tens of thousands of loyal great fans, letting about a hundred seats go is NOT going to make Packer fans angry about this, except for that hundred. Who weren't being good fans anyway.

Edited by Thurman#1

Anyhooo.....

I am a first time STH (or STM as the Bills like to call us).  Just bought them yesterday.

Anybody want to buy two tickets for the Bills-Jets game on December 11 for a mere $500 each??  Could be the division-deciding game!

13 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Anyhooo.....

I am a first time STH (or STM as the Bills like to call us).  Just bought them yesterday.

Anybody want to buy two tickets for the Bills-Jets game on December 11 for a mere $500 each??  Could be the division-deciding game!

I don't think the Bills would ever purge their season ticket rolls. Especially long time members. Things are great now but if the team ever falls back to earth, they will need every STM'er they can get, especially with PSLs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:40 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

How many of those STH'ers were there during the playoff drought?

I had ST's for about a decade during the drought.  I'm out of town so we came in for 1-2 games per season, sold the rest.  Never made much of a profit on those but recouped some of my expense.  The popular teams like Steelers, Cowboys, Packers who come around every once in a while would sell for a lot more.

With the popularity of online sites nowadays, owning all the tix didn't make as much sense.   It's easier now to just pick a game or two that I want to attend, swipe purchase on my phone and get nice lower level seats (even though fees are ridiculous).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.