STHs beware

Mr Info

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, like I said.  I'd love for Highmark to be chock full of Bills fans and I'm sure that's every team's wish.

I just have an issue with a retailer dictating how you use what you've bought from them.  

But I get it.  It's their choice/right.  And it's also something - as a consumer - I know about going into it.

so the basic question to the STH/STM do you purchase for the purpose of consumption or resell - you have the right to either...but my question to the NFL teams..at what point does this violate your policy...i guess its years (of monitoring)....teams likley give you time for some kind of personal hardship...

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK educate me here is this argument over selling the ticket that you might sell it to an opposing teams fan Diluting the home-field advantage thing am I missing something

Scalpers inflate ticket prices which prevent fans from attending games.

Part of the strategy of keeping prices low is to grow a team's fanbase. It's a trade-off from increasing it on their own and attracting only corporate attendees.

Greenbay can eliminate the wait list by simply raising prices to match the market.

I have a friend who is a ticket broker, and his explanation of his role is "I sell the tickets for what they are worth - which is what someone is willing to pay for them".  The team sells them to him at a discount so they lose risk of not selling seats and they'll make a certain amount for every game.  

When the team is good?  This saturates the single game ticket market with massively expensive tickets because people all want to go, there aren't season tickets available etc.  But when the team was in a 17 year drought, they were calling the brokers every year to renew their seasons early.  

When the team is bad (and the sabres are a great example of this)?  The brokers are the only way you get butts in the seats.  The sabres went away from brokers this year and people didn't want to go.  Why?  Because the broker strategy devalued the product so much.  Why would i want to pay 50 bucks a seat when it was 10 in 2019.  I know when they fired John Sinclair people were all up in arms because he was a friend or whatever, but he worked with brokers heavily to fill that stadium however he could.  Likely at the cost of profitability.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Part of the strategy of keeping prices low is to grow a team's fanbase. It's a trade-off from increasing it on their own and attracting only corporate attendees.

Greenbay can eliminate the wait list by simply raising prices to match the market.

Thats the thing - nobody wants to do this because then they have "the most expensive tickets on the market"

36 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

so the basic question to the STH/STM do you purchase for the purpose of consumption or resell - you have the right to either...but my question to the NFL teams..at what point does this violate your policy...i guess its years (of monitoring)....teams likley give you time for some kind of personal hardship...

It's easy to have a policy when you have a wait list.  When you are selling fewer season tickets like say the Jaguars - you'll take what you can get to be able to say "we have 50,000 season ticket holders.  Sure there are blocks of seats that are given to brokers, and i sold them at 60 cents on the dollar (or less) but its good press.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

An interesting thing is purchasing for the purpose of reselling makes your Season Ticket purchase a business deduction. If you end up making more than you spent you'll owe taxes, but if you lose money it's a write off against your taxable income.

Edited by Motorin'

12 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

An interesting thing is purchasing for the purpose of reselling makes your Season Ticket purchase a business deduction. If you end up making more than you spent you'll owe taxes, but if you lose money it's a write off against your taxable income.

I believe the 1099-K threshold for reporting is now $600. Reselling a few tix to popular games makes that hill easy to climb.

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You need to have above a certain threshold in total ticket sales for you to have to claim it as income or a write off.  

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

If I buy a product, then I should be able to use that product however I want to ... including re-selling it for a profit.

True if you are buying a few for your own use and for some reason want to sell some games.  This is meant to prevent big players from buying hundreds or more just to try to sell at higher prices.

58 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I don’t think you said that right. Fans still attend the game, just different ones. As someone who doesn’t live close to the stadium, I depend on someone reselling their ticket, even at a confiscatory rate, in order for me to go. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

How long did those scalpers have to wait to get season tickets?

Well, before my grandmother got sick she put about half of her grandkids on the waiting list….. 19 years later there’s about ten more years of waiting to get season tickets…. The line shortens by about 600-900 tickets a year and there are 100k+ people waiting. 🤷‍♂️ 😂 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.