STHs beware

Mr Info

There was an article today about long-time Packers STH wait-list people obtaining tix this year. 
This is a link to the article and the reason these STHs were relieved of their tix. I am a STH so it got my interest.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/05/20/packers-season-tickets-fans-50-year-wait/9853572002/

"The team made the determination to not renew a selection of tickets of a handful of ticketholders who held a significant number of tickets that were primarily being resold on a regular basis above face value," said Aaron Popkey, director of public affairs. "Packers season tickets are intended to be used by the ticketholder, including family and others, to attend the game. The tickets identified and not renewed were simply being resold for a profit. It was a pattern that existed for years." 

Love it.... That keeps people from picking up tickets for the sole purpose of scalping.

It was a pattern for years, so its not a few games a season. I don't think any legitimate fan buying ST's and only going to 4-6 games a year has anything to worry about

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I buy a product, then I should be able to use that product however I want to ... including re-selling it for a profit.

Right. And if the people selling the product want to limit that by refusing to sell to people selling for profit, they have that right as well. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I buy a product, then I should be able to use that product however I want to ... including re-selling it for a profit.

Buy your own football team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Keep it local. Works for me.

To clarify my previous comment ... ideally, YES.  I agree that it would be great if STHs were all actual fans of the team who intend to either attend games, or share tickets with other fans of the team.

But a team simply saying, "nah - we're not gonna let you renew," seems like a dangerous precedent to me.  Dangerous for the team.

It's reminiscent of the TB Lightening not letting anyone wearing the opposing team's jerseys into the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Is forbidding resale a stipulation of the STH agreement? If not, Pack might be opening up to some class action.

They are well covered here

https://www.packers.com/tickets/season-ticket-holder-policies

SEASON TICKETS AS REVOCABLE LICENSES/RENEWAL OF SEASON TICKETS

Season tickets are revocable licenses that may be revoked and admission refused, at the sole discretion of the Packers. The Packers reserve the right to refuse admission or eject any person whose conduct the Packers deem to be disorderly or in noncompliance with the rules and regulations as promulgated by the Packers from time to time.

Season tickets are offered on a one-year basis only. The purchase of season tickets does not entitle a season ticket holder to purchase season tickets in any subsequent year. The opportunity to renew season tickets is a privilege granted by the Packers, which may be withdrawn at the discretion of the Packers.

After posting this about the Packers, I investigated the Bills STH Terms & Conditions. 
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/upload/v1579706489/bills/m4yj8aee0vw6u6xl34lx.pdf

Below is the only item I found that is relevant. The last sentence, imo, permits re-sale. But you know, like the Pack, the Bills are aware who are consistently reselling their season tix…because the Bills are not getting that $.

“a) STM shall not sell, assign, sublease, pledge, or otherwise transfer or encumber the Agreement or any of the STM’s rights and obligations under the Agreement, without the prior written consent of the Bills. Any attempted sale, assignment, sublease, pledge, transfer or encumbrance in contravention of the foregoing shall be null and void and of no effect. This shall not be construed to restrain STM’s ability to resell individual tickets.

Edited by Mr Info

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

To clarify my previous comment ... ideally, YES.  I agree that it would be great if STHs were all actual fans of the team who intend to either attend games, or share tickets with other fans of the team.

But a team simply saying, "nah - we're not gonna let you renew," seems like a dangerous precedent to me.  Dangerous for the team.

It's reminiscent of the TB Lightening not letting anyone wearing the opposing team's jerseys into the game.  

Well, you can save the slippery slope argument for another day. I'm not that worried about it. Teams already have the ability to not let people renew for whatever reason they deem fit. That is their right. So there really isnt a precedent being set here. Just exercising an option that has always existed.

Their point right now is, we have local fans on a waiting list for decades who cant get tickets, and these STHs are putting every single game up for resale, so time to make a call. It's the team's right to do so, and I cant disagree with the logic behind it.

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Exactly. Teams can make these decisions for any reasons they wish. It's their game, it's their tickets. It's basically an "at will" sales policy.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, you can save the slippery slope argument for another day. I'm not that worried about it. Teams already have the ability to not let people renew for whatever reason they deem fit. That is their right. So there really isnt a precedent being set here. Just exercising an option that has always existed.

Their point right now is, we have local fans on a waiting list for decades who cant get tickets, and these STHs are putting every single game up for resale, so time to make a call. It's the team's right to do so, and I cant disagree with the logic behind it.

Yeah, like I said.  I'd love for Highmark to be chock full of Bills fans and I'm sure that's every team's wish.

I just have an issue with a retailer dictating how you use what you've bought from them.  

But I get it.  It's their choice/right.  And it's also something - as a consumer - I know about going into it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.