Biggest Weakness?

Awwufelloff

On 5/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Coaching, IMO, is the limiting factor on this team. If they stay out of the weeds, they're pretty unstopppable

Coaching scared because of lack of pass rush. If we generate sacks and play press coverage when we have to at the end of games  we will be unstoppable

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Our teams weakness is lack of heart. How often do we hear about the commitment level from players outside of Allen, Diggs, Davis, and White? Why do we never hear stories about our o-linemen being gym rats and studying film, soaking up knowledge without being asked (Allen tight end school), or our d-linemen? 
Elam so far seems to be another proactive player (playbook monster), so it’s glad to hear that. What about our other rookies? 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, Awwufelloff said:

Do you think having a new offensive coach even if he was already with the team will have a big impact on this season? I know most here had issues with Daboll but I thought he was pretty good. 

Yes. I expect to stumble pretty badly early on and get rolling around week 10. I think back to the year where Big Ben switched to the short passing game and how long it took to get going.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 1

On 5/19/2022 at 2:24 PM, H2o said:

I know there are varying opinions of Levi Wallace, but I was never a big fan. He was decent, but was usually the guy that gave up the big plays or key first downs in his time here. He was the one who got roasted on the slant by Hill for the 65 yard TD. All you saw was Levi diving face first while swiping at his feet and being left in the dust. To me, that summed up his time here. If Tre is not pre-injury Tre then we could be in some trouble. Elam is a rookie, Jackson was decent but not great, and after them two it's a bunch of J.A.G.'s on the outside. 

While yes, of course, Wallace couldn't always win his matchups. Especially against really BIG/physical WRs (see also: Davonte Parker/Preston Williams) or really FAST WRS (see also: Tyreek Hill). Thing is, lots of CBs will struggle against elite physical specimens from time-to-time. Wallace probably even played his best ball in 2021. But his athletic ceiling kept him from being able to consistently match-up against more gifted WRs in isolated sets. Imagine that. 

He's better than most Bills fans will remember, yet not good enough to be more than a solid CB2/3, depending on the system. He represented HUGE value in his years here. Naturally, I hope the Bills absolutely torch him when they play Pittsburgh. 

14 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Our teams weakness is lack of heart. How often do we hear about the commitment level from players outside of Allen, Diggs, Davis, and White? Why do we never hear stories about our o-linemen being gym rats and studying film, soaking up knowledge without being asked (Allen tight end school), or our d-linemen? 
Elam so far seems to be another proactive player (playbook monster), so it’s glad to hear that. What about our other rookies? 

I think you are really reaching here.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2

D-line.  

Need to see an entire new group gel and come together quick.  

Lost both starting edge guys.  

Need Groot to be big.  

Need Oliver to play like he wants to be a top 5 DT

Need Miller to be at least 80% of peak Von Miller.   

Need a lot from guys we haven't had before.   

Maybe a weakness isn't right.  But to me it's the biggest question mark now.  

Got to be Oline. Saffold struggles at pass blocking, Bates is still unproven as a full season starter and Brown had many issues in pass pro last season. Hope they can learn to play as a unit quickly, tough early schedule.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The biggest weakness on the Bills is Tremaine Edmunds. His weaknesses coming into his rookie year, continue to be his weaknesses as he enters his 5th season.  He lacks the ability to diagnose plays fast, takes terrible pursuit angles, gets swallowed up by blocks and is easily fooled by misdirection anf play action. Hes also an awful blitzer ("coincidentally" one of Bernards strengths)

The better QBs we faced last year, mainly Brady and Mahomes singled out Edmunds in pass coverage and continually picked on him.

If you watch the Bucs game winning TD pass in OT on the shallow drag by Perriman, key in on Edmunds movements. He has the correct leverage on Perriman and then he runs toward him instead of with him and gives up that entire side of the field.  Once Perriman catches the ball, Edmunds has a low, but still slight chance to dive at Perrimans ankles to trip him up, yet he never even attempts to.

I know Edmunds is a polarizing player amongst the fan base, but when you see the better teams continually pick on him it tells you something.  I think the Bernard pick has a lot to do with how the Bills internally view Edmunds.  They know they need better LB play, and I think Bernard might get a lot more reps than most expect, especially as the season progresses.

6 hours ago, Estro said:

The biggest weakness on the Bills is Tremaine Edmunds. His weaknesses coming into his rookie year, continue to be his weaknesses as he enters his 5th season.  He lacks the ability to diagnose plays fast, takes terrible pursuit angles, gets swallowed up by blocks and is easily fooled by misdirection anf play action. Hes also an awful blitzer ("coincidentally" one of Bernards strengths)

The better QBs we faced last year, mainly Brady and Mahomes singled out Edmunds in pass coverage and continually picked on him.

If you watch the Bucs game winning TD pass in OT on the shallow drag by Perriman, key in on Edmunds movements. He has the correct leverage on Perriman and then he runs toward him instead of with him and gives up that entire side of the field.  Once Perriman catches the ball, Edmunds has a low, but still slight chance to dive at Perrimans ankles to trip him up, yet he never even attempts to.

I know Edmunds is a polarizing player amongst the fan base, but when you see the better teams continually pick on him it tells you something.  I think the Bernard pick has a lot to do with how the Bills internally view Edmunds.  They know they need better LB play, and I think Bernard might get a lot more reps than most expect, especially as the season progresses.

The Buccs winning touchdown came on a poor playcall by Leslie. He called a blitz and I still don't know why. Most of the worst plays we gave up on defense over the season were being burned blitzing. It is not when this defense is at its best.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Estro said:

Edmunds is a significant limiting factor for sure..........but the OL was truly awful for much of last season and their depth situation is(on paper) worse now.......so that has to be the biggest weakness, IMO.  125 combined pressures and sacks in 2021 was horrendous.   

But the biggest potential improvement the defense could make would be the light coming on for Edmunds.    There are a ton of plays to be made in the middle in this defense.   It's what is lost on a lot of the people that defend Edmunds.   It's not just disappointing results wrt the routine.    He should be an NFLDPOY candidate in this defense with his physical tools.

I believe it is very unlikely that he elevates his game significantly after 4-5 seasons.............but that did happen with Demario Davis........who took 6 years for it to click and then he's been at or near All Pro level since.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds is a significant limiting factor for sure..........but the OL was truly awful for much of last season and their depth situation is(on paper) worse now.......so that has to be the biggest weakness, IMO.  125 combined pressures and sacks in 2021 was horrendous.   

But the biggest potential improvement the defense could make would be the light coming on for Edmunds.    There are a ton of plays to be made in the middle in this defense.   It's what is lost on a lot of the people that defend Edmunds.   It's not just disappointing results wrt the routine.    He should be an NFLDPOY candidate in this defense with his physical tools.

I believe it is very unlikely that he elevates his game significantly after 4-5 seasons.............but that did happen with Demario Davis........who took 6 years for it to click and then he's been at or near All Pro level since.   

@GoBills808

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, Pete said:

lil dirty too.  Plus we are loaded at TE.  And Cook is a WR playing RB

In six seasons, McKenzie’s biggest year was 282 yards, we are far from “loaded” at TE, Knox is above average the rest of the room hasn’t combined to put together a good TE season if you take their best career accomplishments.  Cook is a rookie RB who couldn’t break the starting line up in College, let’s not crown the guy just yet.   Sorry, but reality is, this team is NO WHERE NEAR as “stacked” as people want to believe.  If this was the team Tyrod had, people would be claiming he didn’t get a fair shot because he only has one small WR and a bunch of questions around him.  Allen is the strength of the O and elevates the players around him.   Outside of Diggs, there is nobody who would be a guaranteed starter on any other team for skill positions on this team.  Knox would be better than a lot of teams have, but it’s not by a wide margin.  Davis didn’t start over Sanders and we cut Beasley, the talent is thin.  Davis is going to have to go from being the 4th/5th option last year to the 2nd this year, that’s a big ask.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

In six seasons, McKenzie’s biggest year was 282 yards, we are far from “loaded” at TE, Knox is above average the rest of the room hasn’t combined to put together a good TE season if you take their best career accomplishments.  Cook is a rookie RB who couldn’t break the starting line up in College, let’s not crown the guy just yet.   Sorry, but reality is, this team is NO WHERE NEAR as “stacked” as people want to believe.  If this was the team Tyrod had, people would be claiming he didn’t get a fair shot because he only has one small WR and a bunch of questions around him.  Allen is the strength of the O and elevates the players around him.   Outside of Diggs, there is nobody who would be a guaranteed starter on any other team for skill positions on this team.  Knox would be better than a lot of teams have, but it’s not by a wide margin.  Davis didn’t start over Sanders and we cut Beasley, the talent is thin.  Davis is going to have to go from being the 4th/5th option last year to the 2nd this year, that’s a big ask.

No you’re not. But this post is.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:07 PM, Awwufelloff said:

What is this teams biggest weakness this year?

CB depth/talent?

Offensive Line?

Coaching?

If our season doesn't go as planned what will be the culprit? 

Fans not knowing to be quiet when team is on offense?

Bills have had worse records at home and not just due to weather which affects both teams.

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Ok, so go ahead and show me where I’m wrong, I’ll wait.

Knox would start comfortably for at least 20 teams in the NFL. There is 1 for starters. 

I actually don't think you are a million miles off otherwise. I think Gabe is more than capable of stepping up. He should have been on the field ahead of Sanders all year last year. He outplayed him totally. If there is one question of this regime it is that tend to overtrust old, pro's pro type guys - Sanders, Hughes, Addison etc. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Knox would start comfortably for at least 20 teams in the NFL. There is 1 for starters. 

I actually don't think you are a million miles off otherwise. I think Gabe is more than capable of stepping up. He should have been on the field ahead of Sanders all year last year. He outplayed him totally. If there is one question of this regime it is that tend to overtrust old, pro's pro type guys - Sanders, Hughes, Addison etc. 

I think we all love Knox, and I agree with you.  To my point, he’s above average, that means he should start for about 20 teams.  I have faith in Gabe stepping up, but he hasn’t done it.  The next highest paid WR after Diggs is Crowder who managed to only get 4M on the open market.  Anybody thinking this team has WR depth/talent is a bit misguided.

We can add William Fuller to the list of names that won’t be on the Bills roster.  

He signed with Baltimore- 1 year deal.  Financials not announced. 

Mods, feel free to move this to a more suitable thread.  I didn’t think it deserved its own and couldn’t find a better spot for it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.