Biggest Weakness?

Awwufelloff

22 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

So you are saying the Bills are this good despite McD. 

Why not just roll with no coach.  Save some money.  If it fails blame Edwards next. 

Yeah, I can't really get those saying coaching is biggest weakness. I mean sure there have been moments coaching can be frustrating as hell. IMO I think they absolutely CAN NOT be that bad in crucial situations in a big time game. That's the only time that really sticks out to me because only other thing ppl had with coaching was many saying he is too conservative and wouldn't take risk. That part changed nearly completely. He will go for it on 4th downs pretty often taking risk a lot more. At same time though coaching has played a big factor getting the team where they are as one of the best in the league along with the family like closeness all the players have with each other.

I think biggest reason for some at least, that feel that way about coaching may possibly be the 13 seconds that will only be forgotten by winning the Super Bowl, until then that 13 seconds I would guess most of us or maybe pretty much all of us were yelling and cussing at the t.v or at the game etc wondering wtf the coaches were thinking. That punch in the gut maybe was too powerful and is 95% why some feel that way.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

All your comments on coaching, I disagree with:

1. Colts game: was more about our lack of physicality. No coincidence we basically turned over the entire dline in 1 offseason.

2. 13 seconds: alot went wrong, but if you want to point a finger at coaching, then let's start with the ST coordinator....now gone.  Next, looking at how we aligned to defend the chiefs, no way Wallace played his position correctly or Milano was out of position.  I'd put that on players.  If anything, I would have ran a 3 man line and brought in Neal as an extra DB...thats the only mistake I could see, no saying that would have worked though.

3. TB OT game: our defense shut them down most of that 2nd half.  It wasn't Edmunds role to play that WR 1-1 on that play, he scraped off his "man" making it appear like it was.   TB executed well and caught us in a look, I'm not blaming the staff after they made great adjustments throughout.

I'm in the camp thinking we had an "average" dline last year...at times good, other times they were a liability.  Coaches schemed ways to make this a #1 unit, plus below average competition at several points helped too.  Let's see what happens with the makings of a more well-rounded defensive group.

Lets take a long look at each of those games. 

Colts: after the game the members of the media asked the coaches why stay with the same eleven players on defense. The response by Bills DC Leslie Frazier was that with a "stacked box" they should have been able to stop the run. They clearly weren't able to... and this changed later on in the season as the defense started subbing in bigger players in run situations. It's also been noted that Frazier liked to keep his defense in "Nickle" most of the time. 90.3% of their defensive snaps with 5 DB's on the field. 

13 seconds: with a 92.4 chance of winning the game on this KO with 13 seconds. The kick off, a squib could have also been returned for better field position or a TD with Tyreek Hill returning. Yes, less time on the clock... but who knows?  There was a supposed communication gap somewhere between the coaches, players. Stuff happens. 

More importantly the Buffalo defensive scheme went prevent. Which meant that only the 4 down linemen were at the line of scrimmage. The rest of the defense was deep with them playing 10-15 yards off the line and all behind the first down line, the two safeties were each 30 yards deep. 

The way the Bills played KC in that prevent, Mahomes hit Hill 5 yards beyond the LoS and he turned it into a 19 yard gain. The next play Frazier had his players move up a bit but after the snap they dropped into a soft zone and Mahomes hit Kelce who found a hole in the zone. 

Two of the very best receivers in the NFL not closely covered, not jammed at the line...

The very next game the Bengals were in a similar situation and they stayed with their base defense and stopped KC. The old adage that the only thing a prevent defense does is prevent the win... certainly proved true in this case.

A #1 defense doesn't give up 552 yards of offense in a playoff game. 

TB game: Dunno about any scraping...but re-watching that play, Edmunds was the only player near Perriman. Safety help? A MLBer shouldn't need to cover a WR on a 58 yard TD pass. I see a flawed defense that lost Buffalo that game. Players, coaching, questionable. 

I like Leslie Frazier...although, I was hoping he would move on like Daboll.

IMHO, Buffalo had the talent in 2021 to win that Colts game, the Tampa game, the Patriots first game, the Steelers game and that Jaguars game! The Bills win against NE and the Jags and they have home field. 

Buffalo had the #1 defense stat wise. Still, this was against several back up QB's, rookie QB's and bad teams. Washington 7-10 back up QB, Houston 4-13 back up QB, Jacksonville rookie QB (who they lost to) 3-14. NY Jets rookie QB and a back up QB 2x, 4-13, Carolina 5-12 back up QB, Falcons 7-10. 

Yes, changes have been made this off season. We shall see if they work out. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I think our biggest weakness is stopping the run. How many times on 3rd and whatever do we get gashed for 15 plus yards.

This 100%. I really don't understand why people say coaching. This staff is amazing, we have been SB contenders for going on 3 years straight. That's not easy to do, it all begins with the front office and coaches.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Outside WR depth.  I don't see a player on this roster that can effectively fill in for Diggs or Davis when they need a breather (or get injured).  

talent at WR in general is a problem on this team.  Diggs is a known commodity, but Davis has never been a full time starter, after that, who do you have?  Legitimately, nobody better than a 5th round draft choice.   Personally, I think they blew it not adding to the WR room.   If Davis steps up (I think he will), it should be ok, but we have to really hope nobody gets hurt or we are looking at a bringing back Robert Foster.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

How do you know it wasn’t adequately addressed? Cuz we didn’t sign high priced free agents or Draft a Guard in the 1st Round? Imo, if we did, our Practice Squad OL would be poached by mid season. Our OL is good enough to be among the very best offenses in the League. No QB is better from or out of the pocket and no QB is more dangerous running the ball. He’s also pretty damn good when he has all day to find an open receiver, which happens regularly.

We’re fine. There are no glaring weaknesses on this team.

The question was about weaknesses, not glaring weaknesses.  Clearly, the Bills roster is very strong and have no glaring weakness. 

OL depth is a concern to me.   The interior OL may be adequately addressed if Saffold delivers and if we stay healthy.  It’s about depth.  Maybe Kromer makes Ford a better player?  That is another factor. 

Our QB is great he and makes others around him better, especially the OL.  That is obvious.  

• Like (+1) 1

1. CB position depends on Tre's injury, return date and how long before he is up to speed.

2.Offensive Line/Power Running, still concerned that we will struggle getting the short 1-3 yard gains for a 1st down or at the goal line.  Will Zack improve enough to fill this role, hell will he even be on the sidelines on gameday.  Can the line open holes when these short gains are needed.  

I am of the firm believe that Tre is not going to start the season

I need to see how these young kinds are going to do until they actually do it........I like Dane.....I think physically he is a little behind and has to be covered up by the safeties.   As a 3rd corner I love him.

Elam has ALL the tools......but I need to see it on the field.

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

talent at WR in general is a problem on this team.  Diggs is a known commodity, but Davis has never been a full time starter, after that, who do you have?  Legitimately, nobody better than a 5th round draft choice.   Personally, I think they blew it not adding to the WR room.   If Davis steps up (I think he will), it should be ok, but we have to really hope nobody gets hurt or we are looking at a bringing back Robert Foster.

lil dirty too.  Plus we are loaded at TE.  And Cook is a WR playing RB

15 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

The team is better than in any of the last 30 seasons. But the AFC competition top to bottom, right now, is better than it’s ever been. 

No and yes.

ALL of the SB teams were better than this team.    They were absolutely loaded.  And the 1999 team was more talented too, relative to the style of football played then,  than this one.  That one had a wide open path to winning a SB that year......without question the best Bills defense post merger..........and they screwed the pooch not getting home field and got HR throwbacked on the road( a lot like the 2021 Bills, really).    

Post free agency a lot of things have happened that have gradually distributed talent around the league MUCH more evenly.    It took a while because rookie deals used to be longer(1st rounders got 7 year deals in the 90's) and there were more ways to restrict movement with tags and teams didn't know how to manage the salary cap and were afraid to use guarantees etc..   And then the rules changes in 2010 to protect QB's and bolster the passing game have gradually changed the league from being dominated by a handful of elite QB's to one where A LOT of teams have franchise QB's capable of winning a SB.   

Which is how the competition is now better than it's ever been........at least in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, Jauronimo said:

Leselie Frazier.  Its great that we blow out chumps and hang shutouts on marginal QBs but I don't trust this defense to get stops or make big plays against good offenses in critical situations.

Our defense in the playoffs will always terrify me. We've seen it historically way too often.  We couldn't get off the field in 4 SB's. And recently we couldn't come up with the big stop against Houston or KC when we needed it.  Honorable mention goes to "in game" blunders by coaches. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

23 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Lets take a long look at each of those games. 

Colts: after the game the members of the media asked the coaches why stay with the same eleven players on defense. The response by Bills DC Leslie Frazier was that with a "stacked box" they should have been able to stop the run. They clearly weren't able to... and this changed later on in the season as the defense started subbing in bigger players in run situations. It's also been noted that Frazier liked to keep his defense in "Nickle" most of the time. 90.3% of their defensive snaps with 5 DB's on the field. 

13 seconds: with a 92.4 chance of winning the game on this KO with 13 seconds. The kick off, a squib could have also been returned for better field position or a TD with Tyreek Hill returning. Yes, less time on the clock... but who knows?  There was a supposed communication gap somewhere between the coaches, players. Stuff happens. 

More importantly the Buffalo defensive scheme went prevent. Which meant that only the 4 down linemen were at the line of scrimmage. The rest of the defense was deep with them playing 10-15 yards off the line and all behind the first down line, the two safeties were each 30 yards deep. 

The way the Bills played KC in that prevent, Mahomes hit Hill 5 yards beyond the LoS and he turned it into a 19 yard gain. The next play Frazier had his players move up a bit but after the snap they dropped into a soft zone and Mahomes hit Kelce who found a hole in the zone. 

Two of the very best receivers in the NFL not closely covered, not jammed at the line...

I like Leslie Frazier...although, I was hoping he would move on like Daboll.

IMHO, Buffalo had the talent in 2021 to win that Colts game, the Tampa game, the Patriots first game, the Steelers game and that Jaguars game! The Bills win against NE and the Jags and they have home field. 

Buffalo had the #1 defense stat wise. Still, this was against several back up QB's, rookie QB's and bad teams. Washington 7-10 back up QB, Houston 4-13 back up QB, Jacksonville rookie QB (who they lost to) 3-14. NY Jets rookie QB and a back up QB 2x, 4-13, Carolina 5-12 back up QB, Falcons 7-10. 

Yes, changes have been made this off season. We shall see if they work out. 

On the bolded we now know that based on the look that is what should have happened and Levi screwed the pooch - and credit to him for holding his hand up to it. 

Going back to those 90's Buffalo Bills SB teams. They had a better offensive line with pro bowlers at LT, LG, C. Wolford, Ritcher, Hull, with the latter an all pro too. They also had a superstar at RB in Thurman Thomas who was also a 1st team all pro... who could do it all. A Marshall Faulk before Faulk. Very few teams could stop that Buffalo running attack.

It's my opinion that the current Buffalo offensive roster aside from the O line is better. In QB, receivers, TE. This current team isn't going to ask a RB to go 270-300 rushing attempts either. Singletary does have a very respectable rushing yard per attempt average. 5.1, 4.4. 4.6. Thomas averaged 4.8 in those SB seasons.

While those 90 Bills had a fierce pass rush in being built for speed, LDE Seals, 6'5'' 265 lbs. NT Jeff Wright, 6'.2'', 274 lbs. Bruuuce 6'4'' 264 lbs. LOLB Biscuit 6'2'' 237 lbs. LILB Conlan 6'3'' 235 lbs. RILB Bentley 6'2'' 240 lbs. ROLB Talley 6'4'' 235 lbs. This defense had great difficulty is stopping a power run team like we saw in that 90 SB against the NYG. 

They would get a lead and not look back with their pass rush. 

The current Buffalo defense, (2019 was #2 in points allowed, #3 in yards allowed.) (2020, #16, #14.) (2021 #1 overall. #1 in pass defense, #13 in rush defense, #26 in rushing TDs allowed.)

LB Von Miller ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LG Rodger Saffold ++++ pro bowler in 2021 for Tenn. 

DT Tim Settle +++++ steal in FA

DT Daquan Jones +++++pass rusher and run stuffer

DT Jordan Phillips

RB Duke Johnson

TE OJ Howard +++++

WR Jamison Crowder +++++

QB Case Keenum

QB Matt Barkley

The 2022 Buffalo Bills might be a #1 overall defensive unit again! Only this season not against scrub teams and backup QBs. That offense could also be a #1 unit with Crowder in the slot, Howard at TE helping an already top offense. Not to mention the draft picks.

(Besides, Beane might still not be done depending on how that secondary looks going forward)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.