Biggest Weakness?

Awwufelloff

5 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I think our biggest weakness is stopping the run. How many times on 3rd and whatever do we get gashed for 15 plus yards.

Third and whatever? 

How many times? Tell us. If it's a lot, you're right. I'm guessing you're wrong.

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Biggest weakness is interior OL and OL depth in general.  This is the only area that was not adequately addressed unless Saffold has a good year and there are no major injuries.  

How do you know it wasn’t adequately addressed? Cuz we didn’t sign high priced free agents or Draft a Guard in the 1st Round? Imo, if we did, our Practice Squad OL would be poached by mid season. Our OL is good enough to be among the very best offenses in the League. No QB is better from or out of the pocket and no QB is more dangerous running the ball. He’s also pretty damn good when he has all day to find an open receiver, which happens regularly.

We’re fine. There are no glaring weaknesses on this team.

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

How do you know it wasn’t adequately addressed? Cuz we didn’t sign high priced free agents or Draft a Guard in the 1st Round? Imo, if we did, our Practice Squad OL would be poached by mid season. Our OL is good enough to be among the very best offenses in the League. No QB is better from or out of the pocket and no QB is more dangerous running the ball. He’s also pretty damn good when he has all day to find an open receiver, which happens regularly.

I feel so much better now.  Thx. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well - the oline wasn't very good last year.  We're counting on development more than anything else.  

Spencer Brown is now a starter whithout daryl williams behind him for depth.  Bates is now a starter without feliciano behind him.  Bates also is now likely playing RG, where he has limited playing time.  

Feliciano and Williams gone as other options.  Boettger won't be ready to start the season.  Ford is not a good player.  Neither is Hart.  Who knows about Doyle.

I get that they don't need to be like good players that you've heard of - they are backups.  But the ones that I've seen are pretty bad.

Beyond that, are we sure the starters are good?  Brown struggled a ton last year.  Love the attitude, but the penalties and pass pro issues could become a problem.  Bates is switching sides and has like 300 career snaps.  Saffolds never been an impressive pass protector.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I think Allen made Daboll, not the inverse.

Gotta give Daboll more credit than this. I continue to feel that Josh doesn't become the Josh he is on many other teams. Daboll had a lot to do with that.

Josh's drive and work ethic certainly mattered alot, but I think Daboll had a lot of influence in that too.

More Josh than Daboll, but certainly some Daboll.

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I think Allen made Daboll, not the inverse.

Ironic that I’m reading this only minutes after NFL Network talking about Dabol’s achievement as O coordinator and citing Allen’s success.  The feature was considering if Dabol can do the same with D Jones.
I had that exact thought as you that Allen was more responsible for Dabol’s success than the other way around. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well - the oline wasn't very good last year.  We're counting on development more than anything else.  

Spencer Brown is now a starter whithout daryl williams behind him for depth.  Bates is now a starter without feliciano behind him.  Bates also is now likely playing RG, where he has limited playing time.  

Feliciano and Williams gone as other options.  Boettger won't be ready to start the season.  Ford is not a good player.  Neither is Hart.  Who knows about Doyle.

I get that they don't need to be like good players that you've heard of - they are backups.  But the ones that I've seen are pretty bad.

Beyond that, are we sure the starters are good?  Brown struggled a ton last year.  Love the attitude, but the penalties and pass pro issues could become a problem.  Bates is switching sides and has like 300 career snaps.  Saffolds never been an impressive pass protector.  

Terrible take. Why are you spending time being concerned about players who weren’t good enough to stay here? At this rate, you’re better off finding another team to pull for 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

What is this teams biggest weakness this year?

CB depth/talent?

Offensive Line?

Coaching?

If our season doesn't go as planned what will be the culprit? 

All of the above!

The season opener the Bills face the rams with Cooper Kupp, Matt Stafford which might be a very daunting task for the Buffalo secondary. 

Again, in this first game we will see how well that offensive line holds up against Aaron Donald & Co. 

Me, I'm not sold that the Bills O line is as good as it could be. 

Probably my biggest concern is with the Buffalo defense in stopping the run.

The Bills should find out early if the run defense is good enough as they face the Colts in pre season, week one. 

The AFC East division.

The New England Patriots who love to run the ball to set up their passing game. They have some really good RBs and drafted another in the 4th this year.

The NY Jets drafted RB Breece Hall which many Bills fans were clamoring about. He along with Michael Carter could pose a big problem.  

The Miami Dolphins hired the 49ers run game coordinator in Mike McDaniel's! Who we know will want to build a power run scheme like he ran in SF.

Of the first six games, The Titans week 2, Dolphins week 3, Ravens week 4, Steelers week 5. will all work that run game.

Lastly, coaching!

If we see a repeat of a team run the ball like the Colts did last season against the Bills, 46 rushes for 246 yards, 4 TDs. They played keep the ball away by running it. With Carson Wentz at QB 🤢

Or, the 13 seconds fiasco with the Buffalo secondary guarding the sidelines and leaving the middle open.

Or, as in the Tampa Bay game in which the Bills MLBer was covering a WR...TD, end of game in OT! 

Buffalo might have had the #1 defensive stats...top defenses don't give up 552 yards of offense in a playoff game.

Same crap or have things been fixed? 

Not to mention the Bills have a new OC and will he be as good or better?

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Ironic that I’m reading this only minutes after NFL Network talking about Dabol’s achievement as O coordinator and citing Allen’s success.  The feature was considering if Dabol can do the same with D Jones.
I had that exact thought as you that Allen was more responsible for Dabol’s success than the other way around. 

Funny you say this. I spoke to someone that works part time for the Giants, just this past week. He mentioned this exact thing. Said Daboll was going to do for Jones what he did for Allen.

6 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Absolutely agree and pretty obvious imo. Can't see anyone arguing with that for the most part. Had some good plays here and there from Daboll, but I would guess many of those plays don't succeed without Allen.

That being said.....I will go with run stopping as biggest weakness, or at least it was. Although I do believe that will improve this upcoming season with the addition of new meats on the DL. Least I hope anyways

If stopping run is our biggest weakness, the team will have been built exactly as it should. Nobody is going to be able to keep up with this offense by running.

The run first teams we lost to last year were when our OL was a mess. Dawkins has covid. Bates hadn't been found. Daryl looked like a shell of the previous year, leading to rookie starting.

We have Beach Chairs, added some vets and better continuity

7 hours ago, teef said:

i think herpes is the only thing that can bring this to a screeching halt.  

Speaking of the ol herp, you ever notice that area right above her top lip sometimes? It can be more noticeable some days than others? I have always wondered if she got the herp

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If stopping run is our biggest weakness, the team will have been built exactly as it should. Nobody is going to be able to keep up with this offense by running.

The run first teams we lost to last year were when our OL was a mess. Dawkins has covid. Bates hadn't been found. Daryl looked like a shell of the previous year, leading to rookie starting.

We have Beach Chairs, added some vets and better continuity

Yeah I see your point. I was going with those big chunk runs from last season mainly. Teams will still run though, until they can't anyways. They will early in the game though

10 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Funny you say this. I spoke to someone that works part time for the Giants, just this past week. He mentioned this exact thing. Said Daboll was going to do for Jones what he did for Allen.

I believe Dabol did a good job as coordinator. But he can thank Beane and McD for putting the pieces in place to allow him to shine. Allen gave him a versatile weapon that allowed him to be far more creative than he could have been with a less athletic man under center. 

32 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

All of the above!

The season opener the Bills face the rams with Cooper Kupp, Matt Stafford which might be a very daunting task for the Buffalo secondary. 

Again, in this first game we will see how well that offensive line holds up against Aaron Donald & Co. 

Me, I'm not sold that the Bills O line is as good as it could be. 

Probably my biggest concern is with the Buffalo defense in stopping the run.

The Bills should find out early if the run defense is good enough as they face the Colts in pre season, week one. 

The AFC East division.

The New England Patriots who love to run the ball to set up their passing game. They have some really good RBs and drafted another in the 4th this year.

The NY Jets drafted RB Breece Hall which many Bills fans were clamoring about. He along with Michael Carter could pose a big problem.  

The Miami Dolphins hired the 49ers run game coordinator in Mike McDaniel's! Who we know will want to build a power run scheme like he ran in SF.

Of the first six games, The Titans week 2, Dolphins week 3, Ravens week 4, Steelers week 5. will all work that run game.

Lastly, coaching!

If we see a repeat of a team run the ball like the Colts did last season against the Bills, 46 rushes for 246 yards, 4 TDs. They played keep the ball away by running it. With Carson Wentz at QB 🤢

Or, the 13 seconds fiasco with the Buffalo secondary guarding the sidelines and leaving the middle open.

Or, as in the Tampa Bay game in which the Bills MLBer was covering a WR...TD, end of game in OT! 

Buffalo might have had the #1 defensive stats...top defenses don't give up 552 yards of offense in a playoff game.

Same crap or have things been fixed? 

Not to mention the Bills have a new OC and will he be as good or better?

All your comments on coaching, I disagree with:

1. Colts game: was more about our lack of physicality. No coincidence we basically turned over the entire dline in 1 offseason.

2. 13 seconds: alot went wrong, but if you want to point a finger at coaching, then let's start with the ST coordinator....now gone.  Next, looking at how we aligned to defend the chiefs, no way Wallace played his position correctly or Milano was out of position.  I'd put that on players.  If anything, I would have ran a 3 man line and brought in Neal as an extra DB...thats the only mistake I could see, no saying that would have worked though.

3. TB OT game: our defense shut them down most of that 2nd half.  It wasn't Edmunds role to play that WR 1-1 on that play, he scraped off his "man" making it appear like it was.   TB executed well and caught us in a look, I'm not blaming the staff after they made great adjustments throughout.

I'm in the camp thinking we had an "average" dline last year...at times good, other times they were a liability.  Coaches schemed ways to make this a #1 unit, plus below average competition at several points helped too.  Let's see what happens with the makings of a more well-rounded defensive group.

Sheer number of tough games in a brutal conference. What is their focus going to be like from game to game? Cannot half ass games as they did a few times last season with this schedule this year

Edited by BubbaT

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

McDermott is the weakest link in this chain.

Has been for some time.

So you are saying the Bills are this good despite McD. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Coaching, IMO, is the limiting factor on this team. If they stay out of the weeds, they're pretty unstopppable

Why not just roll with no coach.  Save some money.  If it fails blame Edwards next. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.