Jimbo vs Saban

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Jimbo vs Saban

I do think he’s seeing the recruiting landscape change with NIL, and kids are making their decisions based on immediate $ vs the long term winning/NFL payoff, which creates much more parity than there has been. But he wasn’t really accusing Jimbo of cheating which is how he seemed to take it. It was really a message to the Alabama boosters, which is who he was addressing with the comments, that they need to come up with more $. The TAMU alumni base and boosters (among others) have deeper pockets and he knows that. 

Jimbo seemed to take it as a personal attack. Which I can see to some degree, that he said he bought his whole class (as if that’s the only reason a kid would commit to play in college station). But he meant that Bama needs to kick the cash up a bit if they want to stay on top of the recruiting rankings. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do think he’s seeing the recruiting landscape change with NIL, and kids are making their decisions based on immediate $ vs the long term winning/NFL payoff, which creates much more parity than there has been. But he wasn’t really accusing Jimbo of cheating which is how he seemed to take it. It was really a message to the Alabama boosters, which is who he was addressing with the comments, that they need to come up with more $. The TAMU alumni base and boosters (among others) have deeper pockets and he knows that. 

Jimbo seemed to take it as a personal attack. Which I can see to some degree, that he said he bought his whole class (as if that’s the only reason a kid would commit to play in college station). But he meant that Bama needs to kick the cash up a bit if they want to stay on top of the recruiting rankings. 

This was just the start of the evolution/chaos.  Saban is a dinosaur and too slow to recognize the trends.

College system was dysfunctional for decades before NIL but now they are effectively paid athletes, not much more than employees which also means they can start to sue (CTE anyone), demand more from the Universities, maybe unionize.....we are only in the third inning on this.  . Everyone was bitching and moaning about the exploited student athlete not getting paid, well they found a "loophole" around it.  People are going to beg for the old system to come back, the NFL got their free farm system and Collège football made Billions.

Lets see how this all plays out, it has just started.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saban did apologize today saying he shouldn’t have named a single person/school, but it seemed clear to me he was asking for donors to step up. I don’t think he likes the current trend in recruiting, and at his age I wonder if NIL doesn’t affect how long he remains.  I think Jay Wright of Villanova just didn’t like the direction of things, and said enough is enough. I made my mark, and I have all the money I need. The cesspool is rising, and I prefer a seat on the sidelines. 

I’m all for some level of player mobility, and they should be paid what they’re worth, but I don’t know how they fix this mess, or what college sports will look like in a decade. 

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2022 at 5:26 PM, wppete said:

Loving this feud! I’m on team Jimbo on this one. Week 6 Alabama vs Texas A&M going to be amazing. 

Two West Virginia boys going at it.  To be bigger than the Hatfields vs. McCoys

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 7:24 AM, nucci said:

Saban's pissed because good players are going to other schools now

It's a little different than that.

Between 2018 and 2021, Texas A&M signed a total of 5 5 star players. 

In 2022 they signed 7. 

If you don't think that this happened because the players were bought, I don't know whay to tell you. And btw, Saban didn't say that it was illegal. He did imply that the NCAA should have rules regarding NIL. Do you disagree?

On 5/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

This was just the start of the evolution/chaos.  Saban is a dinosaur and too slow to recognize the trends.

Yeah, OK. Being in the last 2 title games (and winning one of them) and utilizing the transfer portal better than perhaps all the other teams combined are indications that Saban is mentally slow. 

Do you have any more profound comments about college football that you would like to share? ;) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In 2022 they signed 7. 

If you don't think that this happened because the players were bought, I don't know whay to tell you. And btw, Saban didn't say that it was illegal. He did imply that the NCAA should have rules regarding NIL. Do you disagree?

I didn't say players weren't bought and didn't say Saban said it was illegal. Yes, I agree there should be rules regarding NIL.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

In 2022 they signed 7. 

Yeah, OK. Being in the last 2 title games (and winning one of them) and utilizing the transfer portal better than perhaps all the other teams combined are indications that Saban is mentally slow. 

Do you have any more profound comments about college football that you would like to share? ;) 

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

In 2022 they signed 7. 

I was referencing the NIL which has been in place since June of last year so the impact on the last two titles games has been insignificant, certainly totally irrelevant for the  one two years ago..

Understand?

Yes, what other profound comments can I help you with?  Saban's reaction/lashing out is exactly a reflection of what I wrote, he is dinosaur and he lost Alabama's incredible advantage in recruiting.  And yes he might win some more titles in the future but he is going to have to adapt and get lucky, the days of Alabama dominating College football are ending.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I was referencing the NIL which has been in place since June of last year so the impact on the last two titles games has been insignificant, certainly totally irrelevant for the  one two years ago..

Understand?

Yes, what other profound comments can I help you with?  Saban's reaction/lashing out is exactly a reflection of what I wrote, he is dinosaur and he lost Alabama's incredible advantage in recruiting.  And yes he might win some more titles in the future but he is going to have to adapt and get lucky, the days of Alabama dominating College football are ending.

You are oozing with jealousy and hate. Do you care to disclose which college team that you root for?

Coach Saban is 70 years old. Predicting the downfall of Alabama is not a really daring thing to do. I think that if they win the title this year (which they are favored to do) it will not temper your anger and flat out jealousy, nor the contempt that you hold for the greatest college coach who ever lived. 

Either way, be well and GO BILLS!!! 

14 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You are oozing with jealousy and hate. Do you care to disclose which college team that you root for?

Coach Saban is 70 years old. Predicting the downfall of Alabama is not a really daring thing to do. I think that if they win the title this year (which they are favored to do) it will not temper your anger and flat out jealousy, nor the contempt that you hold for the greatest college coach who ever lived. 

Either way, be well and GO BILLS!!! 

I am "oozing with jealousy and hate"?     Actually I am trying to control my laughter.

You might wan to calm down.  

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am "oozing with jealousy and hate"?     Actually I am trying to control my laughter.

You might wan to calm down.  

Fair enough. Hate was an admitted stretch. Jealousy? Sounds like a reasonable conclusion. Btw, who IS your college team?

On 6/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

It says ATM right on daggum helmet. 

This is great. 🤣

My QB at Ohio state driving around cbus in a 150k Bentley that he got from a deal with a local dealership. Times sure have changed. he and one our WR also have a cool million in some NIL deal with Express where they model the clothes. Whatever - it’s a whole new world. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.