Taron Johnson Appreciation Thread

JerseyBills

Just now, cwater10 said:

Great list!  But I have to speak up for one of my all time favorite unsung Bills heroes.  Wasn't it Bill Simpson, who was literally signed out of the stands to replace an injured Jeff Nixon the previous season, that saved the game vs Jets?  I think he had 2 pics on the day...  Still angry about JoJo.  Worst basketball call ever!

I stand corrected. Well played.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, yee of little knowledge.. smfh 🤦‍♂️

-12/24/64 Chargers @ Bills AFL Title game. SD shreds Bills on an all too easy quick TD Drive to start the game. We punt. SD begins shedding us again until.. Rote tries a swing pass to Lincoln in the flat. Enter Mike Stratton. Exit San Diego Chargers.

-12/26/65 Bills @ Chargers AFL revenge Title game. Closely fought battle until Butch Byrd returns punt 75 yards for a TD. Bills Defense knocks out SD QB and the Chargers for Back to Back Championships.

-12/31/80 In a ‘win and in’ finale, Bills Defense knocks down Joe Montana Hail Mary to defeat the 49ers and give Bills 1st Eastern Division Championship since ‘65.

-12/27/81 After blowing out the Jets early on, Jets came storming back and reached the 5 yard line with seconds to play to win. Jeff Nixon intercepted Todd to preserve WC Victory.

-1/2/92 In what is thought to be the best Defensive Playoff game in Championship history, Jeff Wright and Carlton Bailey sniffed out Elway’s attempt at a center screen with Bailey intercepting and returning for a TD in a 10-7 Title Game win.

-1/17/93 After 4 straight AFCE Titles, the Dolphins wrested the Division from Buffalo and were at home for the AFC Title Game, with Marino’s last real chance to return to the Super Bowl. Until.. an ill-fated sideline throw was batted up and intercepted by Phil Hanson. Bills would quickly score to put the game out of reach, winning 29-10.

These are mostly title games. There are many more single game heroics including coming back from 2 scores down with under 2 minutes to beat Miami on a Kelly keeper on the final play.

was Taron’s INT TD Return a huge play? Absolutely. Was it the winning play? No. Win/preserve a title? No. Franchise Greatest play? No. Merely among them.

I get it, though. With a city whose claims to sports fame are ALL disastrous, we’ll grasp at anything that isn’t.

-Johnny Robinson’s 75 yard INT

-Bernie Parent

-JoJo White Fantom Foul with no time on the clock

-Fouts to Smith

-Wide Right

-Reed throws helmet

-Thurman loses helmet

-Thurman fumble

-No Goal

-13 seconds

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

He did say one of the franchises greatest plays, and that I agree with. I realize I am a younger fan, but the AFL championships really do not mean as much to me. Being the best of 10 teams is less impressive to me then winning the AFC title game (and being the best of 16 teams). Not saying the plays aren’t among the franchise’s greatest (couldn’t really comment on that because I was not around for it).

I would argue that the Taron pick 6 was the game winning play. Bills were up 10-3, but the Ravens offense was the best it had looked all night and were in the red zone threatening to tie the game up. The pick 6 ended that and gave the bills all the momentum, winning the game. Could the Bills have won without that play? Yes. Would they have? Very hard to say, they would have lost the momentum and very likely would have been in a tie game entering the fourth quarter, which would have been anyones game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, yee of little knowledge.. smfh 🤦‍♂️

-12/24/64 Chargers @ Bills AFL Title game. SD shreds Bills on an all too easy quick TD Drive to start the game. We punt. SD begins shedding us again until.. Rote tries a swing pass to Lincoln in the flat. Enter Mike Stratton. Exit San Diego Chargers.

-12/26/65 Bills @ Chargers AFL revenge Title game. Closely fought battle until Butch Byrd returns punt 75 yards for a TD. Bills Defense knocks out SD QB and the Chargers for Back to Back Championships.

-12/31/80 In a ‘win and in’ finale, Bills Defense knocks down Joe Montana Hail Mary to defeat the 49ers and give Bills 1st Eastern Division Championship since ‘65.

-12/27/81 After blowing out the Jets early on, Jets came storming back and reached the 5 yard line with seconds to play to win. Jeff Nixon intercepted Todd to preserve WC Victory.

-1/2/92 In what is thought to be the best Defensive Playoff game in Championship history, Jeff Wright and Carlton Bailey sniffed out Elway’s attempt at a center screen with Bailey intercepting and returning for a TD in a 10-7 Title Game win.

-1/17/93 After 4 straight AFCE Titles, the Dolphins wrested the Division from Buffalo and were at home for the AFC Title Game, with Marino’s last real chance to return to the Super Bowl. Until.. an ill-fated sideline throw was batted up and intercepted by Phil Hanson. Bills would quickly score to put the game out of reach, winning 29-10.

These are mostly title games. There are many more single game heroics including coming back from 2 scores down with under 2 minutes to beat Miami on a Kelly keeper on the final play.

was Taron’s INT TD Return a huge play? Absolutely. Was it the winning play? No. Win/preserve a title? No. Franchise Greatest play? No. Merely among them.

I get it, though. With a city whose claims to sports fame are ALL disastrous, we’ll grasp at anything that isn’t.

-Johnny Robinson’s 75 yard INT

-Bernie Parent

-JoJo White Fantom Foul with no time on the clock

-Fouts to Smith

-Wide Right

-Reed throws helmet

-Thurman loses helmet

-Thurman fumble

-No Goal

-13 seconds

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Great list. I would rank Johnson's pick 6 in the playoffs just behind Mike Stratton's hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MPL said:

Oh man, love some Taron Johnson. I love even more that his NFL career started with him taking a football straight to the face at the NFL combine. 

What happened to type video about the combine doink and Steelers play

I think it was made a few weeks before the Baltimore play

101 INT TD in Divisional versus Baltimore and breakdown of play.

(PS at 0:23 how good is the Edmunds failure to wrap up Snead LOL)

Johnson is one of my 5 favorite players on the team. Very good nickel corner, and has a lot of responsibility as a starter.

One of the best individual defensive plays in a big time game since the 1990s teams. Many have noted the Carlton Bailey and Mike Stratton plays among others.

Edited by RocCityRoller

Johnson has been excellent.  

I think he loses playing time in the slot this year to Terrel Bernard, as the Bills move to more 4-3 alignments.  I also think that as that move happens, Johnson will begin to be more of a factor as a corner or safety.  He's too solid to keep off the field. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Great list. I would rank Johnson's pick 6 in the playoffs just behind Mike Stratton's hit.

Could you imagine what it would have been like had Taron Johnson's playoff pick 6 had occurred in front of a packed house at The Ralph?

We could have had a moment on the Richter scale.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

He did say one of the franchises greatest plays, and that I agree with. I realize I am a younger fan, but the AFL championships really do not mean as much to me. Being the best of 10 teams is less impressive to me then winning the AFC title game (and being the best of 16 teams). Not saying the plays aren’t among the franchise’s greatest (couldn’t really comment on that because I was not around for it).

I would argue that the Taron pick 6 was the game winning play. Bills were up 10-3, but the Ravens offense was the best it had looked all night and were in the red zone threatening to tie the game up. The pick 6 ended that and gave the bills all the momentum, winning the game. Could the Bills have won without that play? Yes. Would they have? Very hard to say, they would have lost the momentum and very likely would have been in a tie game entering the fourth quarter, which would have been anyones game.

Argue with yourself all day about woulda, shoulda, coulda. They didn’t score again and their QB was knocked out of the game. #Facts

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he loses playing time in the slot this year to Terrel Bernard, as the Bills move to more 4-3 alignments.  I also think that as that move happens, Johnson will begin to be more of a factor as a corner or safety.  He's too solid to keep off the field. 

More 4-3?  I'm not sure about that.  McD and Frazier have been doing well in a 5-2.  

4 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Be careful, you don’t want to upset the Civil War veterans.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

More 4-3?  I'm not sure about that.  McD and Frazier have been doing well in a 5-2.  

If you look at the thread about Bernard when he was drafted, there was a lot of discussion about this.   I don't really know, of course, but there are a lot of things that make me think we're going to see more 4-3 this season.  These aren't all my thoughts, but they were said in that thread.

First and foremost, Bernard isn't likely to be a safety.   Possible, I suppose, but not likely.  He's a linebacker.   He isn't big enough to replace Edmunds and play in the middle, and he isn't likely to take Milano's job.  Milano has a new contract.   All of that means that the only place he's likely to play is as the third linebacker.   The Bills wouldn't have burned a third-round pick on a guy just to play special teams.  

Second, McDermott's base defense in Carolina was 4-3.  

Third, Bernard on the field instead of Johnson gives the coaches greater flexibility in calling the defense.  I can imagine the Bills lining up in a 4-3 look, (something they couldn't do with Johnson on the field, because Johnson isn't a linebacker), but having assignments shift pre-snap.   Because of his speed and pass coverage abilities, Bernard, could assume the role of the run stopping safety, and one of the safeties could move up to take the slot receiver.   So, in that case, the Bills get the benefit of playing nickel without having shown nickel.  

Fourth, Bernard on the field instead of Johnson gives the Bills more varied blitzing possibilities.  

Plus, it seems from the reports that Bernard is one of those guys who, frankly, is a lot smarter than the average football team, a guy who has a football IQ that far exceeds most of the players on the Bills or any other team.  He has an ability to understand what's going on in real time that makes him likely to be a unique asset on the field.  

The Bills drafted him to play somewhere, linebacker seems to be the only position that he's physically suited for on a regular basis, and he's not going to displace the other two linebackers.   Johnson looks to me like the guy who is going to have step aside.   And, as I said, I think Johnson may find another role.   He certainly can work as the third cornerback, and he may be a safety in training.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Argue with yourself all day about woulda, shoulda, coulda. They didn’t score again and their QB was knocked out of the game. #Facts

Neither did the bills though. Taron Johnson doesn’t make that interception it likely becomes 10-10. If you’re making that argument, why would you include the ‘93 game vs. the Dolphins where the bills won 29-10. A pick 6 is a potential 14 point swing, and by that woulda coulda shoulda logic that interception had no outcome on the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Neither did the bills though. Taron Johnson doesn’t make that interception it likely becomes 10-10. If you’re making that argument, why would you include the ‘93 game vs. the Dolphins where the bills won 29-10. A pick 6 is a potential 14 point swing, and by that woulda coulda shoulda logic that interception had no outcome on the game.

Calm down, son.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Stating "#Facts " on a hypothetical opinion is an interesting polemic tactic, not sure it adds any real value or credibility.

I agree with Watkins, that INT was the game winner.  What happened after that was all a factor of that INT.  Ravens at home with a come from behind to tie the score, total momentum changer. After that INT the Ravens were beat/deflated.

So yes, call it woulda , shoulda, coulda but that is the way I see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If you look at the thread about Bernard when he was drafted, there was a lot of discussion about this.   I don't really know, of course, but there are a lot of things that make me think we're going to see more 4-3 this season.  These aren't all my thoughts, but they were said in that thread.

First and foremost, Bernard isn't likely to be a safety.   Possible, I suppose, but not likely.  He's a linebacker.   He isn't big enough to replace Edmunds and play in the middle, and he isn't likely to take Milano's job.  Milano has a new contract.   All of that means that the only place he's likely to play is as the third linebacker.   The Bills wouldn't have burned a third-round pick on a guy just to play special teams.  

Second, McDermott's base defense in Carolina was 4-3.  

Third, Bernard on the field instead of Johnson gives the coaches greater flexibility in calling the defense.  I can imagine the Bills lining up in a 4-3 look, (something they couldn't do with Johnson on the field, because Johnson isn't a linebacker), but having assignments shift pre-snap.   Because of his speed and pass coverage abilities, Bernard, could assume the role of the run stopping safety, and one of the safeties could move up to take the slot receiver.   So, in that case, the Bills get the benefit of playing nickel without having shown nickel.  

Fourth, Bernard on the field instead of Johnson gives the Bills more varied blitzing possibilities.  

Plus, it seems from the reports that Bernard is one of those guys who, frankly, is a lot smarter than the average football team, a guy who has a football IQ that far exceeds most of the players on the Bills or any other team.  He has an ability to understand what's going on in real time that makes him likely to be a unique asset on the field.  

The Bills drafted him to play somewhere, linebacker seems to be the only position that he's physically suited for on a regular basis, and he's not going to displace the other two linebackers.   Johnson looks to me like the guy who is going to have step aside.   And, as I said, I think Johnson may find another role.   He certainly can work as the third cornerback, and he may be a safety in training.  

One evidence on his potential use is Beane talk about losing veterans and due to money issues having to cut Klein which he thought did a great job as fill in for Bills.  He then mentioned Bills signed Bernard but mentioned he does not have his size.  Bernard would likely be tasked to replace Milano when he is out but cannot attempt to replace Edmunds in this defense which Klein did when he was out.   He also has injury problems and until he can show he can be available when needed I doubt Bills are depending on revamping defense to fit him in.

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I would be shocked if we move to a 4-3 outside of goal line defenses since last year we did not go to the 4-3 during the NE wind game when we knew they would not throw. I think they should use a 4-3 more but I doubt it

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I would be shocked if we move to a 4-3 outside of goal line defenses since last year we did not go to the 4-3 during the NE wind game when we knew they would not throw. I think they should use a 4-3 more but I doubt it

Obviously, I don't know, but I think the change wouldn't be such a big deal.  All they'd be doing is swapping out one guy for another, where the new guy is just a little bigger and just a little slower.  What do the Bills get making the change?   A lot more flexibility in the defense, more versatility, more ways to create deception and uncertainty about what the defense will be.  

It wouldn't be the 4-3 they ran with Klein.  It wouldn't be a goal line defense.  

I just don't think the Bills would burn a third-round pick on a special teamer and a spot substitute.  I think they intend for him to be on the field, and linebacker is the only place he can play. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.