Taron Johnson Appreciation Thread

JerseyBills

You guys can look at my post history. I made a post after his first couple starts in his rookie year. He has been a staple to this defense and secondary, just a great nickel CB and the pick 6 against Baltimore, sealing an AFC Championship appearance was legendary. 

I saw this on Twitter and just wanted to share my appreciation for 24 on here. He was a phenomenal draft pick and a ferocious Inside DB. He's going to get paid next year! Super underrated. Possibly the most underrated player on the whole team!

Edit - My post 4 years ago about Taron. Loved this kids game from day 1! Pardon me, I forgot about his 3 year extension.  He will definitely get a nice pay day again imo. Such a stud and underrated piece to this defense

Double edit- This isn't about me , just wanted to show that I appreciated his game since day 1!

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Busy guy, 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

You guys can look at my post history. I made a very long post after his rookie year. He has been a staple to this defense and secondary, just a great nickel CB. 

I saw this on Twitter and just wanted to share my appreciation for 24 on here. He was a phenomenal draft pick and a ferocious Inside DB. He's going to get paid next year! Super underrated. 

That defensive stops stat is indicative of exactly why Taron Johnson GOT PAID ALREADY. He's such a perfect fit for the Bills defense as a tenacious, aggressive player near the LOS who also happens to have developed a knack for playmaking in coverage as well. He'll be here for at least two more seasons as his extension is only now kicking in for the next three seasons (team could get out of the deal after 2023 with minor dead cap). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

My fault. He got a 3 year extension in 2020 I believe. Not sure about the # change but I know him as 24

I hear ya.. I can barely keep track of all the number swaps. I think, key word think, he’s #7 now. I’m too lazy to hit Google and someone will correct it if I’m wrong lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I hear ya.. I can barely keep track of all the number swaps. I think, key word think, he’s #7 now. I’m too lazy to hit Google and someone will correct it if I’m wrong lol. 

I rarely research the points I'm making on here before hitting "Submit Reply." It's fun to see if my thinking is sound or stupid based on responses from more informed posters.

Just so happens I DID check out Taron Johnson's Spotrac page a week or three ago so the surprising fact that he's signed through 2024 is still fresh in my mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

You guys can look at my post history. I made a post after his first couple starts in his rookie year. He has been a staple to this defense and secondary, just a great nickel CB and the pick 6 against Baltimore, sealing an AFC Championship appearance was legendary. 

I saw this on Twitter and just wanted to share my appreciation for 24 on here. He was a phenomenal draft pick and a ferocious Inside DB. He's going to get paid next year! Super underrated. 

Edit - My post 4 years ago about Taron. Loved this kids game from day 1! Pardon me, I forgot about his 3 year extension.  He will definitely get a nice pay day again imo. Such a stud and underrated piece to this defense 

so is this a Taron appreciation thread or a “look at me I was right about this guy thread”? Cuz i can’t tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He switched to his HS# 7 now.  Elam is wearing 24.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

so is this a Taron appreciation thread or a “look at me I was right about this guy thread”? Cuz i can’t tell.

I vote for both.  LAMP appreciation post

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Ughhhh...

Reading it back, it's definitely a little bit of both. I'm not 1 to boast , I just saw this PFF post and wanted to make a post myself. But I also pumped myself up as well. Not something I ever do on this board but I feel a connection to 24, I saw his play from day 1 and knew he was a baller , so , ya I'm flexing a bit! 😁

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 5

So I will say I was NOT a fan of Johnson for a while. It seemed every single time a ball was thrown his way it was caught and it went either for a first down or a touchdown. Then things seemed to start clicking for him and it seemed to really come together just before that Pittsburgh game when he got the pick 6. He has certainly made me eat crow and I must say I am very happy to do so! 

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I will say I was NOT a fan of Johnson for a while. It seemed every single time a ball was thrown his way it was caught and it went either for a first down or a touchdown. Then things seemed to start clicking for him and it seemed to really come together just before that Pittsburgh game when he got the pick 6. He has certainly made me eat crow and I must say I am very happy to do so! 

He has been mainly excellent as a Bill but that Pittsbugh INT did come after the roughest stretch of his career early in 2020. He rebounded with two huge pick 6s - Steelers and then Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Johnson has one of the top plays in franchise history if not the greatest.

Oh, yee of little knowledge.. smfh 🤦‍♂️

-12/24/64 Chargers @ Bills AFL Title game. SD shreds Bills on an all too easy quick TD Drive to start the game. We punt. SD begins shedding us again until.. Rote tries a swing pass to Lincoln in the flat. Enter Mike Stratton. Exit San Diego Chargers.

-12/26/65 Bills @ Chargers AFL revenge Title game. Closely fought battle until Butch Byrd returns punt 75 yards for a TD. Bills Defense knocks out SD QB and the Chargers for Back to Back Championships.

-12/31/80 In a ‘win and in’ finale, Bills Defense knocks down Joe Montana Hail Mary to defeat the 49ers and give Bills 1st Eastern Division Championship since ‘65.

-12/27/81 After blowing out the Jets early on, Jets came storming back and reached the 5 yard line with seconds to play to win. Jeff Nixon intercepted Todd to preserve WC Victory.

-1/2/92 In what is thought to be the best Defensive Playoff game in Championship history, Jeff Wright and Carlton Bailey sniffed out Elway’s attempt at a center screen with Bailey intercepting and returning for a TD in a 10-7 Title Game win.

-1/17/93 After 4 straight AFCE Titles, the Dolphins wrested the Division from Buffalo and were at home for the AFC Title Game, with Marino’s last real chance to return to the Super Bowl. Until.. an ill-fated sideline throw was batted up and intercepted by Phil Hanson. Bills would quickly score to put the game out of reach, winning 29-10.

These are mostly title games. There are many more single game heroics including coming back from 2 scores down with under 2 minutes to beat Miami on a Kelly keeper on the final play.

was Taron’s INT TD Return a huge play? Absolutely. Was it the winning play? No. Win/preserve a title? No. Franchise Greatest play? No. Merely among them.

I get it, though. With a city whose claims to sports fame are ALL disastrous, we’ll grasp at anything that isn’t.

-Johnny Robinson’s 75 yard INT

-Bernie Parent

-JoJo White Fantom Foul with no time on the clock

-Fouts to Smith

-Wide Right

-Reed throws helmet

-Thurman loses helmet

-Thurman fumble

-No Goal

-13 seconds

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, yee of little knowledge.. smfh 🤦‍♂️

-12/24/64 Chargers @ Bills AFL Title game. SD shreds Bills on an all too easy quick TD Drive to start the game. We punt. SD begins shedding us again until.. Rote tries a swing pass to Lincoln in the flat. Enter Mike Stratton. Exit San Diego Chargers.

-12/26/65 Bills @ Chargers AFL revenge Title game. Closely fought battle until Butch Byrd returns punt 75 yards for a a TD. Bills Defense knocks out SD QB and the Chargers for Back to Back Championships.

-12/31/80 In a ‘win and in’ finale, Bills Defense knocks down Joe Montana Hail Mary to defeat the 49ers and give Bills 1st Eastern Division Championship since ‘65.

-12/27/81 After blowing out the Jets early on, Jets came storming back and reached the 5 yard line with seconds to play to win. Jeff Nixon intercepted Todd to preserve WC Victory.

-1/2/92 In what is thought to be the best Defensive Playoff game in Championship history, Jeff Wright and Carlton Bailey sniffed out Elway’s attempt at a center screen screen with Bailey intercepting and returning for a TD in a 10-7 Title Game win.

-1/17/93 After 4 straight AFCE Titles, the Dolphins wrested the Division from Buffalo and were at home for the AFC Title Game, with Marino’s last real chance to return to the Super Bowl. Until.. an ill-fated sideline throw was batted up and intercepted by Phil Hanson. Bills would quickly score to put the game out of reach, winning 29-10.

These are just title games. There are many more single game heroics including coming back from 2 scores down with under 2 minutes to beat Miami on a Kelly keeper on the final play.

was Taron’s INT TD Return a huge play? Absolutely. Was it the winning play? No. Franchise Greatest play? No. Merely among them.

I get it, though. With a city whose claims to sports fame are ALL disastrous, we’ll grasp at anything that isn’t.

-Johnny Robinson’s 75 yard INT

-Bernie Parent

-JoJo White Fantom Foul with no time on the clock

-Fouts to Smith

-Wide Right

-Reed throws helmet

-Thurman loses helmet

-Thurman fumble

-No Goal

-13 seconds

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Great list!  But I have to speak up for one of my all time favorite unsung Bills heroes.  Wasn't it Bill Simpson, who was literally signed out of the stands to replace an injured Jeff Nixon the previous season, that saved the game vs Jets?  I think he had 2 pics on the day...  Still angry about JoJo.  Worst basketball call ever!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.