Strongest Conference Foe

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People are under estimating the Raiders.  Not only do I think the Raiders will make the playoffs, but I think they will challenge to win their division.  They get to the QB better than any team in their division, they have a lot of weapons on offense, and they shown they could win the close games last year, things all their divisional rivals struggled with.  

An offense led by Carr and featuring Devante Adams, Renfrow and Darren Waller is going to be tough to defend, plus they have a strong running game as well.  Adding Chandler Jones to that pass rush should see them lead the division in sacks.  

KC has big questions on both sides of the ball and turnover losing key players.  While you cant count out Mahomes, I think its reasonable they are in line for a struggle in their own division this year, plus they still have to play us as well.  This is a team I could see winning the division and at the same time seeing them miss the playoffs all together.  Its going to really come down to what kind of impact their rookies and young players can make, especially someone like Skyy.  

LAC were terrible in all 3 phases of their defense last year, so I don't think an aging Mack who hasn't had double digit sacks in 3 years and JC to the secondary is going to turn that defense around.  Could it be improved, sure...but I still think its no better than 3rd in the division.  Not to mention, their best play makers seem to all struggle with staying healthy.  

Den added Wilson, but he is coming off a down year, in a new system, and doesn't have the same level of weapons to work with.  And while I agree that Denver has a solid WR group, I don't think they are as good as DK and Lockett are, nor do they have the same rapport and chemistry with Wilson that takes time to develop.  And now one has been arrested and involved in some off field issues.  They also lost Noah Fant in the trade.  

I totally get why anyone would make a case for any of these 4 to win the division, there is a valid argument for all of them.  But the least talked about team I think could be a sleeper and surprise some people this year out there in Las Vegas.  They kept all of their key players in tact and added major playmaker to both sides of the ball to get even better.  And Adams and Carr already played with each other in college too, shouldn't take them long to get comfortable with each other.  

Good take but you left out the Raiders may have one of the weakest HCs in the league.  McDaniels will have a better QB than he did in Denver but he was still a failure in his first stint as a HC.  Add the fact the Belichick tree is littered with failures, I have them 1 game ahead of Denver in third place

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good take but you left out the Raiders may have one of the weakest HCs in the league.  McDaniels will have a better QB than he did in Denver but he was still a failure in his first stint as a HC.  Add the fact the Belichick tree is littered with failures, I have them 1 game ahead of Denver in third place

Thats certainly a fair rebuttal, he is a major question mark

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats certainly a fair rebuttal, he is a major question mark

It's the trenches for me. While Kolton Miller has got better if he is still your left tackle you have offensive line issues and he is arguably their best starter up front. Vernon Butler is currently expected to start at defensive tackle, and while they do have good looking edge rush with Crosby and Jones the interior of their Dline leaves something to be desired. I know I sound boringly coach like in saying "it starts up front" but that is still true and that is where I think the biggest questions are for the Raiders. 

As for the answer to the question, I'd go Chargers too. To me the two best rosters in the conference top to bottom are Buffalo and Los Angeles. 

• Like (+1) 1

KC until we can beat them in the playoffs.

Cincinnati.  IMO the Bengals are again running under the radar.  They improved their O-line substantially and like the Bills sport an elite QB.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

In order:

Bengals 

I agree. Living in Cincinnati I can see how much they improved their O-line and they have an elite QB. And their D is underrated.

I also think there is a bit of the 2021 Browns in all the hype around the Broncos & Chargers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Bills vs. Chargers in the AFC Title Game this year is my prediction, so I go with the Chargers as strongest foe. 

Ravens will also be very good. Last year their entire team was hammered by injuries before the season even got going. Then Lamar got hurt as well. 

Browns are the AFC's version of the Cowboys. If the NFL were like the college system the Cowboys and Browns would be voted into the 4 team playoff every year. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

When talking AFC Conference, As of now, I don't see how KC isn't the biggest still. 

As for Division I guess I'd go with Fins

KC is going to have their hands full trying to win their own division. My pick for the west is the Chargers but you could make a case for any of the four teams. Assuming the Bills win the east then a Bills-Chiefs playoff game next season probably takes place in OP. I think we get by the Chiefs this season.  If Miami had a QB I would say they could challenge the Bills but they don't. 

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

KC is going to have their hands full trying to win their own division. My pick for the west is the Chargers but you could make a case for any of the four teams. Assuming the Bills win the east then a Bills-Chiefs playoff game next season probably takes place in OP. I think we get by the Chiefs this season.  If Miami had a QB I would say they could challenge the Bills but they don't. 

Their Division definitely will be tougher. I'm just saying it still has to be KC until we can take them out in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Their Division definitely will be tougher. I'm just saying it still has to be KC until we can take them out in the playoffs.

Losing Hill tips the scales in the Bills favor. Without Hill then covering Kelce becomes easier. You are right if the Bills play them in the playoffs then they will have to prove it on the field. Of course beating them in the regular season will go along way in getting a playoff game vs them in OP. I know that didn't help last year but with the AFCW being stronger it probably makes a difference this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Much to my surprise, the Colts have a really tough schedule. They are matched-up against the dreaded AFC West.

It’s surprisingly tough, check it out…

That makes me feel better about our chances to get home-field…

Mark my words though… The Bills defense is going to need time.

I don’t like it, but I think that it is a reality.

The Defensive Line? They don’t even know eachother. Five new DL.

The ends? Von and three kids. Are they ready? They Should be. No rookies at least.

Do they have the talent? We’re going to find out.

Then we don’t know when Tre is going to be ready and we all know what our D is like without Tre…

We have a great rookie on the other side but still, he’s a rookie, he is going to take some time….

I see our defense really molding into something after our Bye. I think it ends up being much better than last year.

Once they get to really know eachother and start to play for eachother. Once they get to know Buffalo and start playing for the fans.

Once they but into the defense (I hope they buy into the defense, I hope Leslie has them Billieving, I hope so) and Once Tre and Kaiir are comfortable. Once Kaiir is a part of that D just as comfortable as the other four starters in the secondary. And on the same page with the front six. I think it’s going to take time.

I think this is OK as our team, our offense and our STs are pretty strong. We can get by and get some wins without the best defense.

My only worry is that we lose too many games early to win home-field. I think barring injuries, our team really takes off after that bye. The NFL will question whether the Bills can beat the better teams after this but the answer to that question is an astounding YES. We will be a very different by the end of the year as the defense catches up to the offense and STs…. I think the Bills really kick ass in the playoffs this year if they avoid the injury bug. Once Tre, Hyde, Poyer, TJ and Kaiir marry, once the Von gets that DL to also marry, Tremaine links the DL and the Secondary and we kick the s*** out of teams. 

KC is the biggest foe until the Bills prove they're better. Getting home field is mandatory. Denver, LA, and Vegas are all capable of winning a playoff game, but not in Buffalo come January. Baltimore has to prove they have enough weapons in the passing game to scare the Bills. If the Bills can show a multidimensional offense with an actual running threat, the opposition better score 30 or more. Let's see how Miller and our young D-line play against good offenses. If they dominate, I don’t think we will be denied. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bengals won 4 games in 2020 and won the AFC in 2021.

So no, a team doesn't have to show they can make the playoffs before they make a SB run.

They have to show it before I believe they are the strongest conference foe.

Nobody thought the Bengals were the strongest conference foe heading into last season.

• Like (+1) 1

Tough question to answer, but as of today (on paper) I’d say the following:

1. Chiefs. Until they either fall off or we vanquish them, they are the biggest threat. We know we can hang, we know we can win, and we know they lost a few pieces this off-season, but they’re always a tough out. I think with their division making strides they aren’t as potent and not as big a threat for the #1 seed, but they won’t go down without a serious bloodbath of a fight.

2. Colts. Yes, they somehow missed the playoffs last year, but they crushed us regular season, and the 2020 playoff came was down to the wire: I think Ryan is capable of doing at least as good as Rivers. JT is a freak, and we still struggle with the run a little bit.

3. Bengals. They were a good team that nearly won the Super Bowl last year, and they got better this off-season. Joey B is great, Chase is a beast, and while they may be good I still think we can pull off a win.

4. Ravens. They literally all got hurt last year. They’re going to bounce back and give the Bengals a run for their money for that division. That being said, we know how to defend Lamar, and we are good at it.

5. Chargers. Great skill players, great qb, good defense. They have the pieces to go far, but play in a tough division where they are gonna have to really earn their spot. Also; they tend to be hurt a lot 

6. Broncos. A great team with some solid defensive players. Russ is great for them but he isn’t Russ form 2012 anymore. 

It's the Colts and it isn't even close. Matt Ryan is capable and they are loaded everywhere else. 

Chargers have to show they don't choke

Chiefs have to overcome their defense and loss of Hill

Broncos need to show they can put it together

Ravens aren't very good. Lamar is starting to get some injuries. Their defense has weakened, their top WR is gone, what run game and can they figure out how to not get injuried?

Bengals are a bit flukey. Bad OLine and average defense. I think they caught some teams by surprise lazt year.

Dolphins - Tua sucks

Titans - what WRs?

Browns - if Watson plays > WRs? Secondary?

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's the trenches for me. While Kolton Miller has got better if he is still your left tackle you have offensive line issues and he is arguably their best starter up front. Vernon Butler is currently expected to start at defensive tackle, and while they do have good looking edge rush with Crosby and Jones the interior of their Dline leaves something to be desired. I know I sound boringly coach like in saying "it starts up front" but that is still true and that is where I think the biggest questions are for the Raiders. 

As for the answer to the question, I'd go Chargers too. To me the two best rosters in the conference top to bottom are Buffalo and Los Angeles. 

Wow we agree. The universe may end now.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

They have to show it before I believe they are the strongest conference foe.

Nobody thought the Bengals were the strongest conference foe heading into last season.

Well either way really.........Vegas ranks the Chargers as the #3 team in the AFC behind Buffalo and KC so they like their odds regardless of whether they've proven anything or not.

But if what "nobody thought" made any difference then the preseason favorites wouldn't mean much.

It's generally proven to be about a 15% chance that the preseason SB favorite cashes that ticket since the last repeat champion.    

The Bills are the consensus "favorite" this year but in some places they are given as little as a 7% chance.    For comparison sake........the Chiefs were given a 19% chance at the same gaming company last year.

One of the late 2010's NE teams was a heavy favorite........given a 28% chance in preseason..........so if what people think is your barometer then I wouldn't get too carried away with the Bills favorite status.    The competition is seen as fierce.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.