Bills(every Bills player and coach)/Bandits/Sabres arrive by the busload to help feed the community

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah but you guys get some crazy ice storms don't you?  Plus I would much rather have snow than a cold rain which I am sure falls there in the winter too as precip...

Yeah summers are brutal in that part of the country...well really in like 75% of the country...I will take our summers pretty much over anywhere...

I always said unless winters are in the 70s, it's not worth having to put up with summer heat AND winter cold

I’m near Raleigh and we seem to be in a really good pocket, no real major weather.  The ice comes when you get some rain overnight, it freezes on the roads.  It’s hysterical listening to the people here all warning you about “black ice” as if you have never seen such a thing in NY.  They don’t have salt here, but it warms up to above freezing by like 10 am, so it’s no issue if you aren’t in an emergency to get somewhere and nothing is open anyway, they shut everything down with a threat of ice lol.    The over nights get cold for about a month and then the days are mid 50’s to 60’s most of the winter, very few days it might only get to the mid 40’s.  But that’s really only January- mid Feb.  I have drank beers on the patio, in shorts, for New Years here 😂.  Every year, I put up Christmas decorations in my shorts and sweat my ass off on the roof.  The “winter” is basically fall in NY and lasts ~1- 2 months.   Spring sports start at the end of February, so that kinda paints the picture.  July and August are pretty brutal, but oddly, it’s not much more humid than WNY and only a little warmer most of the time, difference being it’s consistently high 80s to low 90s and WNY gets a few cooler days and it actually cools off when it rains, that’s not really the case here, it dips a little, but the increased humidity makes it still feel just as hot.  

It’s all a matter of preference.  For me, the longer season to be outside is big, I used to get absolutely miserable from about November through March in NY.  I don’t have that seasonal issue here, I just get up early to beat the heat for a couple months and I can still comfortably go outside year round and feel ok doing it.   I can drive 2 hours south to get considerably warmer (SC is usually a LOT warmer, puzzles me a little), about 4 hours west to the mountains if I want more winter like conditions and the ocean is about 1.5 hours east if I feel like being covered in sand and hating myself for a day.   NY is definitely a “prettier” state, especially the Adirondack region vs the Smokey Mtns, but here you stay warmer and avoid the snow and of course the taxes.  I wouldn’t move back, but I sure will make it back in the fall to see the ADK area again and catch a couple games at the Ralph ( idk what they call it), before the end of the real tailgating era. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

There is an Aldi and Save A Lot 1.9 miles away at the Broadway Market which is a 6 minute car ride.

6 minutes. Not 10. Not 15. Not 30. Not 45. Six.

I'm stunned the narrative being written is like this is the only store within an hour drive of the residents there when it simply isn't true and the picture being painted is completely erroneous to the situation that actually exists.

Believe it or don't, in those communities not everyone has a car or can drive

Sometimes people choose a rental in part because it's a close walk to services they need

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They’re standing in front of Woodlawn park basketball courts!! Lots of local legends played there 

Twin Fair

Twin Fair was decades ahead of its time (Super Walmart/Target)!  ...With groceries,  everything concept 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Believe it or don't, in those communities not everyone has a car or can drive

Sometimes people choose a rental in part because it's a close walk to services they need

Plenty of people don't understand this sort of thing. For me, growing up on the eastside, it was normal for families not to have a vehicle. Simply couldn't afford it. Some people will never understand the difference of how they grew up and what was normal to them compared to others.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah there was a Bells near us too in the Cleve Hill Plaza when I was growing up...now it's an ECMC Dialysis clinic. 

Also had a Your Host restaurant...

My grandmother was a waitress at Your Host for years.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm old enough to remember when there were multiple food stores in the area. There were the B-Kwik markets that were up and down Jefferson Avenue. The A&P market between E.Ferry and Brunswick Blvd. Mr& Mrs. Cromer had their little market on E. Ferry near Doris Records that provided fresh produce. This was a thriving community at one point in time. The community I grew up in

My Mother grew up in Cold Springs and says similar about what it was.

Outside of Doris Records, I don’t recall any of that when I was coming up.  Leader Drugs on the corner of East Ferry and Jefferson, the Jeff-Ferry Deli, Scottie’s and Tony’s Red Hots.  And the Churche’s chicken that was around for a minute.   Supermarket shopping would be at the Central Park Plaza Belles or Tops.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Plenty of people don't understand this sort of thing. For me, growing up on the eastside, it was normal for families not to have a vehicle. Simply couldn't afford it. Some people will never understand the difference of how they grew up and what was normal to them compared to others.

Yep.  People giving each other rides to the store was routine.  A lot of elderly people.   Many of the very people who were killed.  Out of all the things I’m disgusted by with this crime, the fact that joker killed elders...  

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Exactly, it forces families to make a choice; take a bus/cab get what you can (assuming you can afford a decent trip - to reduce the need to go back for a while) or rely upon convenience stores to fill the gaps at a 20-30% price hike. At least where I grew up off Grant St, you had Guercio's and a few other meat markets that weren't 'Wilson Farms'. I think that optimally, some of the money being raised should be used as seed money to start a co-op. Similar to the Lexington co-op, the community can be the owners and help provide a secondary source of food supply at reasonable prices.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

I grew up on the Eastside also and worked over by the Broadway Market and Kensington/Bailey neighborhoods for over 10 years...I am well aware of the vehicle situation and how things work in the hood. 

31 minutes ago, purple haze said:

My Mother grew up in Cold Springs and says similar about what it was.

Outside of Doris Records, I don’t recall any of that when I was coming up.  Leader Drugs on the corner of East Ferry and Jefferson, the Jeff-Ferry Deli, Scottie’s and Tony’s Red Hots.  And the Churche’s chicken that was around for a minute.   Supermarket shopping would be at the Central Park Plaza Belles or Tops.

Don't forget Gigi's

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I grew up on the Eastside also and worked over by the Broadway Market and Kensington/Bailey neighborhoods for over 10 years...I am well aware of the vehicle situation and how things work in the hood. 

I don't think anyone is trying to start an argument with you, but you questioned the 'food desert' tag because another store is 1.8 miles away. I live exactly 1.8 miles from the Bills stadium. I could walk that. Not sure if I could carrying groceries. Now do it in 18 inches of snow. Now do all that at 60 years old.

This message and your last don't align.

EDIT - And you have plenty of supportive posts in this thread. Honestly, I am amazed at the overall positive response to the post. I generally expect a population of 'that's nice but' folks to chime in. Glad that hasn't been the case. #buffalove

Edited by Westside Madness

Just now, Westside Madness said:

I don't think anyone is trying to start an argument with you, but you questioned the 'food desert' tag because another store is 1.8 miles away. I live exactly 1.8 miles from the Bills stadium. I could walk that. Not sure if I could carrying groceries. Now do it in 18 inches of snow. Now do all that at 60 years old.

This message and your last don't align.

Bus lines, bikes, catch a ride with someone else or more like pay someone to take you, walk, etc...

Walking 1.8 miles isn't ideal but it's not some outrageous distance either. I know people who walked further than that to work and back each day.

I used to watch people walk up and down my street from the Langfield projects heading to Bells to go shopping back in the day growing up which was about that far.

Our society is simply used to everything being easy and convenient and when something is a little bit inconvenient it's treated as some major thing when really it's just an inconvenience.

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Don't forget Gigi's

Loved Gigi’s, but rarely went.  A lot of food in there I could get at either of my grandparents houses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.