Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Counter: if it was a unilateral hold out he wouldn’t have been paid or accrued a season. 

they came to a mutual agreement. 

sitting out a full year in your prime, even if paid, is a consequence he’s experienced, however you quantify that 

If the texans wanted him on the field they could have fined him the whole way for not doing so though. 

This is certainly all true, but it doesn’t mean they have established a punishment from the league. The NFL will have their say in the end. 

2 hours ago, Rigby said:

If that 4-6 games actually turns out to be the truth, then it is a downright travesty and pathetic. But this is the NFL we are talking about.

The NFL already made their case for a full season suspension. Sue Robinson is not deciding the suspension length. She is merely deciding if Watson's actions are punishable under the NFL's personal conduct policy. If she finds in favor of the NFL she will recommend a suspension length but the NFL will ultimately make that final decision. I can't see why they would do anything other than a full season given that they have made the case for it already.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The NFL already made their case for a full season suspension. Sue Robinson is not deciding the suspension length. She is merely deciding if Watson's actions are punishable under the NFL's personal conduct policy. If she finds in favor of the NFL she will recommend a suspension length but the NFL will ultimately make that final decision. I can't see why they would do anything other than a full season given that they have made the case for it already.

I believe there was a report the NFL wouldn't overrule the prosecutor if it was a six to eight game suspension.  Maybe she gives him four and the NFL gives him six.  This seemed preordained for a while now.

54 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder what is hurting the NFL’s case is that they don’t have access to the victims to testify in the disciplinary hearing. 

presumably, each of the plaintiffs has had her deposition taken by now.  the NFL should have had access to those.  And in an arbitration, with relaxed rules of evidence, both sides should have been able to submit relevant testimony.

And since Watson's lawyers also have the depo transcripts, which they would have used in Watson's defense if necessary, there wouldnt have been much need for the plaintiffs to testify

lastly, if i'm the plaintiffs' lawyer, no way in hell would i let them testify at an NFL disciplinary hearing if i could prevent it.  Again, they havent been vigorously cross-examined yet and i would not want to allow any potential damage to my lawsuit, such as inconsistencies.  In other words, Buzbee gains nothing from having his clients testify, but could lose a lot.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I believe there was a report the NFL wouldn't overrule the prosecutor if it was a six to eight game suspension.  Maybe she gives him four and the NFL gives him six.  This seemed preordained for a while now.

I believe it was more of an opinion that the nfl wouldn’t overrule because this was the first year of the independent judge and it might look bad to overrule her first case. But no one really knows what they will do. 

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder what is hurting the NFL’s case is that they don’t have access to the victims to testify in the disciplinary hearing. 

I think there are a few things really hurting the NFL’s case.  One is that there seems to be very little evidence beyond the testimony of the women involved.  There are some texts, but even those don’t corroborate much.  Basically it’s the word of 4 women (in the NFL’s case) versus the word of Watson.  That dovetails with a second issue - that the standard is the “preponderance of evidence” rather than “credible evidence”.  It is the higher bar of probable versus possible.

A third issue is the precedent set by the NFL by their inaction against several owners who have violated the PCP.  A fourth seems to be that the NFL half-assed the case.  Lastly there is also a legal issue with the PCP and CBA that I just read about here.  Apparently the PCP was not explicitly incorporated into the CBA as many other documents have been.  Thus it was not agreed to by the NFLPA.  That opens the door for a suit by Watson and the NFLPA if the case goes against him.

That all doesn’t necessarily mean that Watson will not be suspended.  I think that a lot of people have simply heard the allegations, believed them and assumed he’d be punished based on that.  Buzbee has done a masterful job of trying Watson in the court of public opinion too, but the legal case is not nearly as cut and dry.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe it was more of an opinion that the nfl wouldn’t overrule because this was the first year of the independent judge and it might look bad to overrule her first case. But no one really knows what they will do. 

This has a double negative outcome of it does end up being 4-6 games (at least in the publics eyes).

Female prosecutor gives 4-6 games suspension (every woman will be calling for her head who isn't Browns fan).

Goodell refuses to impose a harsher suspension (everyone is after him as well).

I just can't see both happening unless Goodell is trying to make her the scapegoat. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

This is certainly all true, but it doesn’t mean they have established a punishment from the league. The NFL will have their say in the end. 

and if the league pursues the situation with no regard for the year missed, we will see if players engage in the favor of stepping aside quietly or instead force their hands to make an official stance immediately in the process 

Dear Lord I hope they drop the boom.  This whole thing stinks and stinks bad.   Anything as weak as 4-6 games will have major repercussions. 

even in a scenario where the NFL asks for the moon but “settles” because the independent says 6 games they lose.  Everyone will know the fix is in. 

44 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Dear Lord I hope they drop the boom.  This whole thing stinks and stinks bad.   Anything as weak as 4-6 games will have major repercussions. 

even in a scenario where the NFL asks for the moon but “settles” because the independent says 6 games they lose.  Everyone will know the fix is in. 

Everyone had know that for a while. They have just turned a half-blind eye to it.  This will be a spotlight on the nfl and their brand if it's 6 games. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Wonder what Browns fans think about this all?  Anyone have any Cleveland buddies?

Are they outraged with the Browns decisions?  Are they in Watson’s corner?  Or is it a “short memory - win me a Lombardi” thing?

In my interactions I think the majority just want it over with so they can know what to expect this season. They generally don’t like the guaranteed money or the trade of all the 1sts with all the uncertainty. The four outstanding cases are also a scary thing. But I think once he takes the field, if he’s good, they will move on despite any personal feelings about him. It’s worth noting a lot of browns fans really still believe in baker mayfield so that’s another factor. 

I do have one buddy who is a delusional  Browns homer and always has been, ie no loss is ever really their fault and it’s always injuries or refs or some other reason other than the team itself. Every draft pick is a home run, every FA signing is brilliant. Anyway he’s insisted from the beginning that Watson is innocent despite having no more knowledge than anyone else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.