Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

On 5/24/2022 at 10:24 PM, HappyDays said:

Yikes I just watched the full interview with Ashley Solis. Either she is secretly the greatest actress of our time or Watson is a predator.

Felt the same way. She was very believable. I did not get the impression at all that she was lying.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I am fine with manipulating salaries with the intent to work within the confines of the salary cap, which is what they did with the players above. But, there’s no precedent for giving a starting QB vet minimum to minimize salary cap implications. This was done solely to subvert any punishment coming from the NFL.

If I were Goodell, I would refrain from announcing any disciplinary measures until all civil suits are settled. This would probably mean either Watson starts paying out to settle them quickly or he let’s them go to court over the next year. Once the dust settles, Goodell can then suspend him for the 2023 season. That would send a much better message. 

Josh Allen's contract had him at $990,000 in base salary in 2021.  Mahomes' contract had him at $825,000 in 2021, and it will be at $990,000 in 2022. 

Edited by cle23

12 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Josh Allen's contract had him at $990,000 in base salary in 2021.  Mahomes' contract had him at $825,000 in 2021, and it will be at $990,000 in 2022. 

You are correct.  Here’s a link to Spotrac.  People thinking that the Browns did anything out of the ordinary with Watson’s contract should take 1 or 2 minutes to educate themselves.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

The fact we’ve had talented players out of the league for smoking weed or gambling, but this POS hasn’t been made an example of yet is disgusting.

Who’s “out of the league” for smoking weed?

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

The fact we’ve had talented players out of the league for smoking weed or gambling, but this POS hasn’t been made an example of yet is disgusting.

The “yet” is the key word here. Things need to run their course and all appropriate investigating needs to be completed. I can’t be outraged until we see how this plays out. In my opinion, it would be a mistake to hand out any punishment at this point. When all the facts come out, any penalty enforced now could be far too light or heavy. Get it right, even if it takes some time. I know, it’s hard to NOT want to act, but I like the cautious, patient approach.

In the meantime, Watson and the Browns can sweat it out and have some sleepless nights. Watson because, at the very least, that’s some creepy stuff. The Browns because, well, that guaranteed contract is Brownsie stupid and a horrible precedent. I hope they get burned just as a cautionary tale for others who consider taking that path. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

The “yet” is the key word here. Things need to run their course and all appropriate investigating needs to be completed. I can’t be outraged until we see how this plays out. In my opinion, it would be a mistake to hand out any punishment at this point. When all the facts come out, any penalty enforced now could be far too light or heavy. Get it right, even if it takes some time. I know, it’s hard to NOT want to act, but I like the cautious, patient approach.

In the meantime, Watson and the Browns can sweat it out and have some sleepless nights. Watson because, at the very least, that’s some creepy stuff. The Browns because, well, that guaranteed contract is Brownsie stupid and a horrible precedent. I hope they get burned just as a cautionary tale for others who consider taking that path. 

Another key word right there. 

God knows the nfl has had its fair share of investigations that they have managed to turn into looking like a monkey ***** a football. 

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

Justin Blackmon comes to mind. 

Blackmon was an alcoholic with multiple DWI's.  Plus he was too stupid not to keep failing his drug screens.  For those reasons, he is out of the league.  The Jags never released him, he could have come back after a vetting process.

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

That was his original rookie contract and it wasn’t done to manipulate the salary cap. It was determined by where he was selected in the 1st round. Rookie contracts are not determined by the market. The only example I can think of a QB taking a hefty salary cut to help his term manipulate the cap was Brady taking a $12M salary. And that’s far, far from vet minimum. In today’s QB money, that would be like accepting $20M per year. 

Please find a starting QB who has accepted vet minimum on the market so his team could manipulate the salary cap. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Blackmon was an alcoholic with multiple DWI's.  Plus he was too stupid not to keep failing his drug screens.  For those reasons, he is out of the league.  The Jags never released him, he could have come back after a vetting process.

Martavis Bryant….Josh Gordon, yes all multiple time failed drug tests and full season suspensions. Say what you want about them, but predatory behavior towards women is a lot worse to me. Not sure what you’re trying to argue. 

7 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Martavis Bryant….Josh Gordon, yes all multiple time failed drug tests and full season suspensions. Say what you want about them, but predatory behavior towards women is a lot worse to me. Not sure what you’re trying to argue. 

Agree. The NFL will be setting precedent with whatever decision they make with Deshaun. Let’s see what they do. 

29 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

i was refuting your post about Blackmon as incorrect.

No one is saying predatory behavior is not “a lot worse” than not being able to function without getting high.

But all those guys wrote their own tickets out of the NFL, despite many second chances.  So yours is not really a point worth making..

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I completely agree with you especially that first paragraph.... which is why I fully expect NFL to drop a suspension quick here. Funny they met with him a day before that HBO special. 

The longer they wait, the worse this is going to look. If they rush to the table with an 8 game suspension here like I expect, then they covered their own when bombshells come... and they can play dumb about it being too short of a suspension, "we didn't have THISSSS information". 

Quicker they can suspend him, get him back, let him take his public beating, the sooner this will be outta the headlines. The whole thing is gross, and its going to get worse.

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

i was refuting your post about Blackmon as incorrect.

No one is saying predatory behavior is not “a lot worse” than not being able to function without getting high.

But all those guys wrote their own tickets out of the NFL, despite many second chances.  So yours is not really a point worth making..

And Gordon is still in the league.... Martavis Bryant was a meh player who wasn't worth the hassle. 

It is also worth saying here (though I know I will be met with responses of "yea but which is worse") that the Substance Abuse Policy is a very distinct subset of the Personal Conduct Policy and has a different investigation and discipline procedure. So really there is no precedent to be drawn from comparing these allegations to drug offences. 

There really is not a recent precedent for this situation. I think the closest precedent I can come up with is Big Ben and that was 16 years and two iterations of the policy ago. If you are desperate to try and draw comparisons the domestic violence suspensions handed out in recent years are a better place to start. I think Watson is going to get somewhere between half a season and a season.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You are correct.  Here’s a link to Spotrac.  People thinking that the Browns did anything out of the ordinary with Watson’s contract should take 1 or 2 minutes to educate themselves.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

I agree with this but from a PR standpoint it still doesn't look good.  His base salary this year is a little over 1 million and then 46 million the next four years.  Browns had the cap space to make his base salary at least 15 million this year.  It just shows how desperate the Browns were for a franchise QB.

His contract is significant in that guaranteeing that much money over multi years is unprecedented.  Kirk Cousins contracts were fully guaranteed but they weren't as long or as expensive as Watson's.

This case is a big one for the NFL to get right. Professional Sports leagues will be using this decision forever when it comes to sexual misconduct. They have a lot more information than we do. But I can’t see any way that they allow Watson to play before this is settled. And then he will get suspended if appropriate. What if the NFL let’s Watson play or suspends him for a few games and he goes and starts doing this again or rapes a masseuse. A hyperbolic scenario I know. But this guy doesn’t think he has done anything wrong. He’s going to continue his actions. Get ready Cleveland ladies Deshaun’s “ coming to town”. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree with this but from a PR standpoint it still doesn't look good.  His base salary this year is a little over 1 million and then 46 million the next four years.  Browns had the cap space to make his base salary at least 15 million this year.  It just shows how desperate the Browns were for a franchise QB.

His contract is significant in that guaranteeing that much money over multi years is unprecedented.  Kirk Cousins contracts were fully guaranteed but they weren't as long or as expensive as Watson's.

I agree on the optics, they are bad.  And I agree that Cleveland was very desperate for a FQB.  Thus, the traded picks (including 3 first rounders!) and guaranteed $230M contract as well as having to deal with this PR disaster.  But many people are looking beyond what’s there and making stuff up to be enraged about - and there’s certainly enough legitimate stuff to complain about. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.