Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

Anyone else feel that the contract he signed with the first year being 1 million plus a 9 million signing bonus is BS? 

This contract is tantamount to the Browns being complicit , IMHO. They are saying they feel he is guilty but will ride it out with a team-friendly contract. 

If the NFL does not lower the hammer on this POS....

He needs to be barred from the NFL...PERIOD!

This is the risk of jumping into a thread at the 69th page...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

NFLR sources keep stating the scuttlebutt among other outlets 6-8 games is possible.  Big Ben wasn’t arrested or prosecuted and received 6 games.

Given the egregious nature of Watson’s civil suits, I’d think the full year would be possible.  If it goes to the appeal, I can see Goodell going to a full year as the owners would be airing on the side of caution.  Think about of four more people come out in a suit.  The last four will probably settle before the season, but I’m just saying what what if another four come out.

Just my two cents.

i actually think the NFL will come down hard for no other reason than because of the owners’ irritation over the browns blowing up the market with Watson’s fully guaranteed deal. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i actually think the NFL will come down hard for no other reason than because of the owners’ irritation over the browns blowing up the market with Watson’s fully guaranteed deal. 

so coming down hard on a serial molester will discourage other owners from offering fully guaranteed deals in the future?

Knowing how Buzbee has incrementally released info, he is waiting until today/tomorrow to drop the purported 25th case.  That keeps the pressure on Sue Robinson to avoid leniency..  Hopefully she has July vacation plans and will rule tomorrow so we can get on to the next stage of this soap opera.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

so coming down hard on a serial molester will discourage other owners from offering fully guaranteed deals in the future?

He's talking about the massive $80 million dollar jump above Rodgers who was #2 in guaranteed money.  Rodgers got a little more than Allen and Allen got $9 million more than Mahomes.  Watson got $80 million more than Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wjag said:

Knowing how Buzbee has incrementally released info, he is waiting until today/tomorrow to drop the purported 25th case.  That keeps the pressure on Sue Robinson to avoid leniency..  Hopefully she has July vacation plans and will rule tomorrow so we can get on to the next stage of this soap opera.

The assumption is it will be a “Friday before the holiday weekend news dump.” The nfl is off next week so they want this part over. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where the NFL is going to have issues, and where I'm sure Watson's attorneys will focus, is the lack of discipline that the NFL imposed on owners accused of the same or very similar things.  Granted Watson's accusation totals are higher, but Dan Snyder has several accusations as well and the NFL has done literally nothing.  Kraft had some issues.  And the NFL did absolutely nothing.  And NFL's own policy states that owner's should be held to a higher standard than even the players.

Edited by cle23
  • Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's talking about the massive $80 million dollar jump above Rodgers who was #2 in guaranteed money.  Rodgers got a little more than Allen and Allen got $9 million more than Mahomes.  Watson got $80 million more than Rodgers.

correct.  

So how would a long suspension of Watson change the contract offerings of owners re:huge/fully guaranteed money?  I don’t get the connection..,

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So that'd mean he could play when he's 34 on a new deal as I think his current one would have expired by then.

Pretty strong response if it's to the stories being put out of a 0 game suspension or the 6-8 one.

6 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Where the NFL is going to have issues, and where I'm sure Watson's attorneys will focus, is the lack of discipline that the NFL imposed on owners accused of the same or very similar things.  Granted Watson's accusation totals are higher, but Dan Snyder has several accusations as well and the NFL has done literally nothing.  Kraft had some issues.  And the NFL did absolutely nothing.  And NFL's own policy states that owner's should be held to a higher standard than even the players.

My issue with this is it feels like the NFL doesn't has a very comprehensive range of tools to punish owners. What do fines/suspensions mean to them? Then being forced to sell the team is cranking it all the way up to maximum. Taking draft picks seems more appropriate as a punishment for cheating for a competitive advantage than anything else.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

correct.  

So how would a long suspension of Watson change the contract offerings of owners re:huge/fully guaranteed money?  I don’t get the connection..,

I don't think it would.  It's more of being a "karma" for the Browns for resetting the market stupidly.  Paid all that money and losing 3 first round picks and not getting any ROI from it.  

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think it would.  It's more of being a "karma" for the Browns for resetting the market stupidly.  Paid all that money and losing 3 first round picks and not getting any ROI from it.  

It wouldn't make any sense at all to link any potential punishment for Watson to the contract the Browns offered him as far a way for the other owners to punish Haslam for the offer.  That's what the other poster was suggesting.  Owners don't care about dumb contracts by other owners---because all of them are getting "guaranteed money".

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It wouldn't make any sense at all to link any potential punishment for Watson to the contract the Browns offered him as far a way for the other owners to punish Haslam for the offer.  That's what the other poster was suggesting.  Owners don't care about dumb contracts by other owners---because all of them are getting "guaranteed money".

I disagree with that...especially if you have a contract coming up with a QB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Owners most definitely care about contracts that are being handed out. Herbert and Burrow just went from negotiating their contracts based on Josh's contract, to now negotiating based on DW's contract. Both will demand fully guaranteed money and both will demand more money than DW got. 

Per the CBA owners are required to fund any future guaranteed money above $15M into an escrow account. So now owners have to write huge checks into escrow accounts. Billionaire or not, writing a $230MM+ check to fund an escrow account hurts the cash flow. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Owners most definitely care about contracts that are being handed out. Herbert and Burrow just went from negotiating their contracts based on Josh's contract, to now negotiating based on DW's contract. Both will demand fully guaranteed money and both will demand more money than DW got. 

Per the CBA owners are required to fund any future guaranteed money above $15M into an escrow account. So now owners have to write huge checks into escrow accounts. Billionaire or not, writing a $230MM+ check to fund an escrow account hurts the cash flow. 

Yeah that’s the concern: that franchise QBs will now start demanding fully guaranteed contracts. And Herbert and Burrow don’t have the legal issues Watson does. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I disagree with that...especially if you have a contract coming up with a QB.  

52 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Owners most definitely care about contracts that are being handed out. Herbert and Burrow just went from negotiating their contracts based on Josh's contract, to now negotiating based on DW's contract. Both will demand fully guaranteed money and both will demand more money than DW got

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah that’s the concern: that franchise QBs will now start demanding fully guaranteed contracts. And Herbert and Burrow don’t have the legal issues Watson does. 

Players have always been free to demand fully guaranteed contracts.  Some owners (the ones who don't worry about putting money in escrow) will offer it (to keep a guy like, say, Herbert--who is worth more than Watson in any case), some won't (those who would rather not)--and they will make their traditional offer which the player can take or holdout, be franchised etc. 

Anyway, whatever the effect this contract may  have  on future contracts will have no impact on the  the NFL's ultimate decision of the length of the suspension of Watson.  It will have nothing to do with "punishing" the Browns or Haslam for the contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.