Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt it goes that far.  She’d have to consider the possibility that Watson could win the case and there would be no a big award or accountability.  Just because many have already decided Watson’s guilt, a court case with a jury is a very different matter.  

Hard to know what what might do when you do not know them or the intricate details of the situation. 🫤

i'm startin to think the Browns were genius in how they did this.  (no sarcasm)

As mentioned a couple weeks ago somewhere, and restated on PFT today, Watson's contract tolls during suspension, for a year.  So his device to have his first year of actually playing be under a salary of only $1M was supposed to be to Watson's obvious benefit.

But in tolling, the Browns get something too.   They have Watson locked in to a 5 year contract.  That might not start until his current top-of-market salary might only be middle-of-the-road. 

imo, THIS is why the Browns havent moved Mayfield.   If Watson is suspended for a year or more, the brown lose nothing.   Not even money, really.  Because they can still Trade watson a couple years from now, if Mayfield balls out, or some other thing.

The Browns purchased the rights to Watson.   (instead of strictly just hiring him to be their qb).  So the decided to lock him into a fixed contract.  Solidifying the value of the asset.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

As mentioned a couple weeks ago somewhere, and restated on PFT today, Watson's contract tolls during suspension, for a year.  So his device to have his first year of actually playing be under a salary of only $1M was supposed to be to Watson's obvious benefit.

But in tolling, the Browns get something too.   They have Watson locked in to a 5 year contract.  That might not start until his current top-of-market salary might only be middle-of-the-road. 

imo, THIS is why the Browns havent moved Mayfield.   If Watson is suspended for a year or more, the brown lose nothing.   Not even money, really.  Because they can still Trade watson a couple years from now, if Mayfield balls out, or some other thing.

The Browns purchased the rights to Watson.   (instead of strictly just hiring him to be their qb).  So the decided to lock him into a fixed contract.  Solidifying the value of the asset.

I can think of some words to describe this but genius isn’t one of them. Mayfield is not playing for the Browns again. It is untenable. That ship has sailed. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

shrewd?

diabolical?

soulless?

i can agree to each of these.  but i ususally presume that the things smart people do, musta been closer to feindish than stupid.

(fully aware of the irony there)

Edited by maddenboy

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

Jimmy Haslam's burner account?  

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Jimmy Haslam's burner account?  

i wasnt including him in the "smart" people.

Although people usually agree that super rich people didnt get there by being stupid.  Here, he probably learned that he should hire smart people, like those analytics people.  And high-priced lawyers/negotiators

i dont want to beat this to death.  It just seemed to make sense if, and only if, we can begin at "the browns were either very stupid or very shrewd in what they did here."   That's where i was comin from.

Edited by maddenboy

1 minute ago, maddenboy said:

i wasnt including him in the "smart" people.

Although people usually agree that super rich people didnt get there by being stupid.  Here, he probably learned that he should hire smart people, like those analytics people.  And high-priced lawyers/negotiators

i dont want to beat this to death.  It just seemed to make sense if, and only if, we can begin at "the browns were either very stupid or very shrewd in what they did here."   That's where i was comin from.

They have a team built to win now and it's likely Jacoby Brissett is going to be their starter this year.  Baker is not coming back as the Browns did everything possible to alienate him.  They then will be cash strapped with Watson's contract and don't have a first round pick until 2025.  They also gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick along that same time line.  They forced their fans to defend a guy with 24 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct against him.  The last thing I would call anybody in the Browns front office is "smart."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They have a team built to win now and it's likely Jacoby Brissett is going to be their starter this year.  Baker is not coming back as the Browns did everything possible to alienate him.  They then will be cash strapped with Watson's contract and don't have a first round pick until 2025.  They also gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick along that same time line.  They forced their fans to defend a guy with 24 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct against him.  The last thing I would call anybody in the Browns front office is "smart."

i think mayfield will be back. 

he might have no choice.  Getting a full playing season during his prime, to audition for his next team, without having to agree to reduce any of it to facilite a trade, and knowing that he needs to put his best foot forward, and with several built-in excuses if he doesnt win the superbowl or otherwise doesnt set the world on fire.  And knowing he will never agree to stay with the Browns no matter how hard they beg.  And, if he does set the world on fire, everybody wins.   Including the browns.

(Honestly, i hope the Browns crash and burn.  Just like i do for every other team that's not the Bills.  I just sleep with one eye open, if you will.  Just that it might be the wrong one sometimes)

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

he might have no choice.  Getting a full playing season during his prime, to audition for his next team, without having to agree to reduce any of it to facilite a trade, and knowing that he needs to put his best foot forward, and with several built-in excuses if he doesnt win the superbowl or otherwise doesnt set the world on fire.  And knowing he will never agree to stay with the Browns no matter how hard they beg.  And, if he does set the world on fire, everybody wins.   Including the browns.

(Honestly, i hope the Browns crash and burn.  Just like i do for every other team that's not the Bills.  I just sleep with one eye open, if you will.  Just that it might be the wrong one sometimes)

I have a better chance of suiting up for the browns this year than Mayfield 

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

They gave up assets of incredibly significant value. You don’t give that up on the hope that the QB you traded for Will play for your team at some point in the future (maybe). You give that up and expect him to play immediately. Browns gonna Brown as they say. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

They'll trade Mayfield, probably to the Seahawks.  At the latest the 3rd pre-season game when fans get a chance to see extended action of Drew Lock and/or Geno Smith.

45 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

They gave up assets of incredibly significant value. You don’t give that up on the hope that the QB you traded for Will play for your team at some point in the future (maybe). You give that up and expect him to play immediately. Browns gonna Brown as they say. 

but my point is, if i'm onto something at all, is that they purchased an asset.  Its like buying a ferrari for your 15 year old daughter.  she cannot drive yet but when she is old enuf, even if she has another car, its still a Ferrari, barely scratched, and i can sell it.

i might not get allllll my money back.  but i can calculate the risks up front.  then acquire an asset.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

They'll trade Mayfield, probably to the Seahawks.  At the latest the 3rd pre-season game when fans get a chance to see extended action of Drew Lock and/or Geno Smith.

i actually think the seahawks makes too much sense to not happen.

But i'm still stuck at "if the browns trade him at all."

And for the record:  i like baker mayfield and think he is underrated, but just a little bit.  And i think Watson is overrated a bit, but i love his game and his ceiling as a player is high. 

3 hours ago, maddenboy said:

So you don’t think that the problems in the locker room are gonna superseed all that it’s more than just about money

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have a better chance of suiting up for the browns this year than Mayfield 

The Browns have around 41 million in cap space and Baker is set to make 19 million.  Baker should say give me a $27m dollar raise to get me to a $46m one year deal and I'll bail you out.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

June 25, 2022 7:18pm EDT
Browns' Deshaun Watson disciplinary hearing set to begin Tuesday: report
The decision in Deshaun Watson's disciplinary hearing could reportedly come as early as a week

League sources told ESPN on Saturday that Watson’s hearing before the NFLPA and the league’s jointly appointed disciplinary officer, Sue L. Robinson, is scheduled to begin Tuesday with the NFL pushing for a "lengthy" suspension. 

If either the union or league appeals Robinson’s decision, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell or his designee "will issue a written decision that will constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute," per terms of Article 46 in the CBA.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-deshaun-watson-disciplinary-hearing-tuesday

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So you don’t think that the problems in the locker room are gonna superseed all that it’s more than just about money

i think it depends on their assessment of whether the locker room would prefer Jacoby Brissett or Mayfield.

there's probably a lot of players who genuinely would support whichever gives the best chance to win.  Given those 2 choices. 

Players know the browns are not winning the superbowl.  but lots probably have contract incentives.  or wanna put out the best tape possible, so they can gtfo as fast as possible.   Or be on a winning team so that being on a winner boosts that player's Brand that he's building.  or whatever.  Even defensive players know that their stats get better as the offense performs better.   etc. etc.

If its jacoby, it will probably be a valid read by the players that he really is better as a player for the team.  because faced with a head (mayfield) vs heart (anybody but Mayfield), i think mayfield wins.  in a close one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.