Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not the DA that has decided not to take to trial. Two Grand Juries refused to indict based on the evidence. It could go back to a grand jury, the article is right. But for the DA to push for another Grand Jury that would need to be a material difference in the evidence. Essentially it needs some physical evidence to be uncovered or third party witness testimony (i.e. someone other than one of the alleged victims witnessing the alleged abuse). 

And it is worth saying again he doesn't need to be "exonerated" that isn't the way the criminal law works. You are innocent in the eyes of the law until a criminal courts finds you guilty. You are not and never have been "found innocent."

It is also important to note, for those not familiar, that the burden of proof in a criminal case is “beyond a reasonable doubt” — an extraordinarily high standard — while in a civil case the burden is a mere “preponderance of the evidence.”

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, eball said:

It is also important to note, for those not familiar, that the burden of proof in a criminal case is “beyond a reasonable doubt” — an extraordinarily high standard — while in a civil case the burden is a mere “preponderance of the evidence.”

The above is true but getting something to trial…..through a Grand Jury is not typically as difficult.  I can see where it would be difficult in a case like this where it is essentially two people calling each other liars.

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Agreed. There’s been a lot of comparisons to the Big Ben case, for example, but that was years ago. The gambling suspension recently handed down is much more instructive - it should at least be 2 seasons (and then inevitably adjusted) given the comparative harm to both people (Ridley didn’t hurt anyone physically or emotionally games that he wasn’t a participant in) and reputation (the NFL has already full-throatedly endorsed gambling on sports, putting gambling parlors in their actual places of business. Same can’t be said for Watson’s (alleged) conduct.)

There is also a very clear as day policy for the gambling, and 100% evidence that Ridely did it.  I have no idea what Watson did, but based on all the allegations and such, it seems he more than likely did something inappropriate.  How severe is unknown to me at least.  So Ridely's case is pretty cut and dry given the evidence and the clear policy in place.  Watson's is less clear.  Also, you can't use a gambling case as precedence for another case.  They are completely different.  I guarantee that Watson's lawyers will try to use Ben's case as precedent if he is suspended for so much longer than Ben was.

Edited by cle23

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

There is also a very clear as day policy for the gambling, and 100% evidence that Ridely did it.  I have no idea what Watson did, but based on all the allegations and such, it seems he more than likely did something inappropriate.  How severe is unknown to me at least.  So Ridely's case is pretty cut and dry given the evidence and the clear policy in place.  Watson's is less clear.  Also, you can't use a gambling case as precedence for another case.  They are completely different.  I guarantee that Watson's lawyers will try to use Ben's case as precedent if he is suspended for so much longer than Ben was.

yes you’re right and I’d argue that application of precedent is completely a**-backwards considering the relative harm involved.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I am glad to hear this.  Anything "negotiated" is a win for Watson.

I heard from a couple reporters, that they thought the league would negotiate IF he settled. That’s stalled though unless he can get the last 4

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I heard from a couple reporters, that they thought the league would negotiate of he settled. That’s stalled though unless he can get the last 4

The lawyer said Solis is going to trial so good luck with that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Everyone has their price.

No, I get it, most cases settle.  But the lawyer just made a bunch on the first 20 so he can afford to drag this out unless his client wants to end it.

44 minutes ago, eball said:

No, I get it, most cases settle.  But the lawyer just made a bunch on the first 20 so he can afford to drag this out unless his client wants to end it.

Buzbee is the richest person involved in this.  His estimated net worth is $700M. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, eball said:

The lawyer said Solis is going to trial so good luck with that.

Just like a Watson said he wouldn’t settle any of the cases.  That posturing is usually just negotiation.  Not saying that there aren’t times that people try to make a point or make those decisions emotionally. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just like a Watson said he wouldn’t settle any of the cases.  That posturing is usually just negotiation.  Not saying that there aren’t times that people try to make a point or make those decisions emotionally. 

Watson had no choice.  He can't go to trial 24 (or 26) times.  Buzbee can pick his best case (Solis) and ride it out.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Watson had no choice.  He can't go to trial 24 (or 26) times.  Buzbee can pick his best case (Solis) and ride it out.

Sure Buzbee can.  But so could have Watson.  He did have a choice.  If he really thought he could beat the cases he could’ve taken their best one to court.  If he won that or it returned a minimal judgement, then the plaintiffs in the other (lesser) cases might not be so confident.

These last four cases will almost certainly be settled.  Juries are just too unpredictable.  Both sides know what this is really worth.  Buzbee is maximizing his leverage on his best cases by stringing this out to the last minute.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m going to the Bills- Browns game on 11/20 and would give anything for that to be his first game back. he might try to negotiate so that his first game back is at home. The mafia 🤣💀

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure Buzbee can.  But so could have Watson.  He did have a choice.  If he really thought he could beat the cases he could’ve taken their best one to court.  If he won that or it returned a minimal judgement, then the plaintiffs in the other (lesser) cases might not be so confident.

These last four cases will almost certainly be settled.  Juries are just too unpredictable.  Both sides know what this is really worth.  Buzbee is maximizing his leverage on his best cases by stringing this out to the last minute.

Unless one of the women has decided that watson being held accountable for his actions is worth more than any settlement

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Unless one of the women has decided that watson being held accountable for his actions is worth more than any settlement

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt it goes that far.  She’d have to consider the possibility that Watson could win the case and there would be no a big award or accountability.  Just because many have already decided Watson’s guilt, a court case with a jury is a very different matter.  

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt it goes that far.  She’d have to consider the possibility that Watson could win the case and there would be no a big award or accountability.  Just because many have already decided Watson’s guilt, a court case with a jury is a very different matter.  

I hear ya..  I’d settle 💯.   Some people just have different values and motives.

• Agree 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:04 PM, aristocrat said:

the nfl has to be starting with two seasons. A guy gambling like 1000 bucks got a season. You can’t go light on this. Negotiate  down to 24 or something. If not it’s a pr nightmare 

surely you understand the difference between something that calls into question the authenticity of the product on the field vs responding to a criminal complaint wholly unrelated to Sundays though. 

im not minimizing his issue - just pointing out they are apples and oranges to place side by side for employee discipline

On 6/23/2022 at 7:19 PM, Beast said:

Watson sat out on his own last season. That should have no influence on a suspension.....not to mention the Texans paid him the whole year.

see if any player ever plays nice in the sandbox with the nfl if zero merit is given to that. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.