Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

17 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It makes zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeero sense that Watson would be happy to settle 20 cases but let 4 linger due to weakness.  If Walmart was trying to buy a city block to build a Superstore would they haggle with the last homeowner because they don’t like the flooring in his kitchen?

Watson’s team would 100% want all 24 and never be the obstacle on a few cases while settling the others.  If he got all 24 he’d have some plausible….if unlikely…deniability.  Leaving 4….even if it goes to trial and he wins and the judge laughs all 4 out of court…..Watson has now admitted that the other 20 had a case at some level  and he didn’t want to fight.  Settling all 24 leaves no such admission, otherwise he would have fought them all. 

What is possible is that the 20 got let’s say 500k each and the remaining 4 are demanding 5M each.  Nooooooooooooo way on Earth is Watson’s team saying well yeah the other 20 got 500 but our formula says you get 250.  That’s as possible as the Easter Bunny being real and leading the Vancouver Canucks to a game seven World Series victory in a game played on Jupiter.

💯

It’s true that there would be a strong preference to resolve ALL the cases rather than let four linger, but we (including you) just have no idea why those four have not settled yet. There are dozens of possible reasons, and of course there is a good chance the last 4 will settle too.

36 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s true that there would be a strong preference to resolve ALL the cases rather than let four linger, but we (including you) just have no idea why those four have not settled yet. There are dozens of possible reasons, and of course there is a good chance the last 4 will settle too.

All of the above is true.  I’d say “no idea” is a bit of a stretch because inferences can be drawn from things that have been said and similarities and differences with other proceedings in the past.  I’d replace “no idea” with “don’t know”.  

What you said previously about Watson offering less money to these four being the likely reason they haven’t  settled has a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000004% chance of being the actual reason.

25 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Maybe one or even all 4 don't care about the money and just want him exposed as the predator he appears to be.  In that case they won't settle no matter what the offer is.  

Ashley Solis has the best case (from what I can tell) was the first to file a lawsuit, has done TV interviews, is very compelling and sounds pissed.  She isn't going away quietly sand good for her.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Maybe one or even all 4 don't care about the money and just want him exposed as the predator he appears to be.  In that case they won't settle no matter what the offer is.  

Fingers crossed that this is the case and he is exposed, found guilty, and jailed.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they’re negotiating a suspension I can’t see a year. If it’s less than a year the NFL is afraid of what might come out about some of their owners.

He’s going to get 8 games. Roethlisberger got 6 initially for settling his rape case, then it cut to 4.

We live in different times with social media so strong though. I wonder if the NFL hits him with a year but then cuts it down after the NFLPA fights it. Makes the NFL look strong for the year but ultimately had to cut it down due to NFPA.

So I bet the deal is 1 year but after appeal it’s cut to 8 or 12.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If they’re negotiating a suspension I can’t see a year. If it’s less than a year the NFL is afraid of what might come out about some of their owners.

He’s going to get 8 games. Roethlisberger got 6 initially for settling his rape case, then it cut to 4.

We live in different times with social media so strong though. I wonder if the NFL hits him with a year but then cuts it down after the NFLPA fights it. Makes the NFL look strong for the year but ultimately had to cut it down due to NFPA.

I actually think the opposite. I bet the NFL is throwing the book at him and he is countering 4 games. I bet it’s at least a year

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

All of the above is true.  I’d say “no idea” is a bit of a stretch because inferences can be drawn from things that have been said and similarities and differences with other proceedings in the past.  I’d replace “no idea” with “don’t know”.  

What you said previously about Watson offering less money to these four being the likely reason they haven’t  settled has a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000004% chance of being the actual reason.

💯 

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Hope that’s the case !!!

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the biggest underlying issue on length is how do you count time served last year, right? 

the nfl wants to look strong but Watson has to be arguing he already sat quietly a full year 

getting cute with his contract only makes finding a middle ground harder. The nfl saying he’s out 8 games and $25m in salary satiates their need. Playing half the season with essentially full pay looks much weaker… so now the punishment needs to look strong in the number of games instead of dollars… but watsons camp can’t agree to a full year.

Edited by NoSaint

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the biggest underlying issue on length is how do you count time served last year, right? 

the nfl wants to look strong but Watson has to be arguing he already sat quietly a full year 

getting cute with his contract only makes finding a middle ground harder. The nfl saying he’s out 8 games and $25m in salary satiates their need. Playing half the season with essentially full pay looks much weaker… so now the punishment needs to look strong in the number of games instead of dollars… but watsons camp can’t agree to a full year.

the nfl has to be starting with two seasons. A guy gambling like 1000 bucks got a season. You can’t go light on this. Negotiate  down to 24 or something. If not it’s a pr nightmare 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Watson sat out on his own last season. That should have no influence on a suspension.....not to mention the Texans paid him the whole year.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Fingers crossed that this is the case and he is exposed, found guilty, and jailed.

The ship has sailed on the "jailed" part of this preferred consequence equation. All we can hope for now, if we care about consequences for heinous actions, is significant short term financial penalties, medium term professional punishments, and lasting personal stigma. It's not ideal, but when dealing with the ultra rich and famous, it's about as good as it's going to get. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Admittedly I'm underinformed on the entirety of the Watson saga, but didn't the PLAYER refuse to play again for his team last year (like prior (just barely) to the emergence of these allegations and consequent lawsuits)? Didn't he essentially allow the NFL to NOT make any difficult decisions on his availability last season? I could be missing important info (often am). But under my recollection of events, there is ZERO case for any "time served" considerations. 

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Watson sat out on his own last season. That should have no influence on a suspension.....not to mention the Texans paid him the whole year.

Only post I hadn't yet read when I replied. Also my understanding of how it played out last year, of course.

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

the nfl has to be starting with two seasons. A guy gambling like 1000 bucks got a season. You can’t go light on this. Negotiate  down to 24 or something. If not it’s a pr nightmare 

Agreed. There’s been a lot of comparisons to the Big Ben case, for example, but that was years ago. The gambling suspension recently handed down is much more instructive - it should at least be 2 seasons (and then inevitably adjusted) given the comparative harm to both people (Ridley didn’t hurt anyone physically or emotionally games that he wasn’t a participant in) and reputation (the NFL has already full-throatedly endorsed gambling on sports, putting gambling parlors in their actual places of business. Same can’t be said for Watson’s (alleged) conduct.)

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The ship has sailed on the "jailed" part of this preferred consequence equation. All we can hope for now, if we care about consequences for heinous actions, is significant short term financial penalties, medium term professional punishments, and lasting personal stigma. It's not ideal, but when dealing with the ultra rich and famous, it's about as good as it's going to get. 

He hasn’t been exonerated, the Houston DA’s office has decided not to take the cases to trial at this time.  If more damaging evidence comes to light, I’m sure he will be charged.  I think the statute of limitations. Is 7 years.  Good article explaining this:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/19/has-deshaun-watson-definitely-avoided-criminal-prosecution/amp/

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He hasn’t been exonerated, the Houston DA’s office has decided not to take the cases to trial at this time.  If more damaging evidence comes to light, I’m sure he will be charged.  I think the statute of limitations. Is 7 years.  Good article explaining this:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/19/has-deshaun-watson-definitely-avoided-criminal-prosecution/amp/

It is not the DA that has decided not to take to trial. Two Grand Juries refused to indict based on the evidence. It could go back to a grand jury, the article is right. But for the DA to push for another Grand Jury that would need to be a material difference in the evidence. Essentially it needs some physical evidence to be uncovered or third party witness testimony (i.e. someone other than one of the alleged victims witnessing the alleged abuse). 

And it is worth saying again he doesn't need to be "exonerated" that isn't the way the criminal law works. You are innocent in the eyes of the law until a criminal courts finds you guilty. You are not and never have been "found innocent."

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.