Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think they have filed as a class .  That wouldn't make sense for the plaintiffs. 

It’s not a class action and probably could never have been filed as such. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Cases get settled every day because it costs more to fight them. I’m not saying that he’s innocent, just that the legal system often rewards people who bring suits that have little or no merit.

My guess on why there are 4 remaining cases is that they have the most merit and/or angriest plaintiffs.  The rest accepted $X each to go away.  The last 4 are looking for more than that.  

It’s just as (if not more) likely that the last four cases have the least merit and therefore Watson and his team are offering substantially less to settle them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think they have filed as a class .  That wouldn't make sense for the plaintiffs. 

They haven't, that is correct, but I think it is still possible for them to be adjoined later? I am not sure how late in that day that can happen. Our procedure rules in the UK are a bit different on this stuff. I am not sure what case management powers the judiciary have in the US.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm interested in this theory that the legal system often rewards suits with little or no merit

It is called the "Nuisance Value" of a case. 

how much the defendant will pay to make this nuisance go away.

Like it will cost $250k to win this 95% righteous defense.  She is suing for $100k

plaintiff lawyers know this.  Defense lawyers know this.  Courts know this.  Legislative bodies know this.  This helps judicial economy. 

Courts want to try cases with "genuine issues of material fact" to be decided by a jury.  

Edited by maddenboy

18 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

It is called the "Nuisance Value" of a case. 

how much the defendant will pay to make this nuisance go away.

Like it will cost $250k to win this 95% righteous defense.  She is suing for $100k

plaintiff lawyers know this.  Defense lawyers know this.  Courts know this.  Legislative bodies know this.  This helps judicial economy. 

I'm meh on this. Summary judgement and all. There are enough safeguards in place.

5 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

not to beat it to death, but summary judgment Costs.   Money.  It is not the first motion you file.

You need to establish no genuine issue of material fact.  In the moving papers.   so you have probably taken at least a couple depositions, etc.

Not cheap.  Its gonna cost you $40 k to even get to the summary judgment stage in my bulshtt lawsuit against you?  Okay, gimme 30k and we'll call it a day.

Are you being represented pro bono? Because if not and I have more money than you, you'll go bankrupt on legal fees.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As I’ve mentioned before, 12 games isn’t light, it’s a worst case scenario. The browns would rather it be a full year. 12 games puts them out of playoff contention most likely plus his contract doesn’t toll and the browns lose a year of control. If it’s a year suspension, contract tolls and there is still 5 years on the deal beginning 2023.

It makes sense what you say but if I ran the Browns I would want him on the field as soon as possible.  Get that circus over with, especially if 2022 is a lost year.   Start 2023 without that massive distraction.  Besides, he needs all the reps possible going into next season. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm meh on this. Summary judgement and all. There are enough safeguards in place.

It certainly isn't likely an issue in this case. It can be an issue but it is more common when the inequality of arms is inverted.... the plaintiff has an, at best, barely arguable case but deep pockets so threatens poor defendant who has definitely the more plausible argument but looks at the potential cost of defending and decides to fold or reach a negotiated settlement early in proceedings. It is less common in tort anyway frankly, it is more common in breach of contract and other commercial litigation. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, mannc said:

It’s just as (if not more) likely that the last four cases have the least merit and therefore Watson and his team are offering substantially less to settle them.

I doubt it as Ashley Solis didn't settle as she was the first one to come forward with charges of sexual misconduct.  It'll either cost Watson more or they'll go to trial.  As an aside, the settlement amount of these 20 women will eventually leak and there may be one of the other 40 (at least) massage therapists that could say, "holy crap, I want that money too."  They could hire a lawyer and file charges against Watson as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mannc said:

I look at this totally the opposite way. The ones remaining are woman that are not doing this for a payday their doing it because a law has been broken. They are fighting the good fight in their minds to protect others. Don’t forget two more cases are in the process to get filed this week.? What happens if he continues to act this way after his suspension? Will he be treated like a drug addict getting suspended and then reinstated?

11 hours ago, mannc said:

That's certainly possible.  I do think that Buzbee would have led with one of the strongest cases though.  The Solis case is the first and did not get settled. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As I’ve mentioned before, 12 games isn’t light, it’s a worst case scenario. The browns would rather it be a full year. 12 games puts them out of playoff contention most likely plus his contract doesn’t toll and the browns lose a year of control. If it’s a year suspension, contract tolls and there is still 5 years on the deal beginning 2023.

Based on this, I DEMAND it be 16 games.  Let him be eligible for the 17th game  🙂 

11 hours ago, mannc said:

They would offer the least on the cases that could cost them the most?

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

very true....

And now everyone will criticize Washington Football Team for paying out 1.6m for their owner. Browns likely paid out 10 times that much indirectly for Watson.

Harvey Weinstein is in jail.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.