Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL you’d have to be smoking crack if you think Mayfield will play another down for Cleveland. He’s already stated he won’t 

No, he’s already stated he wants out and won’t play another down for them. Cleveland pretty much blew up that bridge. Chances are if they can’t find a trade partner they’ll most likely be forced to release him

I can think of $18.9M reasons Mayfield would play for the Browns this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The contract Watson is slated to sign with the Browns, at a base-salary level, is far less than what he was scheduled to make with the Texans. Money lost on a suspension comes out of the player’s base pay for the season, so Watson would lose around $55,000 per game under his new deal if a suspension is levied, whereas he would have lost nearly $2 million per game with the Texans.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/18/deshaun-watson-contract-browns-suspension/

His base salary for 2022 is $1M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, uninja said:

I don’t get it, they have a stacked roster and Mayfield is a good QB when he isn’t playing with one arm half falling off. And like you’re gonna do Mayfield dirty for Watson? And for a quarter of a billion dollars fully guaranteed?

This story couldn’t be more Browns if it tried. 

I think the whole OBJ saga paints a completely different picture.  Same with Landry too.  There had to be locker room issues for the team to walk away from him.  Guys couldn't wait to get out of the mistake by the lake.  While we always talk about toxic locker rooms with out proof, and I am again here, I strongly suspect that this was the case.  For the organization to dump their #1 pick, go after a replacement QB with all the negative baggage in the world, accept they would be pilloried by their fellow owners and fan base, and do it anyway, says to me that Baker walked and talked his way out of the franchise.  They were past done with him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You may not agree with what I’m saying. But I will bet you my bottom dollar that Mayfield won’t be suiting up/playing in a Browns uniform in 22

Mayfield is under contract to Cleveland for a lot of $ for 2022. If Watson misses significant time, Mayfield will play, unless he’s traded first, but that’s looking more and more unlikely.  Mayfield has no real choice. He’s not going to sit out. He’ll play, whether he likes it or not.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Mayfield is under contract to Cleveland for a lot of $ for 2022. If Watson misses significant time, Mayfield will play, unless he’s traded first, but that’s looking more and more unlikely.  Mayfield has no real choice. He’s not going to sit out. He’ll play, whether he likes it or not.

“I’m only playing so I don’t get fined”

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t think that Mayfield will ever take another snap for the Browns in a regular season game.  But that’s because he won’t be asked to do that.  If he was asked and he refused, then he’d forfeit his otherwise guaranteed $18.9M salary.  The only out he would have is a football related injury.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think that Mayfield will ever take another snap for the Browns in a regular season game.  But that’s because he won’t be asked to do that.  If he was asked and he refused, then he’d forfeit his otherwise guaranteed $18.9M salary.  The only out he would have is a football related injury.

Then who will the Browns roll out there when Watson is suspended?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

That will really help Mayfield’s career…

1 minute ago, teef said:

i'm going to assume they weren't tears of joy.

Clearly an unhappy ending.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think the only somewhat appropriate action at this point is the exempt list for 2022, and then some kind of concrete punishment for the 2023 season. Anything short of that is just gross. 

I believe Roger already said the exempt list isn’t an option in this case. I can’t recall why.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Then who will the Browns roll out there when Watson is suspended?

Jacoby Brissett.  He’s not as good as Mayfield can be, but they’d want to avoid any drama associated with Mayfield playing.  Not really a winning scenario there for the FO.  Plus they won’t want to give Mayfield practice reps with the first team.  This assumes a short to moderate suspension.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wrong. If he refuses to play, he gets nothing. 

All he has to do is claim his shoulder injury is still bothering him,  simple and effective, and there’s virtually nothing management can do about it, 

9 hours ago, krf139 said:

Let’s stop kidding ourselves. 6 game suspension and he’ll be playing again. The NFL is all talk about “inspiring change”

Possibly, but can’t go on precedent (ie Big Ben, Zeke). They have changed the process since then and it’s an independent arbitrator. Plus he has 22 accusers, not one. 

21 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

No he is trying out for his next team. If he plays well he gets a starting opportunity. If he plays like he don't care he is looking at lesser opportunity and a lesser paycheck

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I can think of $18.9M reasons Mayfield would play for the Browns this season. 

Yeah that should be reason enough for Cleveland to trade him, but its looking like they will need him this season so they won't.

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

All he has to do is claim his shoulder injury is still bothering him,  simple and effective, and there’s virtually nothing management can do about it, 

But other teams will take notice. He needs a new contract next year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.